Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Force Lightning

Force Lightning

Only the dark side possess the power to expell lighting right. Yoda didn't though, he absorbed Dooku's lighting and shot it back. Only the Dark Side posess that power right.

Re: Force Lightning

I wouldn't say that only the dark side posess' the power, but more that only the dark side use it. I think the Jedi could use it if they liked, but it is considered a dark act so they do not use it.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I agree with Pendo. Its a trait of the Sith. The Jedi wouldnt use it becuase iof the peace loving nature and only using a saber to defend themself.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

"I've become more powerful than any Jedi, even you."

One of my favorite lines. I was totally blown away when I first saw Dooku use the lightning.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Yeah, and I was totally blown away when Obi-Wan used his lightsaber to defend against it. Why didn't he teach Luke that trick?!?!
    May the force be with you.

I feel that Yoda only harnessed the power (he didn't create it). What labels the power as light or dark would depend on the intent of the action. This is my opinion of coarse. Now since this power is created by the force attuned, wouldn't everyone have the capability of using it?
    "He's no good to me dead."

Yoda seemed to have trouble harnessing it when it hit him. Maybe he just redirected it.
    Kind of like a bunt in baseball.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I think the reason is that the lightning is an offensive use of the Force, and as Yoda taught us in ESB it should be used only for "knowledge and defense".

And Luke might've instinctually used his saber to defend himself, but he threw it aside when he realized how close to the Dark Side he had come when fighting Vader. We can hear it clatter off to the side... Does anyone know what happened to it? Did it end up falling down the shaft? Does he have it at his side when he returns to Endor? I know that in the EU he still has it.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Quote Originally Posted by dr_evazan22
    I think the reason is that the lightning is an offensive use of the Force, and as Yoda taught us in ESB it should be used only for "knowledge and defense".

And Luke might've instinctually used his saber to defend himself, but he threw it aside when he realized how close to the Dark Side he had come when fighting Vader. We can hear it clatter off to the side... Does anyone know what happened to it? Did it end up falling down the shaft? Does he have it at his side when he returns to Endor? I know that in the EU he still has it.
    I always persumed it fell down the shaft, don't remember seeing him wear it after that scene, but I could be mistaken.

When Luke throws down his saber saying "I'll NEVER turn to the dark side", I think that is the most powerful moment in movie history, it's my all time favourite movie scene ! I'm glad Luke didn't deflect Palpy's force lightening with his saber .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I think Luke tosses his saber away and it lands on the floor just in front of the stairs. It doesn't seem like it'd go into the chasm since he's standing at the front of it and throws the saber forward and to the left. My guess has always been that Luke simply calls it back to his hand after the scene ends as he's carrying Vader away, maybe even Vader had to tell him to get it (that might have been a cool scene, Vader showing Luke that the boy truly is a Jedi now).

Anyway, Evazan22 has the answer, I think. Force lighting is an offensive weapon, and the light siders don't use the Force that way. IIRC, the Obi-Wan/Vader battle in ANH actually was written with them using their Force powers against each other while they battled, stuff like lightning and mental attacks and whatnot - I always figured this is part of why their battle doesn't seem so over-the-top busy, they're not trying to whip blades around like a ballet, they're focusing all their internal Force powers against each other and using the sabers with just the most direct, basic moves needed.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.