Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is the paint getting sloppier lately?

With POTF2, Ep 1, and POTJ, there were some specific issues that cropped up from time to time but in general, there weren't a lot of paint problems. Now we're on year 3 of the Saga line and it seems like the more figures I see lately, the more paint slop I come across. Stuff such as eyes being different sizes from each other, eyebrows taking off halfway up the heads, hair bleeding over or being partially unpainted, pupils pointed the wrong way (aka "googly eyes"), you probably know the type. At first I thought it might be just early batches of these figures, but I'm seeing this fairly consistantly throughout the figure's run now.

I do remember some pretty big slop issues with early Saga figures, most notably Kit Fisto, but I dunno, it seems like the slop problems generally don't feel as bad up until about the middle of last year, and then started growing and growing from there.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Is the paint getting sloppier lately?

I know what you mean. Kit had that huge brown spot on his face, Lott Dodd looked like he smoked a blunt, Janus Grejatus looks like he saw a ghost and Dooku with lightning his eyes look like he is autistic. I have a Yoda withg out one fingernail painted also. Hasbro needs more consistency in their paint jobs. Wasnt there 2 different colored Fetts POC? Ridiculous.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I know what you mean. Kit had that huge brown spot on his face, Lott Dodd looked like he smoked a blunt, Janus Grejatus looks like he saw a ghost and Dooku with lightning his eyes look like he is autistic. I have a Yoda withg out one fingernail painted also. Hasbro needs more consistency in their paint jobs. Wasnt there 2 different colored Fetts POC? Ridiculous.
    Yes there are 2 different POC Fetts, but that seems to be a intentional variant.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Yes, I've noticed it too. I posted about some of my views on this on JT's other thread about the bad face sculpts. The biggest offenders of recent finds for me are the Lars Homestead Padmé (I bought a second one online to display with the cloak on, and her eyebrows take up most of her forehead, not to mention the thin wash of her skintone paint) the Mace Windu from the Jedi High Council set with his staring orbs, and the Passel Argente from the Geonosian War Room set which out of the number of sets I saw had brown applied to his face in ranges from sparing amounts to looking like he'd been hit in the face witha chocolate cream pie. Shu Mai seemed to have eye problems in many of the sets I saw ranging from being cross-eyed to wall eyed to one dilated pupil and one pin-prick pupil.

I remember the first figures I noticed paint problems on (beyond the obvious accidental brush slips where a spot of hand paint bleeds onto the sleeve) were Adi Gallia who had mismatched eyes on several of the ones I saw (I didn't end up with a decent one until she was remaindered in quantity at $1.98) and the Ep. 1 Yoda which had varying shades of green on his face. Between then and now, I can't think of any other big blunders, so the quality control was more effective before now.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's finding it to be this way. I remember when Kit Fisto came out, at least 1 out of every 4 had significant paint issues no matter when it was made, and at that time it seemed unusual. Now it seems to be the norm for the line.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah I've noticed this. The materials for the figures and the paint apps have really been going down, it's sad..of course by the materials going down I mean it literally. Most accessories today are like rubber bands. I hope the qualities go up for Episode III, this is getting pretty annoying.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Maybe this is the way to keep cost down since the oil prices keep rising but kid allowances and peoples salaries don't
    Donald Rumsfeld briefed the President this morning. He told Bush that 3 Brazilian solders were killed in Iraq. all the color drained from Bush's face,visibly shaken, almost in tears. Finally, he composed himself and asked Rumsfeld, "Just exactly how many is a brazillion?

I hope it's not a cost issue, they're dumping a lot of coin on packaging like wider bubbles, clear-bands, and pose-oriented more-complicated trays (not to mention those relatively unpopular stands).

Besides, sloppier paint to save a buck ends up driving buyers away, which then costs them more money in the overall.

Arrow

Again, I completely agree with you. Every single paint defect you described, I could probably name dozens of examples of my figures or figures that I've seen in stores.

I remember on April 23rd 2002, the paintjobs were absolutely atrocious. I mean, I even saw a Jango Fett with Abraham Lincoln facial hair, (beard but no moustache) I kid you not. And don't even get me started on the Red Clonetrooper. I think the first batch of SAGA figures absolutely sucked as far as the paint application goes. But it doesn't seem to have improved.

I recently bought Darth Maul Theed Hangar Duel. It took me ages to finally find the best one (out of dozens) and even mine isn't perfect. Check yours and tell me if yours is painted even close to good. I know Darth Maul has a complicated facial design but how long has Hasbro been making figures?

Luke Skywalker - Jabba's Palace. Great sculpt but the paint sucks. The hair isn't painted well. The eyebrows aren't straight. And his face is somewhat dirty. This isn't just mine, every one in the store was like that.
    And get this, that was the 2nd time I looked for Luke Jabba's Palace. The first time I looked, the store only had 2 in stock and the paint jobs on both of them were so bad that I didn't buy one. I chose to wait till I could find it elsewhere. And even when I did find it elsewhere, the paint job wasn't great.

Check your Anakin Skywalker - Hangar Duel. You may have got a good one but really doubt that. Take a look at the hair around the ears. I bet it's not painted correctly. Whenever I've seen this figure, there have always been parts of the hair around the ears and sideburns unpainted. And I don't think I've seen one with good eyebrows.
    I remember when I was picking mine. I was looking through them. I saw onw where there were flesh coloured paint slops all over his shoulder where his Jedi braid is. I saw another with red paint all over his tunic where his pouches had been painted. I saw others with just slops on the face. Slops on his uniform. I was shocked at how bad the quality actually was. It's really damn hard to find a good figure with a good paint job these days.

I've listed a few examples, some very recent and some from the very first saga batch. I would say that SAGA has been consistent. It's been consistently sloppy with the paint applications. It really annoys me. I find it hard to like a figure when the face is all messed up because of paint slop. I honestly can't count the number of times I've had to get a pin and try and scrape slop off my figures.

I would rather they take more time and care on their paint applications than rush them out. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they were a little bit more expensive. I love Star Wars. I'm a loyal fan. I've been buying Star Wars figures on and off all my life and I expect good quality figures for the money that I pay.

Bad paint jobs are my biggest gripe with Star Wars figures. Hell, I will even put up with stupid, annoying, ridiculous, unnecessary, figure-ruining action features just as long as the sculpting is top notch and the paint job is great. (Bespin Duel is my favorite Darth Vader figure.)

Come on Hasbro, please sort it out for Episode III. I want to be able to go into a store, see some Star Wars figures and know that I'll be able to get a good quality product. A well painted, accurate miniature version of my favorite character that really looks like the character it represents.
    Last edited by Darth Trymybestus; 04-20-2004 at 03:08 AM.

Wanted to add another point.

I know that no line of action figures will ever be perfect. I know that with an action figure line, there will always be the odd bad paint jobs. But the problem with Hasbro is that it seems like figures with bad paint are in the majority.

I mean, like I said, when I bought Darth Maul - Theed Hangar Duel, there were dozens of this figure in the store. I examined every one and they all pretty much sucked. I got the best one I could and it's far from perfect.

Same with Luke Skywalker - Jabba's Palace. It should never happen where a collector goes into a store searching for a figure that they have been excited about for over a year, only to find 2 figures... both of them with such bad paint jobs that the collector doesn't buy one.