Question about vehicle lights and sounds

Something went off in my head today an dI realised I ahd never attempted to use the light / sound feature on either my Darth's TIE or regualr TIE. I popped in brand new batteries and of course nothing happened. I ahd purchased these off teh secendary amrket years ago, so who knows. The original owner probably wore them out.

It got me curious though. Is this common for the vinateg vehicles that had this feature? Does teh feature naturally deteriorate over time or is it just from overuse. Is there a way to clean it up or fix it so it works again?

Any help ont his would be appreciated.

Re: Question about vehicle lights and sounds

You might want to clean off the battery nodes if there is some corrosion. ALso, water might have gotten inthere and damaged the wiring.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

First off, I don't know whether its just me but I can barely what you wrote because of all the typos and misspellings.
    It's not been my experience that overuse is the root cause of the electronics not to work. Underuse I think is the culprit. Its like a car that hasn't driven in 15 years.

Here's what I'd do: First check the battery contacts like kidhuman said. Are they shiny like a new penny? If not clean them. I like to use white vinegar, but any weak acid will do. Try to get the vinegar right on the high points. Next after the battery contacts is the plate contact. The way the TIE fighters work is you press one copper plate into other, if either is corroded it's just like a corroded battery contact. I've had good luck clean these by soaking a small piece of paper towel in vinegar and slipping in-between the two plates.

If that doesn't get her work its time to open them up. The TIE fighter cockpits are bit tricky because the two half are wired together and a lot of smaller parts come loose when you open them. Check all the wires to make sure they connect to somewhere. At this point I drip some vinegar into the motor, I find it really helps to motors running. Let the vinegar set for a bit then give it a try. If this doesn't you may need to replace the motor.

Some other random bits of advice are go slow and think about what you're doing. Try the batteries both ways because the motor should run with the batteries in either way, but the LED will only work one way. And always look for signs of either the LED or motor working, because you know you're doing something right if one starts to work. I hope this help. If you have any more questions or need clarification please ask.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

(sorry about the typos...fast typer + bad speller = messy post)

Anyway..Thanks for the advice!! So far so good. I cleaned up the battery area and I have a working light!! It looks like I may have to open her up for the motor but at least I'm half way there.

(Hopefully this is all helping someone else with the same problem)

Ok, so now I have the light working just like new. I opened up the TIE and dripped a couple drops of vinager into the motor and, lo and behold it worked!! Problem is, the noise I'm getting is very high piched. I'm just wondering what that might mean. It's been about 18 years since I listened to a TIE Fighter noise but I don't remember it sounding like that.

Thanks, LusiferSam for all your help!!

That just might be the aging on it. It might be the way it sounds. I dont remember either, its been about 18 years since Ihad a Tie fighter as well.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I had a Darth Vader's TIE from about '79, and the batteries worked until maybe '90 or so. The "laser sound" was pretty high pitched and I noticed that it got higher as it got older. I'd call it a case of 'Vintage Toy Puberty.'
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I don't know how or if the sound changes with age. I only got my TIE's in the last couple of years. My are high pitched but I think they sound fine. If the sound is changing it must be the plastic, the motor shouldn't be running faster as it ages. But the plastic the gear runs on could be changing. Any way I'm glad I could be of some help.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane