View Poll Results: What do you think of the OT DVD extras?

Voters
302. You may not vote on this poll
  • They look just great

50 16.56%
  • Good, but I want way more

152 50.33%
  • Ok, not fantastic

63 20.86%
  • Not good at all

24 7.95%
  • Who cares about the extras?

13 4.30%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What do you think of the OT DVD extras?

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    You can see my full explanation on this in the following thread: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=23018

I read ths post of yours and I tend to agree. I never did understand why GL decided NOT to direct Empire and ROTJ, though I guess most fans can be grateful that he did. Curious what they would have been like if he had... better, worse? Who can tell at that time... he did direct ANH and it was a great film.
    But he didn't direct them, and messing with another artists creation is poor judgement, especially when they are not involved in the project. If they could have fixed the ANH Jabba scene properly I would have loved to see it in there. If they could splice Han out and make him step on Jabba's tail they should have just as easily been able to make him walk in front of Jabba using a little photo shop magic to reverse the image so he is looking the other way (ie still looking at Jabba). Other than that the film should not have been messed with (other than possibly restoring it to the original theatre release which i can no longer remember how it differed... any help there?).
    Skeeziks22

I look forward to the documentary and the commentaries. I'm glad theres at least one cast member in them. But I could care less about those extras that have nothing to do with these three films - the video game crap and the Episode III preview, which will be interesting in the meantime but once Episode III comes out we don't need it anymore. These films need the Alien quadrilogy treatment - if extras is what you're after. But it'll still be great to have the 'proper' (sorry prequel lovers) star wars films on DVD, even in their special edition forms, which I, strangely for a prequel hater, actually prefer to the original versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo
    But I could care less about those extras that have nothing to do with these three films - the video game crap and the Episode III preview, which will be interesting in the meantime but once Episode III comes out we don't need it anymore.
    That's what I really hate about DVDs that add trailers before the film. Even though DVDs have the advantage of being able to skip those things, the fact is the trailers and ads (for video games) will become out of date and pointless in a short period of time, while the DVDs and movies on them could last for as long as you care for them.
    Skeeziks22

I've voted for "Good, but I want way more". I think the special features sound amazing, but disapointed with the absence of deleted scenes .

20th September can't come soon enough !

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I personally love to watch extras on DVD's: documentaries, audio commentaries, behind the scenes, etc. And naturally any extra material related to Star Wars is greatly welcome. However one extra I was really hoping for has sadly been omitted....

John Williams' music enhances these movies so much, how can his contribution to our favorite movies be so lightly disregarded? Its a crime that his wonderfully crafted music is not on separate audio channel. I was looking forward to that day, when the original trilogy was released on DVD, watching my favorite scenes without dialogue or sound effects and just listening to the music playing in the background. I would have immediately put in ANH and fast forwarded to the Death Star battle and revelled in one of the best marriages of movie visuals and music in cinematic history.

But I am sure the decision to omit such a feature was fueled by the possible loss of revenue from soundtrack sales. Why buy the soundtracks when they are right there on the DVD?

And to those of you who are not listening to the soundtracks, shame on you!! Put Brittany Spears away for a little while and listen to some truly enjoyable music. Caution: Listening to ANH Tie Fighter battle music could cause you to speed while driving.

Yeah, I was quite surprised that there wasn't a music-only commentary myself. I can only guess this was omitted because Williams is so busy scoring Episode III, so I can only hope that on the next incarnation of the OT DVDs (which will hopefully have the non-SEs on 'em) that they include this feature.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.