Can anyone help me make sense of the mess that is Highlander?

Okay, seriously, this franchise is a mess and a half. I was talking with a friend of mine earlier about how I still wanted to pick up the SE DVD of Highlander from about a year ago, which led to my briefly explaining the first three films (I've held off on #4 until I see the TV series, even though I got a copy for Christmas last year).

Okay, first, the movies:

The Immortal Edition DVD has an extended cut of the film, even beyond earlier extended cuts, correct?

The upcoming SE of Highlander II: WTF is up with that? I can't see any reason to get this, since in my mind this pig terd never happened.

Highlander III: How is it that Connor could go through the Quickening even though another immortal survived?

Highlander IV: Without getting into spoilers, the same question I asked about #3. (I suppose this goes for the TV series as well.)

The TV shows:

I read on one review on amazon.com that there were two live-action shows. Is that right, and if so, how do they relate and which is the one being released on DVD?

The animated movie: Well, I can be pretty blunt with this one. Worth it or not?

Gracias in advance for any help to a relative newbie in navigating this confused maze.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: Can anyone help me make sense of the mess that is Highlander?

After watching Highlander II, I realized that somebody was clearly on drugs so in my own private little world, the original Highlander is the only one out there.

i would take the first movie on it's own, as it really is a great movie, and view the tv series (with duncan mcleod - the only one that i know of...) as it's own entity, as it really is a good series... everything else can bugger off, imo...

other than the first movie, and a handfull of viewings of the series, i've only bothered watching the second movie, and the "renegade" version at that. it's not worth it. i might check out highlander: endgame as it has duncan mcleod in it, and he's cool... but i dunno...

so, yeah, the original higlander, and the tv series - that's my vote...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Yea, #2 was horrible. If you readu p on it you know why, but the Renegade version is much better and trys to help the contunity of it make sense (but it still stinks IMO).

I think in Highlander 3, the other imortal(s) were frozen, so in a sense they were dead, making Conner the last one left alive at the time of the Quickening. But when they thawed out they came back to life (since their heads we still attached) thus kind of starting the cycle over.

I'm not really straight on the last one either.

The TV show I think takes place before the Gathering and the Quickening. In other words that story line is going along the same time as Connors is... I might be wrong about this as I didn't watch it all that much.

I say they all take place in alternate universes, one more stupid than the last. It's really a shame, as the first one is one of the best movies ever, and the others are some of the worst movies ever.

=MATT=
    Last edited by mrmiller; 06-17-2004 at 10:19 AM.
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

The second TV series was called "Highlander The Raven", I think it may have lasted 1 season. It was released in 1998 and it aired on Sci-Fi in 2000 and was never heard from again, as far as I know. If it ever finds it's way to DVD it will probably be a small release. The story was based on a different, less scruplous Immortal, a blonde woman with short hair who was a theif. As with many spinoffs (Angel NOT included) it was inferior to the original and failed to capture the chemistry and popularity of the original.

Here is a site dedicated to "The Raven" http://www.scifi2k.com/raven.html

The original TV series followed Duncan, who was the cousin of Connor from the original movie. The series also had a guest appearance or two from Christopher Lambert, reprising his role as Connor.

I see all of these stories as 4 seperate tales (or alternate universe versions).

Highlander - A great stand along film!

Highlander II - A swashbuckling adventure with aliens.

Highlander III - WTF?

Highlander Endgame/TV series (both series can be included) - The years long epic adventure of a character that fans of the series really came to know and understand. Endgame was written for all the fans who wished that Duncan could end up with the prize, but in the back of their heads knew it would be Connor.

I see thase as four completely different stories following the MacLeod family storyline.

Here is a timeline for the development of the movies/tv series. http://www.phase9.tv/moviefeatures/h...e-timeline.htm

I hope that helps.
    May the force be with you.

There seems to be some confusion here as to the natures of the "quickening" and "the prize". "The prize" is what happens to the last immortal at the culmination of the gathering when there is finally "only one". The quickening seems to be some kind of physical experience that immortals have usually when they have killed another immortal in battle (that'd be the light show that follows an immortal's beheading), but apparently can also be tapped into with concentration - such as when Ramirez first helps Connor experience it when the two are running on the beach in the first film.
    I am a big fan of the first movie and did enjoy the other films at least slightly on their own merits, but I am by no means an expert on the subject (I've never really cared for the series). This is how I have understood the two aspects in discussion.

The one thing that did confuse the heck out of me regarding "the prize" was that it seemed strongly implied that Duncan had won the prize at the end of endgame in spite of the fact that at least Methos was still alive and kicking. What up with that?
    Someday I'd like to rewrite the entire Highlander saga into a more sensible and cohesive storyline as a personal exercise. I expect it to make for quite a challenge! I'll let you all know how that goes!

I know someone here has got the new "Special Edition" of Highlander 2. So what's up with that? Anything new or groundbreaking?

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.