Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The boy is our last hope.

Ben(in ESB): The Boy is our only hope
    Yoda: No, There is another.

So, this would lead me to believe that Ben did not know that Leia was Lukes sister. Did Yoda hide that fact as well from everyone? WHat are your thoughts on this. Sorry if this topic had been discussed already.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Re: The boy is our last hope.

I had never thought of that but it would seem that Ben didn't know that Leia was the other child of Anakin/Padme or that their was another child to begin with.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Hmm, I always thought, Ben just didn't think of Leia as a viable option. It's not like Obi-Wan got a big surprised look on his face when Yoda said "There is another." he just loked up as Luke took off. Besides, who would really be there to train her after Luke left, remember Yoda was getting on in his years, Luke was lucky Yoda hung on long enough to train him.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    Ben(in ESB): The Boy is our only hope
    Yoda: No, There is another.

So, this would lead me to believe that Ben did not know that Leia was Lukes sister. Did Yoda hide that fact as well from everyone? WHat are your thoughts on this. Sorry if this topic had been discussed already.

No, Ben knows all about Leia, but as SK says, Leia wasn't really a choice for one reason or another. After all, this is ultimately a Father/Son storyline not a Father's Daughter one. Dragging Leia into the whole Jedi Training thing had Luke failed would have hopelessly diluted the main plot line.

Remember, both Ben and Yoda know all about the lineage, but have distinctly different views over the possibilities concerning the redemption of Anakin. Obi Wan believes beyond the shadow of a doubt that the personality of Anakin is dead and gone. Yoda never really says one way or another, but he isn't beyond waffling on it, particularly when he sees how adamant Luke is about saving the guy from damnation. Granted, the Prequels aren't exactly illustrating "the good man who was your father," as Obi Wan expressed it in ROTJ so anything can happen at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    No, Ben knows all about Leia, but as SK says, Leia wasn't really a choice for one reason or another. After all, this is ultimately a Father/Son storyline not a Father's Daughter one. Dragging Leia into the whole Jedi Training thing had Luke failed would have hopelessly diluted the main plot line.

Remember, both Ben and Yoda know all about the lineage, but have distinctly different views over the possibilities concerning the redemption of Anakin. Obi Wan believes beyond the shadow of a doubt that the personality of Anakin is dead and gone. Yoda never really says one way or another, but he isn't beyond waffling on it, particularly when he sees how adamant Luke is about saving the guy from damnation. Granted, the Prequels aren't exactly illustrating "the good man who was your father," as Obi Wan expressed it in ROTJ so anything can happen at this point.

Okay, lets take this into consideration. Obi is with Angakin when Padme gives birth. Yoda is with her(might also help explain why Yoda and Padme were together in the CW cartoon.) All Obi would know is she wags pregnant and gave birth to Luke, whom he hid. Yoda gives Leia to Bail and calls it a day, doesnt say anything. Its a secret that he carries with him until he tells Obi-Wan in ESB. The less that know the better in this situation. I am going to watch ROTJ later tonight to see exactly what Ben tells Luke and then comment on this further.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

I always had the viewpoint that Yoda is speaking of Darth because if Luke turned to the Darkside there would be noone to train Leia. Ben was a ghost, and Yoda was on his way to being one, and they both knew it. The only hope was that Anakin could break from his hero worship of Palpatine. If he got his head clear and think of all that he did he would set things right.
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaff
    I always had the viewpoint that Yoda is speaking of Darth because if Luke turned to the Darkside there would be noone to train Leia. Ben was a ghost, and Yoda was on his way to being one, and they both knew it. The only hope was that Anakin could break from his hero worship of Palpatine. If he got his head clear and think of all that he did he would set things right.

I think you're on the right track here. We know that Leia wasn't able to tap into her Midichlorian supply enough to see Jedi ghosts so her only shot at being trained (if Luke either turned or died) was by Yoda. But as we see, Yoda was on his last legs as it was. This isn't to say that there isn't Jedi Speed Training available. Afterall, Luke managed the technical stuff fairly well in a relatively short amount of time. The rest of it was all mental (control etc) and when it comes down to it, that part of his training was unnaturally expedited by the traumatic situation with his father. Most Jedi didn't have that sort of thing available to them so their "maturity" had to come more slowly. Luke had no choice but to grow out of his naivite or die in the process. He also had a period of time in which to digest this familial relationship thing. Had Luke turned or died, Leia would have none of that buffer zone before getting a visit from a strange green gnome who would tell her a lot of really heavy stuff. Granted, she's a strong character, but that's a lot to heap on anyone all at once. I don't think that Yoda was willing to take that sort of chance at losing such a patriot for the Rebellion just so that the Jedi could continue through her.

Ok watched ROTJ last night:

Ben: The other is your twin sister
    Luke: But I have no sister
    Ben: To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden when you were born. The Emepror knew gas I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring they would be a threat to him. That is why your sister remains anonymous.

Ok. Was she made known to Ben on Dagobah agfter Luke left gand Yoda told him? Afterall,he was dead at that point, so he could not tell anyone really except Luke. Maybe if Obi-Wan knew about Leia he wouldnt of given himself to the force in ANH. He doesnt hint either way if he knew or he didnt know.

I am just tossing questions agnd some possibilities out there. I am not saying this is what happened. Just some discussion pieces.

Jaff, that is also a good point you made. By giving Leia to Bail, she could fight from the inside, being a member of the Imperial Senate. Each hgad their own destiny to uphold. Lukes was to physically take down the Empire while Leias could have been more systematical. Hopefully G. Lu. can clear this all up in EP3 for us.

ANother question is why didnt they find other Jedi in the 18 or so years of waiting for Luke?

Non-serious response:
    Obi-Wan had practiced his line for several occasions, so the others went like this...

Ben: "That boy was our last hope." (meaning Luke)
    Yoda: "No, there is another."

Ben: "That girl was our last hope." (meaning Leia)

Ben: "That wookiee was our last hope." (meaning Chebacca)

Ben: "That half-man, half-machine was our last hope." (meaning Vader)

Ben: "That clone was our last hope." (meaning Boba Fett)

Ben: "That Gran was our last hope." (meaning Ree-Yees)

I think you get the idea.

Serious response: I think that since Luke had the 'ben'efit (pun painfully intended) of Obi-Wan's short training, as well as the desire to defeat Vader, Obi-Wan felt Leia, if she were willing, would take more time to develop as a Jedi than Luke. Luke was apparently a stronger Jedi Force user, so maybe Leia's abilities would simply have been less strong, too. And the obvious reason would be that Lucas simply wanted some suspense put into the story, leaving this mysterious "another" anonymous for the time being.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Just to throw my two cents in, I will subscribe to the theory that Yoda told Ben in ESB after Luke left Dagobah. There was no indication when Ben saw the hologram message from Leia in ANH asking for help that he knew Luke was seeing his sister. He never mentioned going to rescue his sister or anything like that. It is entirely possilbe that in EIII that Obi Wan is not present at the birth of the twins, only Yoda. That way neither Bail nor Obi Wan know the existence of the other child. Obi Wan never tells Luke in ROJ that he separated him and Leia just that they were separated.
    -GO WINGS!!!!!!

"Be excellent to each other, and....PARTY ON DUDES!!!"