Hybrid View

Will this year's "vintage" figs spark a re-interest in real vintage?

I love the "retro" packaging on the DVD tie-in figures, and especially the cloth accessories (of which I've been requesting for quite some time for the rereleases). Do you think this will remind collectors, and inform new ones, of the old figures? Not just increasing their value, but just the memories and such. Maybe lead to a Saga version of some of the figures never made by Kenner, but in 80s style molds? That'd be cool.

Thoughts?
    "That's what Sheev said."

Re: Will this year's "vintage" figs spark a re-interest in real vintage?

Well, there are some who said, in the past that, they didn't want Hasbro to reproduce the vintage cards because it might lower the value of the vintage line. Of course that idea included reproducing the original figures as well as the cards.

Overall, I don't think it will cause any real spike in value for the vintage line.

There may be an increase in SW collecting with this new line, but I don't think a lot of new collectors will go running to collect the vintage stuff, especially when they can have these modern vintage to remind them of the good old days.

Unfortunatly that means these may be harder to find at retail.

Hey, you know what would be REALLY cool!?!?!

If Hasbro did a VOTC Tri-Logo line to go with these for our buddies up north!!!

Last edited by sith_killer_99; 05-30-2004 at 12:22 PM.
    May the force be with you.

First off I think it will create more confusion. I personally dislike the term vintage for items make between '78 and '85 (but seeing is how the the tidal is against me). But using "vintage" or even vintage style is a terrible idea. I'd bet later on this confusion will drive people from real vintage collecting.

Any way, I truly would hope that OTC line (a much better name) would interest or re-interest people in the vintage line. I've also found that vintage collecting was much more satisfying and fun then the modern lines. And I guess I'd like to share that with other folks.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    Maybe lead to a Saga version of some of the figures never made by Kenner, but in 80s style molds? That'd be cool.
    I would love to see prequel figures in the classic 77-85 style. As long a Hasbro didn't make classic trilogy figures, I don't think vintage collectors would mind too much. Heck, it might even create an interest in the actual vintage figures. Didn't someone make some really cool custom AOTC vintage figs not too ong ago?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I hope it doesnt spark too much of an interest. I want to start getting some carded and if the interest is peaked prices that are kind of over-inflated will go up.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I don't think the new Vintage line will spark much interest in the old line. I think there is enough SW product available at retail to keep most people focused on that. I do think you might find some collectors who don't collect the newer stuff but were into the Vintage line picking these up because of the fond memories associated with them though.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I hope it doesnt spark too much of an interest. I want to start getting some carded and if the interest is peaked prices that are kind of over-inflated will go up.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. It seems like there was a price peak a couple of years ago and has came down since then. But don't told my word to closely, I haven't been keeping track of prices like I use to. But it would be real easy for those prices to go up again with an increase of interest.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"

Thumbs up Re: Will this year's "vintage" figs spark a re-interest in real vintage?

I'm not a carded collector, but seeing the "new" vinatge packages might lean me towards keeping these sealed. Now, if I can find them NOT in a speculator's shop for gouge-the-public prices...
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. It seems like there was a price peak a couple of years ago and has came down since then. But don't told my word to closely, I haven't been keeping track of prices like I use to. But it would be real easy for those prices to go up again with an increase of interest.

The one vintage I want before any of them is a vintage Bobafett, and his price has dropped about 40 bucks over the last year. So they doflucuate, but right now, there is no high demand like there once was. Patience is the key and finding the right auction at the right time.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    Patience is the key and finding the right auction at the right time.
    So true. I got burned by buying my ROTJ Y-Wing 8 months before the POTF2 version came out. Had I waited I would have gotten it a lot cheaper. And that's just what I did with the TIE Interceptor. I couldn't touch one for less then 80 bucks before the POTJ version. After that I picked one up of for like $35 .