Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Asking for thoughts on some horror films

It's that time again. It's time I ask some opinions on some horror films that I have never seen but have read about in various places.

The Devil's Backbone
    Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy, Blade 2) directs. It's a Spanish film and it's set during the Spanish Civil War in an orphanage. That's really all I know about this film. I think there's supposed to be a ghost involved with the story, too.

Tell me, has anyone else seen this and have comments about it? There's a Special Edition DVD being released the same day as Hellboy of this film, and it's cheap. Thoughts?

Jacob's Ladder
    I know it stars Tim Robbins as a Vietnam vet and he has some freaky experiences. He has some very disturbing experiences with various images, like seeing his dead kid. I've been told it also influenced the Silent Hill games, so that's a plus. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Session 9
    It stars David Caruso...and it involves some guys cleaning out an abandoned asylum. Yeah, I don't know too much else about it. Again, I think this is a ghost film, too.

The Wicker Man
    Iron Maiden's song comes to mind whenever I think about buying this film.

Anyway, a police officer from Scotland is looking for a missing girl. He is led to some island, some cult stuff occurs, and it's supposed to have one "helluva" ending. Oh, it stars horror vet, Christopher Lee aka Count Dooku to SW nerds.

So go ahead and throw thoughts out there about these films. I've not seen a one, and have been on the fence about buying them for awhile. Especially the Wicker Man, it comes in a wooden box for a DVD case! Thank you, Anchor Bay.

(hope this thread gets more replies than my last horror question thread for The Eye)
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Re: Asking for thoughts on some horror films

Cool more horror threads!!!

Unfortunately I've only seen one of the films you're inquiring about JBF.

"Jacob's Ladder" is a great film, it's actually the first DVD I purchased once I got a player. The movie is filled with shocking and disturbing images that constantly make you question if what you're seeing is actually real. I've heard some opinions from people who had a problem with the surrealism of this film but to me thats the main appeal. You never know what to trust and find yourself analyzing every scene in an attempt to make sense of what is going on. Truly mindbending and one of the best psychological thrillers I've ever seen, I highly recommend it.

You're right about the Silent Hill connection, it did serve as inspiration for that game. I read an interview with the game's creator around the time Silent Hill 2 came out and he was asked that question. He was also asked what other movies he drew inspiration from and he mentioned another one of my favorites, "Suspiria." He made a point to say he thought it was the scariest movie ever made.

I would like to see "The Devil's Backbone" as well. I like Del Toro's work for the most part and think this might be good. I wasn't a fan of "Mimic" but "Blade 2" and of course "Hellboy" were great. He also made another film called "Cronos" that was just released on DVD that I plan on checking out as well.

Make sure you post your comments once you've seen "Jacob's Ladder," I'm interested in what you thought.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Oh, definitely, Hellboy. I always revisit these threads of mine where I ask about horror films. I did it with The Eye after I acquired it, and I did it with Below, but I think that was at Steve's dvd board.

I should use my mod powers to sticky this thread, but that probably falls under some abuse of power rule.

As for Jacob's Ladder...I think I'm going to purchase it here in a minute, Hellboy, along with Session 9 and a preorder of The Devil's Backbone. The Wicker Man is more expensive, so I'll wait on it.

As for Cronos, I hear good things about it, too. It's another Spanish language flick of Del Toro's. Vampires, I think, is what it is about. I hope it's not dubbed on DVD. Dubbing movies has always bothered me.

Yeah, so I'll let you know about that movie when I see it, which should be sometime next week when I'm back in Cincinnati for the summer.

I just want to see some lesser known horror films instead of the usual Hollywood fare and very popular movies like Nightmare and Friday.

Cronos and The Devil's Backbone are both great. These are the movies that made me know that Hellboy was going to be all it turned out to be. I have Cronos on vhs and The Devil's Backbone on DVD, and I'm upgrading to the new DVD. The Devil's Backbone has perhaps the coolest looking ghost of any movie. It's one of those movies I'm always trying to convince other people to watch. Cronos is not dubbed. Ron Perlman is in it as well and he gives a great and comedic performance.

Jacob's Ladder is also really good. I haven't seen it for a while, and fear that it might not date well, even though at the time of its release it was quite cutting edge in many ways. Prior to its making, it was considered one of the best unproduced screenplays for about a decade. It also features Jason Alexander with a full head of hair.

I have not seen Session 9

I have only seen part of The Wicker Man due to a black out. What I saw was really good. My college roommate, whose taste coincided nicely with mine, raved about it. I beat myself up about not having bought the boxed DVD set that came out a few years ago.

If you buy it and hate it, let me know, maybe I'll take it off your hands.

Hellboy and B'Omarr, you two, I like.

I need to start bringing up some more horror film questions 'round these parts.

I'll let you know about The Wicker Man. The Wooden Box DVD is out of print, but it was available for sell from amazon.com recently, and I resisted the urge to buy it. Just that DVD case has me wanting to own it.

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    Hellboy and B'Omarr, you two, I like.

I need to start bringing up some more horror film questions 'round these parts.
    Thanks JBF.

Horror films are always a welcome topic as far as I'm concerned.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Well, I just ordered Jacob's Ladder and Session 9. I also placed that preorder for the Devil's Backbone SE.

I'll let you know about them as I receive and view them. Session 9 is a backorder right now, so it may be a week or two before I get a review, but I'll give my views on Jacob's Ladder as soon as I'm back home next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    Thanks JBF.

Horror films are always a welcome topic as far as I'm concerned.
    Likewise...

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    Session 9
    It stars David Caruso...and it involves some guys cleaning out an abandoned asylum. Yeah, I don't know too much else about it. Again, I think this is a ghost film, too...

... (hope this thread gets more replies than my last horror question thread for The Eye)
    Hi JBF,

I loved Session 9. So much so, that I bought it from Play.com so I could watch it again whenever I wanted. I am not sure if it was released in any cinemas but that should not prejudice anyone against this wonderful flick. Rather than repeat myself, here is the link to my earlier review of it in VTs much-visited "Flix we partook of over the hump" thread.

I would also add to that review that I like the lack of SFX and the fact that most of the small cast have their own little stories. Check it out for sure!

jeddah
    edit: - I loved The Eye too. That is, if we're talking about the foreign language version. I wish the Western Films would take a leaf out of Japanese suspense movies such as this and lay off the overpowering soundtracks.
    eVerlasTing

Quote Originally Posted by jeddah
    I loved Session 9. So much so, that I bought it from Play.com so I could watch it again whenever I wanted. I am not sure if it was released in any cinemas but that should not prejudice anyone against this wonderful flick. Rather than repeat myself, here is the link to my earlier review of it in VTs much-visited "Flix we partook of over the hump" thread.

I would also add to that review that I like the lack of SFX and the fact that most of the small cast have their own little stories. Check it out for sure!
    That's my plan. I've ordered it on DVD from deepdiscount for under $10 total. I just love checking out movies that are not big release titles and watching them. I love the surprises they usually bring, something that a lot of bigger budgeted and heavily advertised horror seems to lack. I'll check out your review in that thread, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeddah
    I loved The Eye too. That is, if we're talking about the foreign language version. I wish the Western Films would take a leaf out of Japanese suspense movies such as this and lay off the overpowering soundtracks.
    That's the one I'm talking about. I ordered it after reading just one review of it from IGN. I made a thread asking about it last October, but no one else had seen it at the time. That same review guy was the reason I bought the submarine ghost flick Below, as well. Both were buys I am happy I made. I love ghost films!

When I first saw The Eye I was alone and immersed in 5.1 surround sound. I had my surround at a loud enough level that certain parts literally made me jump up out my video rocker. For example, that scene where she's in the girl's chair and being told to get off it. Man, that scene had me fumbling for my surround sound remote trying to turn it down since it had me spooked.

While I'm on the Asian fare, there's quite a few of their horror films I've been wanting to see like the Ju-On films, Dark Water, and a few others. The guys at Fangoria's board hype these films in the Asian film section all the time and I'm dying to see them.

Well, I can be glad that Lions Gate is bringing one of the Ju-On's to America this summer. Hope it lives up to the hype.