Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: How many of us are openers?

I used to be a MOC collector who bought a few extra figures to open...

Now the tables have fully turned, and I open about 90% of the figures I buy.

I have a carded Vader collection that I'll keep going with, and a few vintage and rare items. I also bought an extra set of animated figures to keep sealed 'cause I love the way they look in the package, and I'll probably do the same with the Vintage OTC stuff. But for the most part, it's gotta be opened!!

I owe my turn around to the last time I had to move. Took a look at my collection and said "I have to move all this crap??? ...and keep it mint too?!?!?" Ended up selling most of it.....

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    if I couldn't enjoy these as toys, I wouldn't bother, they'd just be large Trading Cards to me otherwise.
    Wow, I like that!

I never thought of it that way, but that's exactly what they are, oversized trading cards (expensive too)
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

I take the best of both worlds. If it's window boxed I usually buy 2 of each of it so I can keep one in pristine condition, the reason I started doing this was because I realized accessories could be lost, the figure worn out, paint scuffs, etc.. However if I got one to keep in package, then even if my loose sample broke, I could still enjoy how it looked "fresh."

If it's a completely sealed box with no window box though, then I just get one since that's the only way to see it at all.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic

Kidhuman, what do you ever plan on doing with your vehicles in boxes?? Do you at least display the box of them?? It's kinda to me but hey, each to there own. I am curious though whether you display them in their box or what have you.

I used tyo display them all in the box. TRight now they are in a tote until I get a bigger house. Maybe one day when I have enough room, I will open them all up and display them properly. Alsio want the kids to be older as they would touch everything and knock them over. I do have the figures on the wall(280 of em.). I open my Lego's and display those. The only boxes I have displayted vehicle wise is the Tie Bomber and Hailfire Droid.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I use to never open anything, a 100% carded collector. Now I open a figure that looks worthy, which is rare. At that point I buy 2, got to have a complete carded collection. I open all the Unleashed, a few 12" and ships. So I guess I'm now a 100% carded collector, but open a few extras.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Mmmm, I am a bit of both.

I open:

Vehicles
    12 inch (the few I own)
    Unleashed
    Extra favorites 3 3/4 inch figures

I usually buy 3 3/4 inch figs to keep carded, then I buy extras to open, if they are cool. I also buy a bunch of Army Builders to open.
    May the force be with you.

I open everything.

I started out buying three of everything; one to open, one to keep carded, and one to trade or whatever, but stopped doing this when the Mon Mothma wave came out and I had a hard time finding even one of everything (even when that wave was plentifula and cheap later, I never went back). Now I just buy one of everything, and pick up occassional figures for my kids too.

I used to buy two of each vehicle, until the AT-AT came out, then stopped doing that as some items were expensive, and others too hard to even find one of. All my vehicles after the AT-AT are still boxed, only because I haven't had any place to display them, and this way nothing will get broken. I just hope none of these are missing parts.

The only figures I have carded right now are the animated style clone wars figures, simply because I really like the packaging. I haven't decided what i'll do about those yet. Even the Ephant Mon I payed $25.00 came right out of the card as soon as he arrived.

Keeping this mint on card is senseless. None of these will be worth more than $10 or so down the line. Anyone expecting these things to reach the values of the vintage figures is out of their mind. How many thousands of these things do you think are out there MOC right now?

This is the same attitude that killed the comics industry about 10 years ago--a lot of speculators hoping that keeping their mint copies of the death of Superman in mylar bags was going to make them money, but since millions of other people had the same idea, they are all worthless. The reason the vintage figures are worth so much is that people opened them and played with them (like me) instead of worrying about how much they'd be worth MOC later.

Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey
    Keeping this mint on card is senseless. None of these will be worth more than $10 or so down the line. Anyone expecting these things to reach the values of the vintage figures is out of their mind. How many thousands of these things do you think are out there MOC right now?

Senseless you say??? Well for one, I dont have to paint the walls in this room. The 280+ figures cover it nicely. ALso, I dont keep them that way for money, I happen to think they look great displayed that way. They never lose any weapons or such, dont fall over and behind other things, and look awesome. But thats just me. If I had to keep them boxed up, I would most likely open them to save on space.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I've said this on other threads, but this one's a good place to repeat it. Right now, I'm in the midst of packing, and man do those boxed vehicles take up space inside boxes.

On the plus side, all my loose figes, in ziplock baggies with their accessories fit very nicely in one of those approximately 3' x 1' x 1' plastic tubs. That's 600 or so figures in one tiny space. It's heavy as can be, but it's a lot less space on the truck than 600 MOC figures will take up.

The biggest problem I had with displaying my loose figures was the domino effect of one falling over and knocking over a dozen or more other figures. Especially with the ridiculous stances some of them have to be positioned in to stand. I was tempted to have a limbo game diorama with some of them. At my new digs I'm planning on building shelves with step-like elevation on them as well as dowel pegs for the feet holes, so that i don't have to worry about them falling over. I've also taken to leaving the invisible rubber bands on a few of them to get around the weapon drops.

...and KH, as long as you're not doing it as an investment, that's okay. I admit, they do look cool on a wall, but trying to do that with 600, I'd need a barn or something. I had a firend who bought shelving from a Bradlees when they went out of business, and had his MOC figures displayed on the pegs as if it were the best stocked SW aisle on the world. It actually looked really great, especially with the boxed vehicles and Ep 1 display with it.

Hmmm, well to each their own. Lots of people like keeping them carded. I for one like collecting carded Non-US packaged figures as well as regular carded figures. Some say Non-US carded figures are worth less money. Who cares, I don't collect for money, nor do I pass judgement on the way anyone else collects. Who am I to tell someone else what is or isn't ok to to with their collection.

The great thing about collections, are that they are all unique to the individual collecting.

Sure, these will never command the $$$$ of vintage, but that is a good thing! How many of us can afford to buy the vintage MOMC? I sure can't. But I will always have my 95-current MOMC. Noone will be able to worm $500.00 out of anyone for a POTF2 OC Stormtrooper. That's good for the hobby. In fact MOMC collectors probably end up doing more good for the hobby than anything.

None of these will be worth more than $10 or so down the line. Anyone expecting these things to reach the values of the vintage figures is out of their mind.
    Umm, yeah, I'm pretty sure anyone who has collected Star Wars figures, post EP1 is fully aware of that.
    May the force be with you.