View Poll Results: What do you think of the OT DVD extras?

Voters
302. You may not vote on this poll
  • They look just great

50 16.56%
  • Good, but I want way more

152 50.33%
  • Ok, not fantastic

63 20.86%
  • Not good at all

24 7.95%
  • Who cares about the extras?

13 4.30%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What do you think of the OT DVD extras?

It would seem that GL is sticking a little too close to the formula for the release of the Indiana Jones trilogy.

While there was little documentary footage available for IJ, there is plenty of it for SW, but NONE of it is part of this release. It has some new documentaries and a lot of previews related to EIII.

Basically, GL had not planned on releasing the OT on DVD until 2006 or later. With the success of the IJ release on DVD, he is putting out a similar release to meet some of the demand as well as promote EIII.

I would expect a future 2- or 3-disc per movie set to be available in the future that includes the title-specific making of documentary, deleted scenes, casting videos, frenzy surrounding the release, etc. Of course, who knows what version of the film will be on them.

Not good at all....
    Why?
    No DELETED SCENES...
    No ORIGINAL versions of the films.
    "I Don't Know. Anakin Doesn't Talk To Me Anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by joe-da
    Not good at all....
    Why?
    No DELETED SCENES...
    No ORIGINAL versions of the films.
    Going along with all the scuttlebutt we read constantly on this and other forums I agree that we just won't see the OT on DVD unless G.Lu does a Mike Tyson (goes broke) and needs some quick $$. It bugs me that deleted scenes are being left out, but I chalk it up to LucasFilm doing an ultimate collectors DVD set after EP3's release.

While I am glad for the 10 hours we're getting, I wish they'd include "The Making of Star Wars," that doc. that Don LaFontaine narrated (the guy who used to do the voice overs for every single movie trailer and all of Fox's TV promo ads). Footage from it will probably be included in the Empire of Dreams piece, but it was soooo 70s it's great to watch and laugh at all the Farrah Fawcett wanabees in it.

Well, let's all look at the bright side. At least Ricky Dick McCallum won't be doing the commentaries.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I believe it will be good.

But until they add the following, it will not be great:
    1) Commentary from the entire cast
    2) Original versions
    3) Deleted scenes from each film.

Oh, well, I guess it will come out with the Definitive or Ultimate Edition in 2007.

As a certain Jedi Master said, "Hard to see...always the future in motion."
    [FONT=Verdana]If you wish to contact me, you should contact me via e-mail:swfan3@hotmail.com. Thanks.[/FONT]

Exclamation Re: What do you think of the OT DVD extras?

I put down ok, but not great. Like alot of pepole here I am dissapointed they are not includeing deleated parts in the DVDs or atleast it dosnt sound like it. Id like to see the original versions of the films, but id settel for atleast includeing the original shots that were re done somewear oin the set. It dosnt sound like they are going to have eather of those in the box set though. Unlike with VHS tapes that over time the quality of them becomes less and less, if you take care of a DVD, it should look just as good as long as you own it. there for, I dont plan on buying another version down the line. Im sick of wateing for it to come out and honestly feal that fans of the movies are getting jipped on the wate alone, and now on the features included. And something I DONT want to see are the prevews for episode 3. I want to know as little as possible about it. I dont like paying for advertisements eather. I do plan to buy the DVDs when they come out september 21st, but I wont be forking over more money later on to buy a new version of them unless they have an ungodly amount of features on it for a bargan basement price.
    Dont look at me. Im just here for the cake.

I have seen movie on DVD that had an option to watch the origional or theredone withe extra scenes option. does anyone know if this is gonna happen to these?????
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc
    I have seen movie on DVD that had an option to watch the origional or theredone withe extra scenes option. does anyone know if this is gonna happen to these?????

This will almost certainly NOT happen with these DVDs. GL is very finicky about what he wants to be considered the OFFICIAL version of the movie. these are his babies and he doesn't want anyone else to even have the option of seeing the original, or the cut scenes included. I bet if he had his wishes everyone owning the original version of any of the movies would have to turn them in before getting the boxed set on DVD.

I have seen DVDs that allow you to play deleted scenes and something pops up on the screen during the movie saying "Deleted scene begins" and then after the scene "Deleted scene ends" and the movie continues as normal until the next cut scene. I really like this option, and it usually helps convince me that the scenes were just fine to cut... but I am betting there is no way this will happen to these.
    Skeeziks22

Quote Originally Posted by skeeziks22
    I find it interesting that when most movies come out on DVD the version most people choose is the Director's Cut, or the Unrated Version. But when SW comes to DVD it sounds like most people want the original cut from the big screen, and not the director's final vision. Then again, when most movies come out, both versions are offered.
    In general, most movies where I prefer the director's cut to the original are films where the original was released with studio- or MPAA-mandated changes to the original vision, this is the case with Star Trek:The Motion Picture (which actually has 2 director's cuts, one from a few years ago and one from 20 years ago). But Star Wars:ANH wasn't altered by the studio in any way I know of, and was "completed" once Lucas added the "Episode IV: A New Hope" title to the film in '80, he could have made any changes he wanted at that point (such as Beru's voice, for example of a change that happened at one point) and left it the way we saw it between then and '96.

Moreover, the special editions of ESB and ROTJ weren't even done under the supervision of their directors, and weren't even originally planned to be Special Editioned when Lucas was doing that special edition project, the ESB and ROTJ SEs were whims, arbitrary afterthoughts of Lucas who had the tools out already and said "might as well do 'em all". You can see my full explanation on this in the following thread: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=23018

Quote Originally Posted by ManCan
    Well, let's all look at the bright side. At least Ricky Dick McCallum won't be doing the commentaries.
    Yeah, I was relieved to see him included out. Especially because I was pretty sure Lucas was going to have him sit in on the commentary tracks on these for his "contribution" to the series.

Quote Originally Posted by DTMAN
    I believe it will be good.

But until they add the following, it will not be great:
    1) Commentary from the entire cast
    2) Original versions
    3) Deleted scenes from each film.
    Yeah, that's my take on the situation too. Not even counting the extras from the Definitive Laserdisc set, look at all the content on the Magic Of SW CD-ROM that could have been included on this set.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

As well as the deleted scenes, I would love to see ALL of the trailers and tv spots from 1977-1983.....don't know why they decided to leave them out.

"Ok, not fantastic"

Same reasons as everyone pretty much.
    The extras aren't so important to me, but they're nice to have. Not going to end up watching the documentary stuff over and over again. Tagmac's idea about trailers and commercials is a good one... I'd like that.

Mostly, I would really like "true" archival versions of the films (like some/most have already said) including all old commercials, promos, advertising, TV promo interviews, etc. from around the world included.

Seriously if they came out a few years from now and did a version like that, with just the pre-SE stuff on it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

On the brightest side, no matter what we end up with, it'll be nice to not have to see the stupidly long prequel junk that's stuck at the front of my VHS copies any more.