Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horror films?

Horror films?

this thread was inspired by JBF's thread about horror films, specifically Jacob's Ladder. i'm curious as to what other forumites consider a 'horror' film. are there specific elements involved in such a classification in your opinions? or is the term horror film just a catch-all for any movie featuring the supernatural, gore, or scares galore?

i've seen Jacob's Ladder a couple times but wouldn't consider it to be a horror film, thus my above question.

Re: Horror films?

Well, if the film contains the supernatural, gore, or scares then I usually will call it horror.

Now there's exceptions. The Casper movies contained the supernatural, but they are not horror. Same thing with The Haunted Mansion. The Passion and Braveheart had gore galore, but they weren't horror.

I suppose it really depends on the tone of the film combined with those aforementioned characteristics.

Wish I could answer that Jacob's Ladder question. Give me a few days and I'll let you know why or why not I might consider it horror.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

I consider The Thing to be a horror film and in my opinion is the best horror film that I have seen. I know there are people that wont agree, but I saw it when I was pretty young and it scared the hell out of me. It's setting, top notch make-up, great cast, music and the fact that there are parts that will never be explained(When I meet John Carpenter he wouldn't even tell me) just has a cool eery effect on me.
    Last edited by Turbowars; 06-08-2004 at 09:46 PM.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I agree with ya Turbo.

John Carpenters the Thing is one of the best movies of all time IMO! My old VHS copy is all worn out, and I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy the DVD eventually. Hopefully we'll get some cool special edition deal someday. Hell, they make every other movie into a special edition dvd these days , why not the Thing?

I would clasify this one as "sci-fi horror".

I have the Collectors Edition Widescreen DVD. It has some great features, you know the making and stuff. I know I have said this before, but Carpenter got such crap for this film it seem as if he believes it crap. He's such a bitter guy, but still love yah John! Oh and yeah a Sci-Fi Horror it is.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Reefer, buy "The Thing" that's already available. The extras mainly consist of interviews, but they are really detailed. I don't think there was a lot of making of footage for this movie. The production schedule was hell, and Rob Bottin ended up in the hospital from wearing himself out, so i don't think anyone was doing too much behind the scenes filming for posterity. I doubt there will be a better deluxe version of this movie. I've seen it double-packed with another movie (I forget which one) at Best Buy, so you can probably get it very cheap now.

Horror covers a very wide range of movies. Depending on the person asked you could probably include "King Kong" and "Se7en." The gore aspect is really unimportant. Most of my favorite horror films were made between 1920-1968. The Friday the 13th movies, while being a great showcase for Tom Savini's effects, weren't much more than that. The acting and stories were terrible.

I recently posted some movies that others weren't mentioning on the Five Favorite Horror Films thread, that were made after 1968. You might want to go check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey
    Horror covers a very wide range of movies. Depending on the person asked you could probably include "King Kong" and "Se7en." The gore aspect is really unimportant. Most of my favorite horror films were made between 1920-1968. The Friday the 13th movies, while being a great showcase for Tom Savini's effects, weren't much more than that. The acting and stories were terrible.

I recently posted some movies that others weren't mentioning on the Five Favorite Horror Films thread, that were made after 1968. You might want to go check it out.
    i browse that thread periodically. but i was more interested in finding out why someone thinks se7en is a horror film, not that they think its one of the all-time best.

i wouldn't consider either king kong and se7en. but i'm not sure i can delineate what criteria i make that judgement with at this time.

I go along the same lines of JBFF with classification. Jacobs Ladder is with out a doubt Horror.

Also The Thing is one of the best horror movies to date.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jax
    i browse that thread periodically. but i was more interested in finding out why someone thinks se7en is a horror film, not that they think its one of the all-time best.

i wouldn't consider either king kong and se7en. but i'm not sure i can delineate what criteria I make that judgement with at this time.
    I think it's a fine line, and it depends on the viewer. I would consider King Kong more of a fantasy movie like The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, or Lord of the Rings, but it is also, technically a monster movie, so I guess that could be comsidered horror. I would also classify the original Godzilla movie as a horror movie, and few others in the series, but would not include most of the series such as Destroy All Monsters, which I would consider fantasy. The original movie was clearly meant as a horror movie as an instoppable dark force of destruction wipes out entire cities and populations. The other movies are escapism.

"Se7en" falls into that fine line between crime-thriller and horror that movies like "Night of the Hunter" and "Silence of the Lambs" fall into. I think these movies can all be considered horror for the same reasons that "Halloween" or "Psycho" can be considered horror. After all those are simply men with knives movies. "Se7en" and the others are about mysterious faceless/masked men who commit attrocities of a grand magnitude upon their victims. They're all Bogeymen. It's this faceless/masked bogeyman that keeps films like "Friday the 13th" on the lust of horror films. Otherwise, they'd just be dull murder thrillers like "The Bone Collector."

Well I think you'll find most movies fall into multiple genre classifications. You could call "The Thing" either sci-fi or horror but it's described better as sci-fi/ horror. Maybe it falls more into the horror category but it contains elements of both types of movies so either are appropriate.

I personally wouldn't apply the horror classification to a movie unless the primary intention of the filmmaker is to shock the viewer. Whether thats achieved through psychological material, gore, the supernatural or anything else that has the potential to scare, a horror film is something thats designed to play off of our fears.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”