Burn Baby Burn DVD's!

Well, I bought my new DVD burner a couple of weeks ago and I must say it is GREAT!!!

Data-Hold 4.7 GIGS of data on a single disc! That's almost 7 times the amount of data a standard CD can hold.

Music-Hold thousands of hours of music on a single disc. With new compression technology you can hold more music than you will ever need on those long trips!

Video-Here is where the DVD really pays off! Let's face it DVD's were built for video and they certainly deliver! Now it is possible to convert all those aging tapes to digital format! Like standard videos it is possible to record in a variety of qualities and times, 2 hour, 4 hour or 6 hour! Record your favorite television shows and convert them to DVD. There are a host of DVD authoring programs out there for creating your own personal DVDs.

Copy DVD's! This is sort of a "grey area" in DVD technology. Most DVD copy programs are hindered by CSS copyright protection and region encoding. That is to say, the US Supreme Court has said that it is illegal for these companies to bypass copyright and region encoding.

However, "Fair Use" says consumers can legally make "back-up" copies, and there are a few programs out there that work with a variety of software programs to eliminate CSS and Regional encoding. These programs "plug-in" with other programs and allow users to make "clean" copies of DVD's.

So, say for example, you have a program like DVD Region-Free and you were running a DVD copying program like DVD Copy you could possibly make a non-CSS Region free DVD that would play on any DVD player that is capable of reading DVD-R (or DVD+R) or whatever format you prefer to burn.

That is, provided you buy the original disc and keep the back-up for yourself.

So, does anyone else burn DVD's?
    May the force be with you.

Re: Burn Baby Burn DVD's!

I did it about two years ago in my final year of high school. I had an english teacher who was looking into converting his home videos of his two kids into dvd's. Most of the time was spent taking hours and hours of his home video and editing it into a sort of chronological look on each of his kid's lives.
    Back and more bearded than ever before