Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: How many of us are openers?

I open mostly. Toy quality and play value has always been really important to me as a collector. The only way to judge that is to open them up... to feel and smell the plastic. But I love the packaging also. If I could afford it, and if I had the room to store or even display everything, I'd do both. As is, I'll only keep a double of the ones that I like the most carded or boxed. Also trying to keep at least one of every card or box style in my collection.

I'm a total pack-rat when it comes to the card backs and stuff also. I'll open a figure then toss the paper stuff in a drawer for future "reference." Sometime years later I'll go through this one filing cabinet drawer and throw everything away... but it's so hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mina solo
    Impresive, very impresive, we the openers are outnumbering the MOC I used to think that it was the other way arround
    Oops. I don't want to miss my chance to chime in.

I am proud to say, that I am a carded collector. From carded vintage, Ewoks, Droids,POTF-2,Ep1,POTJ, and Saga. I a collect modern vehicles MISB, as well as vintage MISB, as well as alot of other SW related toys.

Why? Like many, I like the way they look carded. I've said it once and forgive me if you've read it before. Carded collectors can become loose collectors in a few minutes time, although for a loose collector to change to carded it takes a ton of money and a lot of time. Maybe the day will come when I go on a rage and rip open everything, but till then locked in their prisons they are.

Although in all honesty it's a good thing that I am a carded collector, because if I was a loose collector I'd prob have to call in sick to work half the time because I'd be at home waging huge SW battles

IMO opinion it doesn't matter what type of collector you are. We're all in it for one large reason; the love of the movies.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

Quote Originally Posted by Banthaholic
    IMO opinion it doesn't matter what type of collector you are. We're all in it for one large reason; the love of the movies.
    That is absolutly (sp) right
    Donald Rumsfeld briefed the President this morning. He told Bush that 3 Brazilian solders were killed in Iraq. all the color drained from Bush's face,visibly shaken, almost in tears. Finally, he composed himself and asked Rumsfeld, "Just exactly how many is a brazillion?

Well I used to be a MOC collector only but I started to buy an extra for opening if it was a decent sculpt around 98. Today I still buy one of every basic carded figure and they hang on every wall and almost all the way up my vaulted ceilings in my room devoted to my collection, but I get way more enjoyment out of opening these days. Building a few dioramas really got me into army building and opening in general, now I have multiple shelves of loose SW figures divided into their respective episodes. I put all my figures on REAL action figure stands (the best stands out there for SW figs IMO) so they never fall over and I can put them in cool poses. I've even started to enjoy customizing a bit but I'm still pretty new at it. Still I do agree with those of you who said leaving the figures in their package is a great way to display them, but opening is so much cooler when you have the room to put them out. If I had to store all my loose figures in bins like some of you I probably wouldn't enjoy my hobby as much. Everything in my collection has a place in my room and for me presentation is the key, even if I'm the only one who sees it. The only other thing in my room is my PC and I thoroughly enjoy sitting in there for hours surrounded by toys while I surf the boards here at SSG. Some of my friends have even joked around calling the room my fortress of solitude, which is rather appropriate I suppose.

As far as vehicles go I have a few that I've kept boxed, but only if they have a window box. Other than that I open all my vehicles and Unleashed figures as well. I just don't see the point of buying a cardboard box and never looking inside it. For all you know it could be filled with rocks, you'll never now unless you open it.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

I don't open anynmore, just dont have the room, easier to keep them in the package and store them in the original cases they ship in.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

My name is Chris

(hi chris)

I have been a opener for the past six years. I have now gone for two months without opening anything.

The temptation was hard to beat at first but I bet if I could do it so can you.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.[/FONT]

I am an opener FINALLY.

I am moved into the new house and finally have room....maybe too much...I am looking at doing dioramas now.....

Is that a problem?
    Collect 2 Collect (if you see someone damaging stuff kick them in the shorts!)
    Great Traders Slicker,KIDD,Rebo's_Guitarist,TURBOWARS,OC47150,
    bobafrett,Jay86,Lman316 & Dark Marble!

Yes, Traitor
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I buy doubles of figures like many of you (one to open, one to keep carded), but I haven't been opening anything since the last wave of Episode I.

That will change soon as I need to free up some storage space for new things.

A few Ep. I + all the POTJ, SAGA, & Clone Wars to open... it's gonna be like Christmas!

Payback is a mother...while some of my stuff was in storage....alot of the cards' edges curled....and I said "oh well"....My wife that it was fun to open them up until I brought in a box with 64 figs and said let's get crackin'!!!
    Collect 2 Collect (if you see someone damaging stuff kick them in the shorts!)
    Great Traders Slicker,KIDD,Rebo's_Guitarist,TURBOWARS,OC47150,
    bobafrett,Jay86,Lman316 & Dark Marble!