Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    How about that first privatized space flight?

    How about that first privatized space flight? The SpaceShip-One?

    How do you guys think that is going to change things?

    I'm really surprised no one posted on this before.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  2. #2

    Re: How about that first privatized space flight?

    Yes, it will change things for sure. Most likely most changes will come with applications of learned technology within the current transportation industry. Perhaps we'll see suborbital aircraft but I doubt we'll much beyond that in the commercial realm. If they can keep the cost down on each flight and they can prove safety and reliability with the SpaceShipOne model I'm sure that there will be a market for space launches for entertainment purposes. Even if it cost $500,000 for a flight there would be quite a line of interested riders.

    This could also lead to a boom in space utilization and lower the cost for such services requiring a satelite. Satelite phones are incredibly expensive and so is the monthly service. By shaving off millions off the launch cost will lower the cost for consumers. How nice would it be to travel the world with your sat. phone and never have to worry about being out of cell tower range?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

    By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

    I'm in love with the women of Univision.

  3. #3

    Re: How about that first privatized space flight?

    I think there would be a huge market for a "luxury liner to the moon" type of vessel. Kind of like the Carnival Cruise line in outer space. Even if they charged $1 million per ticket to just orbit the moon once and return to Earth, there would be massive demand from all over the world.

  4. #4

    Re: How about that first privatized space flight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    How about that first privatized space flight? The SpaceShip-One?

    How do you guys think that is going to change things?

    I'm really surprised no one posted on this before.
    This was sort of talked about in the "Other" section under the title of "Bragging Rights". This was my post (I posted this part Tuesday):

    Up until yesterday I had been waiting for SpaceShipOne to blast into space for so long. I really must say, the past year has been amazing for me. We've found that there once was water on Mars (this is a lot bigger a find than you'd think), and we as humans have taken our first step into the Space Age Era. Those are the things I'll look back on when I'm older and I'll be proud to say I was around to witness it. Anybody catch Burt Rutan and Mike Melvill on Leno last night? I dunno about anyone else, but that whole interview was the kind that gave me chills (the oddly good kind) and really gave me something amazing to look forward to. Now I know what people felt back in the 60's when Yuri Gagarin orbitted the Earth and man landed on the moon. And to think, Scaled Composites isnt even the only team competing for the X-Prize! There are 27 or so other teams all developing and working for the same thing as Rutans co.!!! But its definitely private companies and kids today who have an interest in doing this that'll get us there. For far too long have people relied on NASA to do everything. Its amazing to see people just working together to conquer such an amazing thing.
    Last edited by Jay86; 06-25-2004 at 02:13 PM.
    Go ahead and reply, I probably wont read this for another week or so, much less even care what you've got to say to begin with. So I'd advise you to not waste your time, but if you want to, then go ahead :rolleyes:

    Great people to trade with:
    ANEEL, Sith_Killer_99, and DEFINITELY Val Da Car!

  5. #5

    Re: How about that first privatized space flight?

    I thought it was "traces of a possibility that there might have been" water on Mars?

    But you're right, the discoveries on Mars are sort of underappreciated right now. I think they'll have enormous consequences on future generations (for good or ill).

    I heard that this spaceflight cost a tiny fraction of what a NASA flight would have cost. I wonder if that just because of advanced technology or because the government is always getting duped into paying too much money for garbage.

  6. #6

    Re: How about that first privatized space flight?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada
    I thought it was "traces of a possibility that there might have been" water on Mars?
    I worded what I said wrong, fixed it, etc etc. And no, there is no "might have been" or any "possibilities" that there once was water on Mars. The scientists working on the project had (I believe two) official announcements saying that they were certain that there was once water on Mars. Both rovers found the evidence, and the mineral and dirt samples that were taken by the rovers fits together brilliantly with the possibility (now "fact") that water was once there.
    Last edited by Jay86; 06-25-2004 at 02:36 PM.
    Go ahead and reply, I probably wont read this for another week or so, much less even care what you've got to say to begin with. So I'd advise you to not waste your time, but if you want to, then go ahead :rolleyes:

    Great people to trade with:
    ANEEL, Sith_Killer_99, and DEFINITELY Val Da Car!

  7. #7

    Re: How about that first privatized space flight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay86
    I worded what I said wrong, fixed it, etc etc. And no, there is no "might have been" or any "possibilities" that there once was water on Mars. The scientists working on the project had (I believe two) official announcements saying that they were certain that there was once water on Mars. Both rovers found the evidence, and the mineral and dirt samples that were taken by the rovers fits together brilliantly with the possibility (now fact) that water was once there.
    It can't be a fact, by definition science can only declare something a fact if it is happening right now. "Overwhelming evidence of water on Mars at some point in the past" is probably the best that modern science can do; but that's not the same as a cold, hard fact.

    I don't doubt that there were once bodies of water on Mars, it's just that science cannot answer with absolute certainty questions about events from the past that we have never observed.

  8. #8

    Re: How about that first privatized space flight?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada
    It can't be a fact, by definition science can only declare something a fact if it is happening right now. "Overwhelming evidence of water on Mars at some point in the past" is probably the best that modern science can do; but that's not the same as a cold, hard fact.

    I don't doubt that there were once bodies of water on Mars, it's just that science cannot answer with absolute certainty questions about events from the past that we have never observed.
    Of course it cant be a fact-fact, I didnt mean pure-rock-solid-fact. It doesnt take even a rocket scientist to know that it cant be a "fact" because it happened in the past.....But ffiinnneeee then, I'll put it this way - "the scientists said their findings were as 'factual' as possible"....better?
    Go ahead and reply, I probably wont read this for another week or so, much less even care what you've got to say to begin with. So I'd advise you to not waste your time, but if you want to, then go ahead :rolleyes:

    Great people to trade with:
    ANEEL, Sith_Killer_99, and DEFINITELY Val Da Car!

  9. #9

    Re: How about that first privatized space flight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay86
    Of course it cant be a fact-fact, I didnt mean pure-rock-solid-fact. It doesnt take even a rocket scientist to know that it cant be a "fact" because it happened in the past.....But ffiinnneeee then, I'll put it this way - "the scientists said their findings were as 'factual' as possible"....better?
    Much better.

    But anyways, we should probably stay on topic or this thread will get thrown in the Rancor Pit.

    Back to the issue of cost, exactly how much cheaper was this space flight than a NASA mission? Does anyone know?

  10. #10

    Re: How about that first privatized space flight?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada
    Back to the issue of cost, exactly how much cheaper was this space flight than a NASA mission? Does anyone know?
    http://www.spacefuture.com/journal/j...June_21_flight

    I think/am pretty sure the answer to that question was somewhere in that article, then again, thats not a fact, its simply a possibility
    Go ahead and reply, I probably wont read this for another week or so, much less even care what you've got to say to begin with. So I'd advise you to not waste your time, but if you want to, then go ahead :rolleyes:

    Great people to trade with:
    ANEEL, Sith_Killer_99, and DEFINITELY Val Da Car!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO