Hybrid View

Velvet Revolver's Contraband: GnFnR is back with a vengeance!

Forget whatever that psycho Axl is up to. It sounds more a new album by Slash's Snakepit (only with talent) than anything by GNR, but make no mistake: Contraband is the album Guns n Roses' fans have been waiting for since The Spaghetti Incident.

Slash has not played guitar this well in over a decade!

In case you passed on the Hulk soundtrack because it was mostly score (and what were you thinking if that's the case?), "Set Me Free" is included here, as well.

A question, though, in case anyone knows: I thought Izzy was going to be writing songs, but he wasn't credited on any of them. I know there's no bad blood there, because they thanked him in the credits, so why didn't he write nothin' for 'em?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: Velvet Revolver's Contraband: GnFnR is back with a vengeance!

I was just thinking about doing a thread on VR.

Comparing VR to Slash's Snakepit is like comparing Star Wars to Battlefield Earth.
    VR is really, really good. And an amazing live show to boot.
    As a die-hard STP fan and an old school GNR fan, this album truly delivers what it promises. For me, it's no STP, but a close second. Any fan of real rock music (not the Creed, Nickleback, and Pudle of Mudd type garbage) should love this album. It's been in my cd player since 8am, June 8th.
    No idea about Izzy though.

Semi-related note: Apparently Contraband is the first cd with copy protection to hit #1. I didn't even know it was until the other day. Apparently some people have had no problems making, ummm, back-up copies.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I've not played mine on the computer (though I have no plans to copy it, the idea of signing an end user agreement irks me considerably), but wouldn't it be just a simple matter of hooking up audio cables to easily copy it? I don't get it. Unless every CD player in existence is retrofitted with copy protection software, I can't see how it would work.

Between that and the huge honking "FBI Warning" on both the CD and liner for John Williams' Terminal soundtrack, this whole deal is starting to tick me off.

As for Slash's Snakepit, I was certainly not suggesting they're on a level with VR, just that if Slash wasn't drunk at the time and had really, really talented musicians instead of whoever those guys in the Snakepit were (minus Gilby, who rules anyway), Snakepit would sound more like VR.

BTW, I remember they were going to release a live CD first and decided not to when it leaked out online. (Even though I'd think that would encourage, not discourage, bootlegging it.) Do you know if it'll come out anytime soon?

And what's a typical show like? All VR, or do they mix in some old GNR and STP (and maybe some Weiland, Slash, and Duff solo stuff... I just think Scott singing "Beggars and Hangers-On" would rule)?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

First off, I found the Izzy info at belowempty.com (amazing STP and VR fansites).
    Izzy Stradlin (b. Jeff Isbel on April 8, 1962; Lafayette, IN.) is a former original member of Guns N' Roses, who has jammed with Velvet Revolver when they were doing auditions for singers and pre-production for 'Contraband'. It's still unsure if any of the songs he worked on made the final cut of the album. Izzy occasionally joins the band for gigs, as he did in 2003, when he played guitar with VR and Douglas Grean at the Smashbox Fashion show. He also appeared with Camp Freddy, the band that includes VR drummer Matt Sorum.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    BTW, I remember they were going to release a live CD first and decided not to when it leaked out online. (Even though I'd think that would encourage, not discourage, bootlegging it.) Do you know if it'll come out anytime soon?
    I'm not sure when that'll be released, if at all anymore. They decided it wasn't the best idea, because at the time they weren't even signed to a label yet, plus the bootlegging (which was horrible in quality). I wish they would release it though, because that was VR's very first concert. Rumor has it that though they have been recording every show on their tour and may release them similar to the way Pearl Jam did a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    And what's a typical show like? All VR, or do they mix in some old GNR and STP (and maybe some Weiland, Slash, and Duff solo stuff... I just think Scott singing "Beggars and Hangers-On" would rule)?
    If you ever seen an STP concert, multiply the energy by 5 and that is a VR show. I've yet to hear a bad review of ther concerts.
    This is pretty much the setlist, with a few changes here and there:
    Sucker Train Blues
    Do It for the Kids
    Headspace
    Crackerman (STP cover)
    Illegal I
    It's So Easy (GNR cover)
    Fall To Pieces
    Big Machine
    Set Me Free
    Used to Love Her (GNR cover)
    Slither
    Sex Type Thing (STP cover)
    Mr. Brownstone (GNR cover)
    Negative Creep (Nirvana cover)
    DOMINATE!

Cool! I will definitely have to check them out live if I ever have a chance. (And if they decide to release all their shows Pearl Jam-style, I will be very poor indeed. )

Nirvana cover, eh? Do you know if they ever throw in covers of other bands? I know Duff is steeped in old punk rock, Scott is apparently a big KISS fan, and Slash digs T Rex (and does a cool homage to "Rip Off" at the beginning of one of the VR songs, but having only listened through once so far, I'm not sure which one).

Maybe Izzy will end up in that rumored other GNR/Stone Temple Pilots band, the one with Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes on lead vocals. That'd be well beyond cool.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

They've akso played live:
    Angie - Rolling Stones
    Bodies - Sex Pistols
    Interstate Love Song - STP

"Negative Creep" does have a studio version on the European single of "Slither" along with the live "Bodies" cover from that 1st performance. I've yet at aquire both.

"Interstate Love Song" was done acoustically (with "Slither" and "Used to Lover Her") on KROCK. You can download that acoustic set at:
    http://www.illitpress.com/music.htm
    It's under May 8th.
    (I hope I can post that since it's not a live radio recording and not a studio album track. If I shouldn't have, I apologize)
    DOMINATE!