Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any ideas on how to display the Ultra Ewok w/ Glider?

I've been thinking about this issue since I picked up the set last week, I just can't figure out how to display the Ewok flying his glider without some sort of hook-n-string dealy which I'd rather avoid. I like the set enough to display it, I even gave the set a B+ in my review yesterday (points off were for flimsy support bar, problematic support bar rope, annoying steering bar situation, only 1 articulated wrist, ball-jointed head too limited, and glider slightly too dark), but there's just no way I can see to display this thing. Because I live in earthquake country, I want to try to avoid hanging it since I'd hate to have it crash down on a bunch of figures that aren't using any stands, and also because I'd like to take it out once in a while without a hassle. However, it's also pretty rare for me to be interested in displaying an Ewok toy at all, so I want to do it while my interest is still piqued.

I was thinking maybe of stringing it up to the underside of level 3 on my 4-level Ultarama display, have it hang over my ROTJ rebels. I was thinking I could just use 2 clear-bands, attach them to the Ultarama underside somehow and then stretch them around the center pole on the glider, but unless the bands are fairly close together, the glider will still be at risk of falling (and Ultarama stands are designed to let the figure pop out of the display if something like that happened rather than allowing the peg to break off).

Anybody have some ideas here? Anybody actually displaying theirs right now?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Any ideas on how to display the Ultra Ewok w/ Glider?

You might try perching it on a stand of some sort. You could make one similar to the thing in this pic with supplies from a craft store. I have no idea what to call this novelty toy, so I took a picture of it. It sits on the entertainment center in the living room and when I first got the Ewok, I stuck him on it for a couple days. It's one of those things with the little monkey that wobbles down the pole when you slide up to the top of it. It has a wooden ball on top that the glider is balanced on. If you make one, you could put a little pronged piece on top instead of a ball. I plan on doing that if I ever drag myslef to a craft store.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ewok_stand.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	8273  

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Because I live in earthquake country, I want to try to avoid hanging it since I'd hate to have it crash down on a bunch of figures that aren't using any stands.
    You're worried about an earthquake being strong enough to cause your suspended ewok from crashing down, but not being strong enough to topple a bunch of standing figures without stands?

Sounds like you are being a little optimistic there.

Vadersfist's idea is a good one. i haven't gotten around to displaying nine yet, but I imagine I'll hang it using two loops of fishing line anchored to single hook screwed into the underside of a shelf. The two loops with a central anchoring space has served me well since I displayed my die-cast vintage ships over 20 years ago. Aside from adjusting the balance, you can easily alter hanging vehicles and stuff so they can appear to be banking. they are also easy to remove as they are merely suspended in the loops vs being tied, and I only had one fall, when I used a hook that wasn't strong enough for the object suspended from it.

Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey
    You're worried about an earthquake being strong enough to cause your suspended ewok from crashing down, but not being strong enough to topple a bunch of standing figures without stands?

Sounds like you are being a little optimistic there.
    LOL, yeah JT, whats up with that? I was in the Northridge quake and the models I had hanging in my room at the time did not fall. Just hang the thing with fishing line like I did. As long as you can tie a good knot and install a toggle bolt, you wont have a problem.

One thing about the Glider that bothers me is that the plastic is too rubbery again and the rope thingy above the Ewok bows up while it should stay straight.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

The only way I thought of was to hang it from the seiling or something. BUt Vadersfist looks really nice. If you build an enclosed diorama, hang it from the top of the display.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Vaderfist, great idea there, I don't know what that novelty is called either but you've put it to good use. I may use something more like a banana bunch hanger so I can have it "floating", but that's definitely based off the idea you've presented, so thanks very much.

I'd like to find something with a flat or even empty base (so only the arms of the hanger are the base) so I can put figures underneath it, maybe I should try mocking one up with a coat hanger... or maybe I should just use the coat hanger mock-up.

B'Omarr, living on the 4th floor as I do, I'm more concerned with smaller earthquakes which get amplified by being on this top floor. Usually in smaller quakes, as opposed to devastating ones like the '94 Northridge, my free-standing figures fare well with at most only 2 or 3 figures falling - but when stuff falls on 'em, it turns into a toppling domino situation.

Turbo, my apartment actually still has damage from that quake, so I'd be very concerned with stuff falling out of the ceiling and the walls more than anything else, which is why I haven't hung up any of my ships or stuff like that.

One thing about the Glider that bothers me is that the plastic is too rubbery again and the rope thingy above the Ewok bows up while it should stay straight.
    It's rope, it should be rubbery. But seriously, do you mean the part of the rope that is at the very front between the 2 halves of the vehicle, part of the "steering bar" situation? I've found that on mine too, it only bothers me a little, but I suppose you could remove and flop the steering bar ropes so it's pointing down (the steering bar would initially be pointing straight up in the air, but I think you could fix that).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowars
    I guess they all do that. If the wings would stay flared back as though the glider was riding the wind, they would pull the rope straight. I have mine hanging from a shelf support now. I thought when I hung it with line it would pull the wings back, but it isn't. Looks pretty neat, though.

I really like this set. It's very cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ewok_shelf-ed.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	8444  

Thanks for the pic of it. I just got an Ewok village and anm going to build a display with myloose vintage figures and some modern ones. I was wondering how to hang the glider and that looks good. It also means I willneed topick up the Endor AMbush 4 pack to get more Ewoks and a biker scout.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I fixed the rope on the glider. I glued a small straighten paper clip behind the rope and it worked beautifully, you can't even see it.

You don't have to get fancy on how you hang the glider. I tied one string of fishing line in the middle on the glider and it balances perfectly.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Anybody have the Complete Galaxy 'Wok? I'm using him as a ground trooper. He's hefting his rocks over his head, ready to brain somebody.