Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Do you believe in. . . ?

Okay, to make everyone rest easy, this is not a religious discussion and I don't want to get this thread shut down.

I'm curious as to what everyone here thinks about certain possibilities, legends, etc, the existence of which can be considered up for debate. So, do you believe in each of the following or not? (I'll throw in my thoughts on each a bit later, when I have enough time to do so.)

Ghosts?

Alien life?

Parallel universes?

Spontaneous human combustion?

ESP/telepathy?

Telekinesis?

The Loch Ness Monster?

Sasquatch/Bigfoot?

Yeti/Abominable Snowman?

Or throw out your own. . . .
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: Do you believe in. . . ?

Ghosts? - no

Alien life? - likely, but not these little green guys who supposedly visit us all the time.

Parallel universes? - possible

Spontaneous human combustion? - absolutely not

ESP/telepathy? - maybe, but I don't put much stock in it.

Telekinesis? - ditto

The Loch Ness Monster? - no, my grandpa worked as an engineer on a sonar system that scanned the loch and found a large cluster of seaslugs or something was what was likely what folks were seeing.

Sasquatch/Bigfoot? - nope, especially with how many people are looking for him these days and have come up with jack squat in the way of REAL evidence (that is, evidence you couldn't concot.

Yeti/Abominable Snowman? - isn't this the same guy as previous, only in white?

*and adding my own*
    Past Life Regression - ever notice how almost everybody is someone famous in a past life? No, I don't buy this one at all.

Crop Circles - bunk, somebody has too much free time on their hands, and I don't mean Kang & Kodos.

Time Travel - I believe it is possible
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ghosts? Uh, maybe... under extreme circumstances. I think that all life exists as "energy strings" (String Theory) on the most basic level. My theory also goes into the mechanics of "consciousness" which I won't get into here, but essentially if the "conscious" part of a person's "energy" doesn't dissipate after the body dies, then yeah, it can remain cohesive enough for a living being to actually see it.

Alien life? Of course. Whether any of it has actually been to Earth is an entirely different question.

Parallel universes? Not as such, but I think that perhaps the idea of multiple dimensions as predicted by String Theory may be on the right path.

Spontaneous human combustion? Um, no.

ESP/telepathy? Tough call. I don't think it exists as a strong superpower as some people would have us believe, but I know that two very "connected" people can "sense" one another across significant distances. It's not ESP or mind reading, but the feeling can be quite strong and intense.

Telekinesis? Maybe, but probably not.

The Loch Ness Monster? No.

Sasquatch/Bigfoot? No.

Yeti/Abominable Snowman? No.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    *and adding my own*
    Past Life Regression - ever notice how almost everybody is someone famous in a past life? No, I don't buy this one at all.

Crop Circles - bunk, somebody has too much free time on their hands, and I don't mean Kang & Kodos.

Time Travel - I believe it is possible
    Past Life: See my answer concerning energy strings above. This could happen maybe. See, the idea is that if a person's personality when they are alive is "strong" enough (whatever that means...I don't have all the rules figured out yet), then when the body dies, that part of them which is the consciousness (the whole body is made up of energy strings including the consciousness) somehow has the ability to remain relatively cohesive (it sticks together). A weak personality will dissipate quickly and that consciousness energy will join up with other energy strings.

Then, due to unknown mechanics, "living" material (trees, bugs, people, etc) somehow attract this consciousness energy. The more "brain" an organism has, the more consciousness energy it attracts. So a human ultimately has more consciousness than a flee.

Anyhow, as far as the past life thing goes, it could be possible using this theory to illustrate that some very strong personalities from the past remained cohesive enough in death to be attracted almost completely into another living organism which is large enough to house it all. I'm sure there are no studies, but of course we always only hear about the famous people who are reincarnated. If you have vague memories about being some nobody from the middle ages, how could you express that in terms that didn't make you seem loony?

Anyhow, it's all a theory. Who the hell knows.

Crop Circles: Um, no.

Time Travel: For people? Maybe one day, but not now. Time is relative anyway, so are you talking about a Delorean kind of zipping through time or more of an Einstein Relativity thing?

I believe...

Ghosts-Are dead.

Alien life-There is no inteligent life anywhere in the universe.

Parallel universes-Run in direct opposition to our own.

Spontaneous human combustion-Is a heated debate.

ESP/telepathy-ESP would go great with ESPN.

Telekinesis-Is nothing like Dianetics

The Loch Ness Monster-Is really a Sea Cow.

Bigfoot-Is one hairy Sasquatch.

Yeti/Abominable Snowman-Is Bigfoots' hairy albino cousin.

Or throw out your own. . . .

I believe that "Big Brother is real".

I believe Oswald acted alone.

I believe Conspiracy Theories are like trash TV and Tabloid Newspapers.
    May the force be with you.

Ghosts? No, and I actually got to see one at the beginning of the year. I could even explain it away after.

Alien life? Yes, but none that have come all the way here to buzz some poor farmer while he tries to take a blurry picture of the spaceship. I certainly don't believe in alien abductions.

Parallel universes? possibly.

Spontaneous human combustion? No.

ESP/telepathy? Not likely.

Telekinesis? Not likely.

The Loch Ness Monster? I give the following three skeptical plausibility, even while the admission to perpetrating Nessie and Sasquatch as hoaxes has appeared.

Sasquatch/Bigfoot?

Yeti/Abominable Snowman?

Ghosts?- Yes, i've seen several up close and personal.

Alien life?- Yup, seen some of those UFO's too.

Parallel universes?- Sure, why not? we can't possibly be the only beings around.

Spontaneous human combustion?- Eh, no.

ESP/telepathy?- Yes

Telekinesis?- Yeah

The Loch Ness Monster?- Maybe. I've seen some pics and some look legit and others like crap.

Sasquatch/Bigfoot?- of course!

Yeti/Abominable Snowman?- yeah, i do. Though,i don't want to meet this fellow.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Ghosts? - Yep. I've even had an experience or two.

Alien life? - Definitely. Are the coming to Earth? Not a chance.

Parallel universes? - It's possible, but unlikely.

Spontaneous human combustion? - Nope.

ESP/telepathy? - Maybe to a very minor degree (IE Deju Vu).

Telekinesis? - Nope. Simple tricks and nonsense.

The Loch Ness Monster? - Nope.

Sasquatch/Bigfoot? - Again, it possible, but unlikely. People discover new species of life all the time. Granted, they are typically bugs or smalller.

Yeti/Abominable Snowman? - See above.

Past Life Regression - Yes. My cousin who was probably 4 or so and wasn't old enough to know about such things, had clear memories of being a fighter pilot and being shot down. It was creepy.

Crop Circles - No...but "Signs" was awesome!

Time Travel - No, but in theory, it's supposed to be possible. If man ever accomplishes it, why doesn't he stop by and say "Hi?"

Miracles - YES!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Ghosts?-Yes.I've had too many experiences to say otherwise

Alien life?-Yep.Seen enough for that too

Parallel universes?-Possible.Who knows?

Spontaneous human combustion?-No.

ESP/telepathy?-To a point,yes

Telekinesis?-Nope

The Loch Ness Monster?-Maybe

Sasquatch/Bigfoot?-Yes.Too many similar sightings throughout history

Yeti/Abominable Snowman?-Same as above

Crop Circles-Perhaps.I would say the simpler ones are "other worldly" though.

Past Life -Yes

Time Travel -Not at all
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Ghosts: No

Alien life: Yes, but the earth is not being visited any.

Parallel universes: What do you by this?

Spontaneous human combustion: No

ESP/telepathy: I'd like to, but seems unlikely.

Telekinesis: Same

The Loch Ness Monster: No

Sasquatch/Bigfoot: Again I'd like to, but seems unlikely.

Yeti/Abominable Snowman: More likely then Sasquatch, but again seems unlikely.

JediTricks write-ins
    Past Life Regression: No

Crop Circles: While the phenomena does exist and is well documented, so its real. I assume JediTricks means the UFO made circles, so no.

Time Travel: We are all traveling in time (forward). But traveling back in time, no well. I think its unphysical. I'm a bit of stickler for the second of Thermodynamics.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane