Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What rumors do you remember from back in the day?

This maybe a terrible thread, but I'm going to go for it any way. As a kid I remember hearing rumors left and right about SW toys. Here are a couple of the better ones.

Han the Imperial Guard: My best friend tried to convince me that the Imperial Guard's head was really a helmet. It was glued on (for some reason) and that if you took it off the head underneath was Han's. I don't know if it was because I was the only one in my group to have the Imperial Guard or if it was something my friend heard have someone else. In either case I told him to break his own toys.

Solid Belly Tauntaun: Now obviously this one is true, but as kid I knew it as a rumor. Some kids at schools said that they knew of a cousin or friend of a friend that had a Tauntaun with a solid belly. The only one I had ever seen in stores was the spilt belly version and the only one any of my friends had were spilt bellies. All of us dismissed as a rumor.

Lumat and Warok, one and the same: You wouldn't believe how many people told me Lumat and Warok were the same figure. One of the last figures I got as a kid was Warok and that was at a time when most of my friends were getting in to G.I. Joes and MOTU. But every once in a while we'd play with SW. At some point my friends would call Warok Lumat and I'd have to correct them. But no one would believe me. The card which was my best piece of evidence went MIA and the coin people thought was a gag.

Any way do you guys have any rumors or the like from way back when?
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: What rumors do you remember from back in the day?

The whole Revenge of the Jedi thing.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Not necessarily toy related, but I remember when ESB was just a rumour, and this kid told me a long, elaborate story about how either Darth Vader or Han Solo (can't recall) having some kind of rash (I know, I know) was going to figure prominently in the next film...

I also recall seeing blue snaggletooth and thinking he was a fake

And a buddy of mine had that wind-up R2D2, I couldn't understand that for the life of me....

Ohhh, just recalled... when the ads started running for the mail-away Boba Fett, there was one spot that featured some stop motion animation, and somehow it totally convinced me that you could wind up fett's head and he would walk, unassisted.... I was so disappointed when I finally got him.... one of my buddies actually brought his into school and we took turns throwing it at a wall til he came apart, he hated it that much
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Well, I can dispell the solid belly Tauntaun myth, that's the only one I ever had or saw anywhere. The split belly one came out later, and my brother and I didn't duplicate anything in our Star Wars collection back then.

I spent a great deal of time looking for a "secret" figure - the white Hoth protocol droid - when ESB came out. My friend painted up a C3PO (actually must have been a big brother, as it was pretty well done if I remember correctly) and told me he had gotten it at the local Consumers. Never could find it, and it never showed up on any packages. As a completist (even back then) that had me stressed out like crazy!
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Not necessarily a rumor as much as a debate, but I recall the "holster" strap on Hoth Han, where you could attach his gun. However, it only fit properly if the gun was backwards (handle towardds front, barrel at back), and we wondered if we'd stumbled onto a little trick by Kenner, if they goofed, or if we just tried something they didn't intend.

I believe there was an urban legend that if you mailed in for the Survival Kit with backpacks, gas masks, guns, etc., that you could ask them for specific accessories; not true.

I also recall the blacked-out catalogs and card backs where Ewoks would have been; it just made me want to know more about these mysterious creatures.

I don't really remember any other "rumors," as I was just so happy to find a new figure back then!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos

I also recall the blacked-out catalogs and card backs where Ewoks would have been; it just made me want to know more about these mysterious creatures.

That irked the hell out of me. Made me wonder as well.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

what about the "rocket-firing" boba fett?? I remember getting my first one from mail-away and me and my friend couldn't believe the thing didn't come out! I'm not sure if somewhere it was said that it would and then they changed it or that it just really looked like it should come out so we just assumed that it should have?

about the movie, my stupid friend's mother (she was a *****y mary kay sales woman ) told me han solo got frozen at the end of the movie...thank god I thought like a kid back then because I imagined him frozen in this huge block of ice

by the time I saw the movie, I'd forgotten about what that horrible lady had said. And I'm not sure how she even knew becuase I went and saw it as soon as it came out? I guess there were rumor mills back then too

this is a good thread, really made me think of things I was doing back then, which I love to do!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Here's a few more old rumors I remember.

Tatoonine Skiff was never made: Be honest, did you know anyone that had this vehicle? My general experience is that most never saw in stores or knew any body that had. With that said there were obviously people that bought them, but only a minority. So some of my friends thought it never was made.

TIE Bomber was made for figures: I'll attempt to starting this one. As a real little kid I was unaware of the difference between the die-cast toys and the larger 3 3/4" scale toys. So when I saw the die-cast TIE Bomber in a Kenner catalog I assumed it was for the 3 3/4" figures.

Rocket firing Fett: The mail away for Boba Fett happened before I got into SW toys (I was 3 or less at the time). So I don't remember any of the unhappiness caused by the non firing version. but a couple of years later my best friend told me the that the red missile was meant to come out. He said nothing about it firing, but that it was meant to be loose.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason
    Well, I can dispell the solid belly Tauntaun myth, that's the only one I ever had or saw anywhere.
    I'm in the same boat. My friend and I only knew/saw the solid belly version. We both thought it was dumb that it didn't open up. And it wasn't until years later we found out they did have one with an open belly.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I had always thought that the Cantina Band were made as a mail-away set, it wasn't until the early 1990s that I realized they never existed.

Another rumor I remember was of more ewok figures, including Wicket, Teebo and Logray in ceremonial garb along with an ewok mother and woklings. I also thought there was some kind of animal-drawn cart made. This was all told to me by one of my next-door neighbors, and now I'm thinking that he might have seen some pictures of the Playschool style ewok toys and mistook them for new action figures.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis