View Poll Results: Which spirit/holo style of figure is superior?

Voters
460. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old style - clear, blue, & little else

154 33.48%
  • New style - clear & properly colored

306 66.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Which spirit/holo style of figure is superior?

I like the old style. The new ones just don't look like holograms/ghosts. The new ones have this glitter effect to them that makes me cringe.
    The new ones get an A for effort, but Hasbro should have realized how horrid they look, then stuck with their clear blue style.
    Besides, why change styles during a run? It's inconsistent.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I really like both versions almost equally buuuuuuuuut, there's just one thing that made me choose the old style and that's seeing my Jedi Spirits three pack up against the ewok village background...just looks COOL! They stand out more, like a hologram/apparition should.

GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic
    They stand out more, like a hologram/apparition should.
    Not ever having seen a spirit (other than movies of course) I always imagined having to look twice before being sure what I was seeing. i don't think they should stand out quite so much as the all blue "old" style. However, I don't think the new ones are translucent enough. Other things bother me about the new ones as well... Luke isn't nearly tall enough (the movie hologram was about ten feet tall) and Obi Wan comes with a lightsaber.

That said I think it would take very little to make the new style really good... simply increase the transluscency. The all blue was cool not having had anythign like that before... now they are improving (with room to improve even more) so why go back to lesser accuracy?
    Skeeziks22

HEY, you skeeziks, I was referring to how they are in the movie you skeeziks! They stand out like a sore cartoon thumb!

GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Well.....

The old Blue ones are really nice, but kind of statuesque. The new colorful ones, give depth to the figure. They did more than just stand there in the movie. They moved around and all. I voted for the "new" style. The only gripe I have is lightsabers?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I think they're on the right track with the new style, but they haven't gotten the paint quite right yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic
    HEY, you skeeziks, I was referring to how they are in the movie you skeeziks! They stand out like a sore cartoon thumb!

Their "aura" is what makes them stand out so much. If you look at Obi-Wan on Dagobah and especially on Hoth you can easily see right through him... the Blue old style spirit figures are quite opaque and you can't see anything through them...

I am happy you seem to like my name though.
    Skeeziks22

Am still waiting to see the new Obi-Wan to decided personally, but I have high hopes for the new version. I liked the old ones, even though the original Obi-Wan was more a hunk of plastic than an action figure, but it still was extremely cool at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    Well for me this is a 2 part vote but I voted old style.

The old style Holograms look better than the newer color versions IMO. As I stated in the other thread the color isn't the problem its that they aren't translucent enough. The progression from all blue to color holograms is accurate.

As for the Jedi Spirit figures I'd have to say I prefer the new color versions over the old frosted all blue look. The Jedi Spirits always had a bit of color to them in the films anyways, making these newer versions more accurate. I do think they should tone the color down a bit and have more of a blue aura around them though in order to set them apart from the hologram figures though.
    I thought about having 2 middle questions "I like the new Holos but not new Spirits" and vice-versa, but ultimately axed it for simplicity's sake. In retrospect, I should have put them in and just risked the potential confusion for clarity's sake as I am genuinely curious on this issue as to what folks are thinking about these.

I agree with you about the Holo figs not being clear enough, but I voted for the new style none the less, this new style just seems better to me (on both fronts). To me, Holo Sidious is not an exception here because the character was dressed in all black and only showed fleshy face & hands, the figure portrays this well (although the paint on mine is a bit uneven). That's not to say the blue Spirit figs of old didn't amuse me, they were ok for their time, but they're not up to snuff anymore.

Skeeziks, on top of translucency, I think Hasbro also needs to lighten the fleshtone plastic colors several shades beyond what they THINK they need because so far they look like they're another ethnicity.

I can't imagine how they'd do a three dimensional aura, that affect works on 2D because it's just an outline, but in 3D it really would be surrounding the figure entirely, which wouldn't really look very good I think.

I'm really surprised to see the new ones winning, most of the posts go the other way and when I last saw this poll it was a close race with Old slightly in the lead.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The new ones look really cool, with the color and glitter effect. The new ones look more like they did in the movies. (as spirits) I think the old blue ones should be used as holographs, and the new ones should be used as spirits.