Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Best/Worst remakes or covers?

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    It is off the album Salival. It came in a box set type deal with a dvd. Awesome set actually which I believe is now out of print.
    another good choice. i had to hunt so hard to find salival in the uk and i could only get the video version. another really good song on that cd is 'you lied' which i believe is a cover of a song by peach (justin chancellor's band before he joined).
    come one, come all/chalk your eyes/blood for gall/this isn’t the same world/your children are offerings/bow down/give thanks for their scant sufferings/chalk your eyes/the bigger the god so small the man/just this wooden horse remains

is this what you fought for?/green order/green order

Arctangent, agreed on the 'pistols covers, what a trainwreck, almost as shameless as the originals, and why bother if that's the case???
    And RAMONES by Motorhead, which was a sort of fake cover, that became a real cover, that tune is Awesome (best thing about catscratch fever is how Lemmy changed the lyrics cos he thought they were too crude )

Oh, Big Sugar's version of Crosstown Traffic (Hendrix) and their cover of "Dear Mr Fantasy" are fun (the Traffic version done with mega feedback and stuff, totally sweet)

Butthole Surfers "Sweat Loaf", sort of a cover, funny as heck

Manowar doing "Sting of the Bumblebee", "William's Tale" or their recent cover of Elvis' "An American Trilogy"

there's more, soooo many in fact
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by mabudon
    Manowar doing "Sting of the Bumblebee", "William's Tale" or their recent cover of Elvis' "An American Trilogy"
    Their cover of Nessun Dorma is actually really good as well. Manowar rocks.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Metallica and the PET SHOP BOYS have improved upon every cover they have ever done.

Guns 'N Roses cover of SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL is unfriggin' unbelievably cool.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    Metallica and the PET SHOP BOYS have improved upon every cover they have ever done.

Guns 'N Roses cover of SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL is unfriggin' unbelievably cool.

Janes Addictions version is way better.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Must agree about Jane's Addiction to Sympathy for the Devil....incredible!

Let's not forget one of the kings of covers......Joe Cocker! I just love when he does a cover!

I will agree with alot of the best covers...
    GNR "Knockin on Heaven's Door"
    Alien Ant Farm "Smooth Criminal"
    U2 "Helter Skelter"
    etc.

but let me throw in a few odd ones.....

Billy Idol "Don't Forget about me" good
    Vanilla Ice "Ice Ice Baby" horrible (I acutually liked this one until I found out it was him doing a cover of himself!!!!!)

That Jessica Simpson cover of Take My Breath Away is terrible.

Metallica has not improved upon every cover they've done. Their MF medley is good but nothing could ever top Fate doing those songs . . . if Hetfield would have refrained from trying to sing King's lyrics and just left it as an instrumental, it would be an even better tribute.
    I like their Last Caress cover but I'll take the Misfits version any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel18725
    Let's not forget one of the kings of covers......Joe Cocker! I just love when he does a cover!

I will agree with alot of the best covers...
    GNR "Knockin on Heaven's Door"
    Alien Ant Farm "Smooth Criminal"
    U2 "Helter Skelter"
    etc.
    joe cockers version of with a little help from my friends is pretty good, better than the beatles original infact imo.

guns n roses cover of knocking on heavens door just summed up evrything that went wrong with them, however. axl hasn't got the voice to pull it off - clapton's version is way better. someone should have taken axl aside and said 'knocking on heavens door? november rain? just say no to dodgy covers and crap ballads and get on with doing what you're best at'

and fear factory's cover of nirvana's school from their new album gives it a well deserved of a kick up the arse !
    come one, come all/chalk your eyes/blood for gall/this isn’t the same world/your children are offerings/bow down/give thanks for their scant sufferings/chalk your eyes/the bigger the god so small the man/just this wooden horse remains

Met improving on covers, I would like to bring up the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song, "Loverman." Not really a great cover at all. Though I do understand Hetfield choosing to cover the song, he's a Cave fan and I know that sparked interest in fans to check out Nick Cave. Still not a great cover, though.

But they did perform as "the Lemmys" for Lemmy's 50th birthday party, so that makes up for the Nick Cave thing. Who cares if it was three years before they covered Loverman, honoring Lemmy makes up for anything.

Now to eagerly await hearing the cover Motorhead recorded of Whiplash...
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    But they did perform as "the Lemmys" for Lemmy's 50th birthday party, so that makes up for the Nick Cave thing. Who cares if it was three years before they covered Loverman, honoring Lemmy makes up for anything.

Now to eagerly await hearing the cover Motorhead recorded of Whiplash...
    they looked pretty funny all dressed up as lemmy ! i didn't know motörhead had recorded a cover of whiplash - should make interesting listening.

another of my favourite covers i have just thought of is 1000 homo dj's version of sabbath's 'supernaut'.