View Poll Results: What are your feelings on the Fan Club/Hyperspace merger?

Voters
255. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looks great, I'm very impressed

27 10.59%
  • Seems good, I'll probably join

39 15.29%
  • I don't like it, but I might join

63 24.71%
  • Very dissatisfying, I won't join

97 38.04%
  • Don't care / no opinion

29 11.37%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What do you think of the Fan Club/Hyperspace merger?

Recently, Lucasfilm announced that they had reacquired the Official Star Wars Fan Club after 17 years and were making some significant changes, including:

• merging the Fan Club with sw.com's Hyperspace online membership service
    • renaming it "Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club"
    • changing publishers on the Star Wars Insider magazine
    • lowering the issue count on the Insider to 6 per year
    • raising the cost of membership to $39.95 a year
    • revamping the membership kit
    • discounts on certain items and other perks at the official online Star Wars store
    • discontinuing Insider-only subscriptions
    This makes Lucasfilm the 4th company to manage for the Fan Club in as many years. Current members of the Fan Club are not being carried over to the Hyperspace Fan Club, instead being invited to join Hyperspace at full price and treated as Insider Subscribers only until their subscriptions run out, even though members paid $10 more to join the previous Fan Club than Insider-only subscribers.
    * Correction, current members of the Paizo-run Fan Club will receive "offline benefits". -JT

So what is the Star Wars fans' take on all of this? Are you excited, are you going to subscribe? Vote now and voice your opinion.

Re: What do you think of the Fan Club/Hyperspace merger?

I voted "very dissatisfied", mainly because "it is total bull****" was unavailable. I am looking forward to see how many people have positive things to say about this merger, and hope that they post their opinions. I am having a LOT of trouble finding anything positive about this, and could use the help. Next issue is Paizo's last, I can't wait to see what kind of job Lucas does with my future issues. . . being that I am a "subscriber" and all. What kind of fan club kicks-out their current members, and demands more money to rejoin. . . huh?

Why isn't anyone answering. . . ? OH. . . I see, Lucasfilm are the only people STUPID enough to use such tactics. Total bull****!!!!!!!
    Star Wars : The Arcade Game (Atari 2600) World Champion

I don't like spoilers, so I don't care if I read Insider again until after Episode III. Once my subscription runs out, I'll buy it on the newsstand if I want to read it.

I admit, if they do another exclusive figure I'll probably do what it takes to get it.

I don't care if I am ever a "fan club" member again. It just isn't worth it. I think the fan club has changed hands four times since I became a member. I'm tired of not being appreciated as a fan!

Question Re: What do you think of the Fan Club/Hyperspace merger?

hmmm Im confused, Im suscriber to SW Insider and also suscriber of SW Hyperspace since it first went online, so i dont really understand how this will afect me, i mean do i get anything more?

I dont care for discounts and stuff since i dont live in USA but i do like to get info and the magazines, so..... what in it for me?
    [SIZE=4][b][COLOR=darkRed][KOC][/COLOR] [COLOR=cyan]Darklighter[/COLOR][/b][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett07728
    I am looking forward to see how many people have positive things to say about this merger, and hope that they post their opinions. I am having a LOT of trouble finding anything positive about this, and could use the help.
    I completely agree, I have been very curious to hear positive statements about this because I am totally coming up blank on that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett07728
    What kind of fan club kicks-out their current members, and demands more money to rejoin. . . huh?
    Yes, great point. I was totally stunned by that move, it just seemed so dishonest to the fans who were already members.

Quote Originally Posted by [KOC] Darklighter
    hmmm Im confused, Im suscriber to SW Insider and also suscriber of SW Hyperspace since it first went online, so i dont really understand how this will afect me, i mean do i get anything more?

I dont care for discounts and stuff since i dont live in USA but i do like to get info and the magazines, so..... what in it for me?
    Wow, I hadn't really thought of that, since you're not in the US or Canada, how are you going to get the stuff you want? I believe there's a $20 international Hyperspace subscription that adds a few membership perks (the ones you just said you don't want) but that's only the website, what about the magazine? That's another can of worms altogether - according to the FAQ, you can't get the magazine anymore OR a membership kit!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm very dissapointed on how the merger is taking place. While I had toyed with the idea of joining the hyperspace section, I don't like things forced down my throat. The real reason I am a member is for the one or two exclusive deals that are dangled out there for us. In hindsight it is probably stupid of me to $25-$40 to get the opportunity buy a figure that I could get on ebay for $5 more. But once again I will join because of promise of exclusive figures and first class treatment at Celebration III (you remember all the perks from Celebration II don't you??? ).

I myself am disappointed in this. The Star Wars club could be an incredible property considering the number of fans and the extent of their love for it. The fact that Star Wars is poor to their members is very sad. Many examples:

1. I have no idea when my magazines are coming. sometimes they show up one or two weeks after newsstand. Also, with the issues being, 8 per year, I can't even expect it every month or every other month.

2. When the fan club was running the online store, everything was out of stock or sold out within a short time. Exclusives were rare. Instead, I could buy watches of Star Wars, or books that were available everywhere. But I couldn't find things like the badges or the pepsi can collector case ever.

3. Celebration II: How many things did I want to buy that they were sold out of (not Jorge) that I couldn't get.....I think it was four things. Never to be offered again, and I was in line on the second morning.

Hey Lucas: How about real exclusives, benefits, information, discounts, privilages at events or screenings.....

How about passports that can be stamped or embossed at events to commemorate events and to celebrate our fandom.

I been a fan and collector for 26 years, but I'm getting tired of it all. The Hyperspace thing really irked me since movie web sites are used to promote the movie. Fans should be able to go there and get more info about things they are going to spend money on. I should not have to spend money to view content designed to make me spend more money! I did not subscribe to Hyperspace, and I actually stopped going to the official site since I figured the good content was behind the "members only" door.

I subscribed to the Lucasfilm fan club mag from the early '90s up until the first time it was sold. They totally lost me. Issues would come randomly to the point where I was not sure if I was still a member or not. I never got a renewal notice, so I just let it go.

Have to pay for the web site,
    Too many reissued figures/ships,
    Can't ever find the new figure sculpts,
    New movies could be better,
    Buying less and less
    Getting saturated,
    = ready to quit.

Ever since Paizo took over the Insider has been improving over what WOTC had done. I'm hoping that the improvement continues, maybe Lisa Stevens and Vic whats-is-name will be kept on to keep some continuity. Who knows? I don't really have a problem with the FC going to LFL. I think that that is what should have happened instead of WOTC. This move may even be fallout of that debacle.

I wish they had kept the 8 issues per year, but I don't really have a problem with 6, it sets a regular schedule.

It sounds like LFL is trying to do right by the fans by offering the exclusives, I'm looking forward to them. I've been a member now for 11 years and I'll sign up again. And what's the problem with the price? Hyperspace was 20, and the membership used to be 20 for 6 issues.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Click the to see my feelings.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten