Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Day After Tomorrow

I have to say that the disaster/survival genre really does it for me as a filmgoer. I'm surprised that there has been little if any discussion of this movie on these boards yet.
    I know that movies of this type tend to have a general sort of love/hate relationship with movie audiences, even more so when they involve Roland Emmerich or his frequent filmmaking buddy. I do have to say, however, that this one looks to be a winner. I caught a special ten minute preview of the flick earlier this month at San Fransisco's Wonder Con and I was heartily impressed. The acting looks at least decent from what I've seen - I expect good things from this cast, by the way - and the special effects look outstanding (just as one might expect from a film of this type)! I greatly look forward to checking it out. How 'bout you folks?

Re: The Day After Tomorrow

I'll probably see it, but I'm not sure when. Not too hyped about it. Independence Day and Godzilla were cool in the theaters as popcorn flicks, but get harder and harder to watch as time goes on.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I am going to see it. The movie is based off a book by Art Bell, who's radio show I enjoy.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Coast to Coast Art Bell?

I didn't know that. That show has held some talks about some very weird stuff.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Well I'll be checking this out Friday. I think it looks promising but I definately fall into the worried category here. "Independence Day" and "Godzilla" were complete crap IMO, heavy on effects and light on story, but I'm willing to give this film a shot.

I'm with you RooJay regarding the enjoyment I get from disaster movies, especially if they have zombies in them.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now dont take this the wrong way but I think youve been holding out on us.

Joker: I dont keep count. Im going to kill everyone in this room.

Wasn't the original premise of The Core the same exact thing -- a series of disasters every (fill in the blank) years?

I think I'll be passing. Especially with Shrek 2, Harry Potter 3, Spidey 2, etc, etc, etc; it just doesn't seem to be on the same level.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I got burned out on natural disaster movies about 6 or so years ago when they were released by the dozen. The special effects do look outstanding but I think I've been burned one to many times to go to a movie just because the trailer looked cool.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Wasn't the original premise of The Core the same exact thing -- a series of disasters every (fill in the blank) years?

I think I'll be passing. Especially with Shrek 2, Harry Potter 3, Spidey 2, etc, etc, etc; it just doesn't seem to be on the same level.
    Actually, I believe the Core (I have yet to see it) was a "we screwed ourselves, now we have to stop it and save the day" kind of thing (weapons testing or something of that nature). This one is more of a "this would've happened regardless, and we're totally screwed no matter what we do so we'd better make the best of it". There seems to be something regarding a massive excess of greenhouse gasses that escape from a pocket in the arctic ice that ruins everyone's day. I'm sure there'll be some mention of global warming caused by pollution speeding things along, but I'm certain there'll be no "our only hope" last ditch efforts to prevent the disaster to provide the typical Hollywood happy ending in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    Coast to Coast Art Bell?

I didn't know that. That show has held some talks about some very weird stuff.
    Yep, the same one. Art only does the show on weekends now, but they always have interesting topics.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lando In My Pants
    I am going to see it. The movie is based off a book by Art Bell, who's radio show I enjoy.
    then why aren't there any aliens in it? and i didn't see dennis quaid doing any remote viewing!

my take.................it's pure communist propaganda. just joking.......really

seriously, it was OK as a disaster flick, once you get past the obvious political digs at bush and cheney. they cast a president and VP that looked just like them. SNL couldn't of done any better.(in fact i would of loved to of seen will ferrell playing the pres) they even had "bush" ask "cheney"........"what do i do?" at a crucial point......and made it plainly obvious that the VP was really the one running things.

it's too bad some gullible kids will walk away believing this crap.......

this film would of been better suited for a made for TV movie of the week, but was still better than van helsing!

if you want a recent movie to see, then see in them this order:

troy, man on fire, mean girls, the day after tomorrow, and if you're really desperate, see troy again, and then van helsing, or just rent rollerball.
    Last edited by derek; 05-28-2004 at 04:14 PM.