Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Songs Inspired By The Passion of the Christ: Is it just me, or is this just wrong?

Okay, I got a recommendation through amazon.com for this (you buy some John Williams CDs, and they think you want every soundtrack ever released). Curious as to what would be on it, I pulled up the track listing.

I'm not sure whether to laugh hard at it, close my browser quickly to avoid being struck by lightning, or what.

The stupid "Music Inspired By" trend in soundtracks is not a new one, unfortunately. A bunch of crap thrown on a CD with the name of a flick slapped on, often to the detriment of music actually in the movie that isn't released. I can't think of a single one I've heard that isn't pretty forgettable.

But "inspired by" implies that someone actually saw a movie, had a lightbulb pop up over their head, and wrote a new song. Given the subject matter and graphic nature of this movie--and I'll insert here that I've not seen it yet, since my wife never let me see Big Fish on the big screen and, well, long story--but I'd think it would be even a bigger deal for something so serious. (To avoid starting a religious debate, that's about all I'll say about that at the moment.)

So, how is a "King" who's been dead almost 30 years inspired by a brand new movie?

Did Bob Dylan see this flick, have a flash of inspiration, and time travel back to 1997 to write "Not Dark Yet"? (And is that even a religious song?)

What about Nick Cave (I think he's an atheist, isn't he?) or Leonard Cohen (a Buddhist)? And I'm not sure, but I think their songs are older as well.

Isn't it just wrong to lie about the inspiration of these songs? Note that it isn't sold as songs inspired by the event, but the film.

Weirdness.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Now the crass commercialization is starting to show through! I wonder if there is a way I can make a buck off the crucifixition?

The same thing happened with Scarface. They put out a CD of music inspired by the film. Or so they say. Just a bunch of gangster rap songs, actually.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

There's some guy who is marketing "Passion" cross nails as necklaces on the mass-market, real sleazy (but they do look sorta authentic) and he feels it's totally right, makes sense and isn't crass at all supposedly.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

despite the fact that it was the number one film in america again last week and it cost a pittance to make, the powers that be have decided its not really making them enough money, so a soundtrack of music that is only connected to the film in the loosest possibly way will obviously swell those coffers that bit more.

Re: Songs Inspired By The Passion of the Christ: Is it just me, or is this just wrong?

isn't there any way we could become rich by suing the record company for false advertising? I mean, have them PROVE that these songs were inspired by their movie....
    “Denial is in the eyes of the person you’re arguing with.” - Me

"I try not to set standards. I don't like to show people I'm superior." - Me

Re: Songs Inspired By The Passion of the Christ: Is it just me, or is this just wrong

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    There's some guy who is marketing "Passion" cross nails as necklaces on the mass-market, real sleazy (but they do look sorta authentic) and he feels it's totally right, makes sense and isn't crass at all supposedly.
    There was a story on the news a few weeks ago about "Passion" merchandise ranging the CD and book to thorned crowns. Bizarre.

For your average blockbuster the onslaught of merchandise sold under the theme of the movie is expected. After each of the LOTR movies we all saw the toys, books, etc. I even remember getting mailings trying to sell rings, swords, necklaces, helmets, etc. SW is the king of merchandise as we can all attest to. This explosion of Passion goods had made me reevaluate the merchandising of movies. What seems normal for any other blockbuster seems downright stupid or wrong to do for a religious movie. Why? Beats me. I guess if selling an action figure for a fictional character that is known for killing thousands in a summer action movie is OK, then an action figure for a real person who is known for helping people and happened to start a religion should be seen as a good thing.

I'm trying not to turn this into a religious discussion but rather say that there seems to be a unwritten rule that says religious topics don't make for good merchandising. I have 3 CD's of music inspired by the Mortal Combat movie and that never raised an eyebrow. The thought of a CD inspired by the Passion draws attention though. I don't see anything wrong with it but I'll admit that it all does seem weird for some reason.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Re: Songs Inspired By The Passion of the Christ: Is it just me, or is this just wrong

I agree to an extent Exhuast Port, but I see nothing wrong with certain merchendise froma Religious movie, like, a CD of music Inpsired By...

But the topic was who that was just a slap on title to songs already established long BEFORE the movie was made. That's what's wrong about it. Had it truly been music somoene wrote after seeing the movie, that, to me, would be all well and good because you know it would be an emotional, truly wonderful experience to hear and share that...

It's wrong to just slap an Inspired By title on something for a quick buck...

That has been going on long before The Passion. The Mortal Combat CD's are a perfect example. As much as I love the CD's, most of the songs were already released by the artists but repackaged for the movie. After the success of the first soundtrack they released another CD for the same movie with different songs. 2 albums for the same movie?

Something to remember is the Passion play has been around Loooooooong before the movie. It is quite possible that all the songs on the album were truly inspired by the Passion and arranged/packaged/sold as a result of a movie about the same topic.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

that's true, I didn't think of that...

I'm still hopeful that Fruit of the Loom will be releasing their Shroud of Turin Underoos in the near future.