Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Best/Worst remakes or covers?

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    Manfred Earth Band - Blinded by the Light (i think this version is the cover version)
    Yes it was a cover. Originally done by Springsteen. ANd I do believe it was Manfred Manns Earth Band. Another great cover they did was Mighty Quinn originally done by Dylan.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Phish's cover of Los Lobos "When the Circus comes" is a great cover tune. I must say that my all time favorite cover is probably the Gords cover of "Gin and Juice". I giggle like a schoolgirl everytime i hear that tune.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Raven's cover of "Born to be Wild" (steppenwolf) is AWESOME (JBF, find it if you can, you will laugh yourself to tears)

Agreed on Len Kravitz "american woman" horrible pos that is

Motley Crue- "shout at the devil" on that generetion swine, where they covered themselves, AWESOME

"Kill the King" (the "Rainbow" tune, not m-deth) as covered by Hammerfall (also their cover of "Man on the Silver Mountain")

Gamma Ray- any of their covers (notably "Long Live Rock and Roll", 'nother Rainbow tune)

Motorhead's "Cat scratch Fever" is fun

GnR "mama kin" lotta fun

Any cover that is exactly the same as the original kinda stinks (especially if the solo is copped note-for-note, that really drives me) if you're not gonna interpret it, might as well just rip the arrangement and make a slightly different song, that way at least it seems like you've created something
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

The entire Honkin' on Bobo, Me and Mr Johnson, and Trouble No More albums by Aerosmith, Eric Clapton, and John Mellencamp, respectively.

Also, with only a couple of exceptions from American IV (Bridge Over Troubled Water and Desperado), any Johnny Cash cover from the American Recordings period. Especially Rusty Cage, Hurt, and One.

Dweezil and Ahmet's take on Baby One More Time was actually good enough to make me like the song. (At least when they do it.)

As long as I've got the Reverend Billy avatar, I should recommend his hysterical take on the old blues classic, There Is Something on Your Mind.

As for bad, one that comes immediately to mind: in KB last week, I heard what sounded like Britney Spears doing She Blinded Me With Science.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Speaking of Britney, one of the funniest covers is Mr. Bungle doing Hit Me Baby One more Time. Check that one out. Guaranteed laughs.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Tool did No Quarter? I have to hear that. Which album?

Good:
    Metallica's "Stone Cold Crazy" ...and most any other song Metallica has covered.
    Wallflowers "Heros"
    AAF "Smooth Criminal"
    Sheryl Crow "Sweet Child O' Mine"
    Fear Factory "Cars"
    Van Halen "Pretty Woman"
    Jimi Hendrix "All Along the Watchtower"
    Garth Brooks "Hard Luck Woman"

Bad:
    Anything by Lanny Kravitz
    ...and Marylin Manson
    ...and Puff Daddy or whatever he calls himself
    ...and anything covered by those pop artists like Mariah Carey, Brittney Spears, and that Simpson girl
    ...can't forget anything by William Shatner
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

I wouldn't even say that what Puff Daddy does is even a cover. He creates some horrible song that happens to include a catchy riff from other great songs. I guess a lot of rap and industrial do that but his stuff is more than just borrowing a sound sample, he almost rips the whole song. That one that used The Police "Every Breath You Take" was a bit much.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I forgot, anything by Richard Cheese is pretty funny.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

i think the following are pretty good covers:

gary numan's 'metal' by nine inch nails
    'the light pours out of me' by ministry (can't remember who did the original)
    nine inch nails 'hurt' by jonny cash
    diamond head's 'am i evil?' by metallica
    led zepplin's 'dazed and confused' by cave in
    'please don't touch' by headgirl (can't remember who did that originally either)

and motorhead's version of 'catscratch fever' might be ok but their version of 'god save the queen' is a bit ropey. not as ropey as megadeath's version of 'anarchy in the uk' however.
    come one, come all/chalk your eyes/blood for gall/this isnít the same world/your children are offerings/bow down/give thanks for their scant sufferings/chalk your eyes/the bigger the god so small the man/just this wooden horse remains

is this what you fought for?/green order/green order

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue II
    Tool did No Quarter? I have to hear that. Which album?
    It is off the album Salival. It came in a box set type deal with a dvd. Awesome set actually which I believe is now out of print.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."