TIE Interceptor and TIE Bomber

Well I finally opened up both of these ships today, in order to start on a little display of Imperial air might and to compare the different TIE Pilot figures first hand. I was disappointed with the Interceptor and greatly impressed by the Bomber.

Interceptor problems - the wings are too soft. Mine came out of the box with a slight warp to them, I'm hoping they'll relax into a straighter position. The ship sits off center, and looks crooked from the front. I'm happy displaying it showing the profile anyway, but it would be nice if all sides were looking good. Also, the battle damage doesn't work properly. Both the springs that pop off the wing pieces are very rusty! I store my stuff carefully, and have no other ships with spring pieces that have ever done this to me before. Goes to show that Mint in Box doesn't always mean the toy is in great shape.
    My Interceptor Pilot's head is very loose and wobbly - worse than the Imperial 4 pack stormtrooper's. If he falls from my shelf, he'll likely be decapitated.

Bomber strengths - now this is a sturdy ship. Much heavier and more ridgid than the Interceptor, this thing looks much better on display. The Pilot's head is on a little more securely, but is nowhere near "tight". The action feature works very well and very smoothly. This is one of the most solid ships I've ever owned. Thumbs way up.

I find it really hard to believe these two pieces came from the same place!
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Re: TIE Interceptor and TIE Bomber

I wasn't a big fan of the TIE-Interceptor but I've got the TIE-Bomber boxed and want to tear it open so bad. Most of the vehicles I buy are openers but this one looks so nice in the box and it's rather hard to find mint so it stayed unopened. Looking back I should've bought 2 but I remember all the Saga stuff was hitting at about the same time so I was already spending way more than usual. I'm hoping to pick up the Saga re-packed version at some point to open though. Glad you like your's Reason.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

There is definitely no comparison between the two. The Bomber is another class of ship altogether... not many vehicles in the Star Wars line can compare. Looking at it, I am reminded of those old ERTL models; only this is, as you say, very sturdy . Too bad Hasbro doesn't take the same approach to all their SW vehicles as they did with the Bomber.

I have had the same problems with my Interceptor as you, JJ. I had mine on display for a couple of years before finally stowing it away... the wings never really straightened out. They always looked like they needed a professional alignment. It's a pitiful, wobbly ship that looked out of place beside my Bomber.

I'm thinking now of hanging the Interceptor to take the weight off the wings. If anyone has ever taken the springs out of the wings, and knows how to do this without dismantling the entire ship, please post the instructions or PM me. I don't want that rust in there eating away at everything, and I don't think spraying WD40 in there is going to solve the problem.

I wish I'd taken advantage of that KB sale of a few months ago, when they were offering the new and improved TIE Fighter with bigger wing panels for 15 bucks or whatever, a couple of those would have made a nice addition to my shelf. I fear though (based on reviews posted here) that the quality of that ship is much more akin to that of the Interceptor than that of the Bomber.

Your experience with the pack-in figures sounds like par for the course. I don't remember my Interceptor's springs being rusty, but they could be by now. The Interceptor is using 20 year old molds, while the Bomber is primarily a new design. The only thing I think the Bomber could use is a cover to its bomb loading chute. Oh, and don't feel bad about the KB TIE Fighter, its wings aren't bigger, the improvement on that piece was the modified cockpit (specifically at the back, where they added the Ion window whatever thing) and it still has some of the same old-school problems.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

So the original POTF2 TIE and that KB have the same wings? Maybe I'll dig my old one out and have it up on display as well, with an old POTF2 TIE Pilot. I wouldn't have even gotten started on this but for seeing the new TIE Pilots at WalMart the other night. I left them for new collectors as mine are coming from the US, but I might break down and buy an extra one if they're still in stock next time I visit.

EDIT: I actually went ahead and did the operation on my Interceptor - I split the pod in half in order to remove and clean the springs. My concern was largely whether or not I would be required to split a piece with a decal on it in order to do this - you don't. The ship came apart fine, and was simple to reassemble. The only dangers would be not making sure you know where each specific screw came from (there are 3 types used), and making sure the action feature works as it did before. It took me two tries, but it's back together now and looks fine. Not sure how great the WD40 will solve the problem, but I did get a bunch of rust off the springs, and believe that I've at least stemmed their decomposition for now. The pod is identical to the POTF2 TIE Fighter, except for the colour and one touch of black paint on the newer ship.
    Last edited by jjreason; 04-26-2004 at 05:03 PM.

I can't be 100% sure about the POTF2 TIE Fighter wings as I never bothered to get that piece, but I've been told that they are. These are the same size as the Vintage ones, but with sculpted and painted details instead of stickers. I don't know why Hasbro redid the pod but not the wing size on this set, could just as easily NOT attached the wings in shipping.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.