Thread: That Reek's

That Reek's

Over at theforce.net, has reported on what the Reek (from the Arena fight) MIGHT look like.

By now you've heard about the Reek, right? As I looked through your site I saw lots of stories about it and thought you might want to know a bit more. This is the fellow that appears near the end of the film in the arena with Mace and the gang on Geonosis.
    Anyhow, he's bright red on most of his top and the entire face, with little tan spikes (bumps) running over his back and around his sides. His horns are blended between red and cream and he of course has that large silver ring like a bull through his nose.

From this red on the top half it turns to a dark green and then tan on the bottom. His legs are almost stripped between this dark green and sky blue. I kid you not.

So although this may sound a bit off compared to what people might have been thinking when they first heard of the character, those are the official colors in the final version of the Reek.

Sounds interresting, concidering this creature is rumored to kill many Jedi in the Arena... What do you all think????
    Last edited by Co Jo-Da; 12-16-2001 at 12:34 AM.
    The Force is strong with this one.

Of course, that's my opinion I could be wrong.

We've seen a non coloured reek but not a coloured one,I cant wait to see it
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

um i dont know.
    it will look pretty weried with the red blues and greens.
    i gess well have to wait until gl releses a pic.
    the kit

I think this conjures up a vision of a primary coloured beasty with mismatched splodges of colour all over the place. I reckon old Reek will be coloured much more subtley than that. The Kaadu from TPM was pretty colourful but wasn't really garishly bright so I reckon this is somehow what the Reek will look like with all those colours. Of course he probably has those colourings to blend in more with his habitat on Geonosis which is red rocks and red dirt and red everything by the looks of the place. So this'll most probably be just natural camouflage for the Reek.

Or TFN have been shafted by someone trying to discredit them

I don't know, Jargo, "Dark green and Sky Blue pinstriping" would be pretty hard to see against the red, rocky, barren tone on geoneosis. I think it's the perfect camoflage!

(oh wait...this isn't the Blatant Lies thread is it... darn.)

rollo, if you know anything about camouflage then you'll realise that more often than not the coloured markings on an animal don't match the environment they seek to hide in. The colours are there to match the shadows that fall on the terrain.
    When the Reek is in repose the top half would show as the legs would be tucked underneath and the blue and green wouldn't show only the back of the Reek with it's spiney knobbles. Therefore the Reek would be perfectly hidden from predators against the red rocky landscape. The green and blue are most likely warning to other creatures that the Reek is not one to be messed around with. That's if the Reek is these colours. I was watching the making of documentaries again today and there's a scene in one where a technician hands George a maquette of the Reek and it's blue on top with lighter blue and cream markings down the legs. No red in sight. But guaging this beast against all of the other beasts George has come up with, I'd hazard a guess and say that it ends up being the same dull browny green/greeny brown as all the rest of them.

Exactly Jargo! Zebras are black and white and their environment isn't black and white. It's the patterning of the coloration that's important. Besides, maybe the Reeks are not native to Geonosias. Maybe they were just brought there for entertainment, much like lions being brought to Rome for gladiator battles.
    Lucas: "Stop that, my hands are dirty."

Rick: "So are mine."

Long Live Yaddle.

Star Wars Episode III: McCallum's Revenge aka "It's freakin' awesome!"

And to go along with what I said, maybe the organisms that live on Geonosias don't use the same spectrum of light that we do. Maybe to those insect dudes, those Reeks blend in perfectly. A lot of moths/butterflies use ultraviolet patterns that we cannot see unless we put them under UV light, but other insects can see them. So maybe in the context of how organisms visualize wavelengths of light on a certain planet defines how that organism camouflages itself.
    Lucas: "Stop that, my hands are dirty."

Rick: "So are mine."

Long Live Yaddle.

Star Wars Episode III: McCallum's Revenge aka "It's freakin' awesome!"