Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VH1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists: another stupid list for us to complain about!

Enjoy!

1. Led Zeppelin
    2. Black Sabbath
    3. Jimi Hendrix
    4. AC/DC
    5. Metallica
    6. Nirvana
    7. Van Halen
    8. The Who
    9. Guns N' Roses
    10. KISS
    11. Aerosmith
    12. Sex Pistols
    13. Queen
    14. Soundgarden
    15. Pink Floyd
    16. Cream
    17. Ramones
    18. Ozzy Osbourne
    19. The Clash
    20. Alice Cooper
    21. Pearl Jam
    22. Deep Purple
    23. Judas Priest
    24. Iron Maiden
    25. Cheap Trick
    26. Motorhead
    27. Iggy Pop
    28. Rush
    29. Mötley Crüe
    30. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    31. Def Leppard
    32. The Doors
    33. Rage Against The Machine
    34. Alice in Chains
    35. Jane's Addiction
    36. Frank Zappa
    37. Yardbirds
    38. MC5
    39. Neil Young & Crazy Horse
    40. Stone Temple Pilots
    41. Ted Nugent
    42. The Kinks
    43. Nine Inch Nails
    44. ZZ Top
    45. Pantera
    46. Scorpions
    47. The Rollins Band
    48. Janis Joplin
    49. Smashing Pumpkins
    50. Slayer
    51. Thin Lizzy
    52. Faith No More
    53. Korn
    54. Sonic Youth
    55. Blue Oyster Cult
    56. White Zombie
    57. Heart
    58. Anthrax
    59. Bad Company
    60. New York Dolls
    61. Jethro Tull
    62. Ministry
    63. Boston
    64. Steppenwolf
    65. The Cult
    66. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
    67. Rolling Stones
    68. Husker Du
    69. Megadeth
    70. Living Colour
    71. Lynyrd Skynyrd
    72. Foo Fighters
    73. Twisted Sister
    74. Pat Benatar
    75. Spinal Tap
    76. Bon Jovi
    77. Hole
    78. Marilyn Manson
    79. Ratt
    80. Green Day
    81. Pixies
    82. Queensryche
    83. King's X
    84. UFO
    85. Whitesnake
    86. Foreigner
    87. King Crimson
    88. Tool
    89. Lita Ford
    90. Rainbow
    91. Danzig
    92. The Black Crowes
    93. Lenny Kravitz
    94. Yes
    95. Fugazi
    96. Meat Loaf
    97. Primus
    98. Mountain
    99. Bad Brains
    100. Quiet Riot
    Here's just a few of my beefs with this list:

Pink Floyd, Cream, ZZ Top, Janis Joplin, Frank Zappa, the Yardbirds, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, Primus, Lenny Kravitz, and the Black Crowes: this is the 100 greatest WHAT exactly? I left several off this list because I can see how they could be convincingly argued to be hard rock, but you cannot twist that to include Neil Young, for God's sake! If he's here, why not U2, John Mellencamp, even friggin' Barry Manilow?

Led Zeppelin should not be #1, nor should they be counted twice. (The Yardbirds changed their name to Led Zeppelin, so this is really the "99 Greatest.") I love 'em, but ripping off old blues tunes and playing them louder doesn't make you the best. (I'd be fine with #2.)

Nirvana outranked Van Halen, the Who, GnFnR, Aerosmith, Queen, etc, etc, etc?

Why is Spinal Tap on here? Nothing against them, but come on!

There are a few of these I've never heard of, and more I've never heard. Are they really the "greatest"?

Green Day, Korn, Hole, Ratt, and Marilyn Manson actually showed up? And yet Tesla, Great White, Live, and Extreme didn't?

I love KISS, but I can't tell you how over-ranked they are here.

The Pixies? Including them in the definition of "hard rock" opens the door to a lot of alternative bands who should also be listed but aren't.

Anthrax seems to be quite low, as do Bon Jovi and Steppenwolf.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: VH1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists: another stupid list for us to complain about!

Good Lord...King Crimson getting out ranked by Bon Jovi and Boston? WTF is this crap. You said it, Another list for us to beyatch about.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Re: VH1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists: another stupid list for us to complain about!

El Chuxter, I pretty much agree with your gripe, word for word. But I have to admit I have a big thing for both Boston, and Bon Jovi. I think, in my humble opinion, that Boston fits the term, and I think Jovi can slide in. And if part of the "Greatest" criteria was the amont of star power of a band, then I think it's easy to see why thay ranked higher. No disrespect meant to King Crimson at all. But I certainly agree that there are names on here that shouldn't be, and other's that should.

P.S. To understand why I justify Jovi's place on this list, one should listen to "Fear" from Keep the Faith, our "Bounce" from the album of the same name.
    "Undivided" is another one.

I was going to mention that the only member of the Yardbirds that was in Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page. Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck were also Yardbirds. But, I did a little research on www.rockhall.com and found that "Page assembled a “New Yardbirds” in order to fulfill contractual obligations that, once served, allowed him to move on to his blues-based dream band, Led Zeppelin." So, I guess it depends on your point of view.

Did these fools even define "Hard Rock"? I think they encompassed every flavor of rock by including Korn, Neil Young, and Nirvana. There are at least 6 bands I've never heard of on the list. And considering some of the bands on there, why isn't John Meloncamp on the list?
    Last edited by Rogue II; 06-18-2004 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typed wrong website address
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

John who? Do you mean Jovi? He's #78 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacta Beast
    John who? Do you mean Jovi? He's #78 I think.

NOOOOO! I meant to say Melloncamp.

I must have hit the wrong button somewhere.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Re: VH1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists: another stupid list for us to complain abou

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Pink Floyd, Cream, ZZ Top, Janis Joplin, Frank Zappa, the Yardbirds, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, Primus, Lenny Kravitz, and the Black Crowes.
    Once again it seems that being "influenced" by means equal to the originator of this list. Lenny Kravitz I'm sure found some guidance in some earlier Hard Rock bands but does that mean he's measurable among his peers? Nope.

I might be willing to say a small vote of Yes for Neil Young for a few of his songs but I'd give him a stronger vote of No because it wasn't his genre during his career.

I would give ZZ Top a Yes vote though.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I agree that the way they did this list Mellencamp could have made it, but I don't feel that he fits that category in truth. Yes, ummm maybe. It's that word "Hard" that helps narrow it down some. Or at least it should have.

This list is a joke & another reason why I don't respect them, the orders are wrong, players missing & some who shouldn't even be there at all. I've listened to hard rock all my life & I can truly say this is a farce IMO. With some of the players on the list, they should have just called it rock & roll. What's next a list for greatest Heavy Metal bands that include M.J. & M.C. Hammer?
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

i saw this recently and carmen electra was the host. but i remember seeing it about a year ago as well (or something extremely similarly titled) with the same top 10, but meat loaf was #99 on that list.