Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I went with mj. This is kind of a review....kind of a, "Cool things from the movie" post.

*There's probably spoilers in here*

The movie starts with a description of whatís happened to the ring through time. From the forging of it and the other rings to when Bilbo found it. In these first scenes some of the coolest battles happen. "It shows the amazing battle were the ring is cut off of Sauronsí hand! SWEET!"

It then goes to Gandalf going to Hobbiton blah blah blah you know the story. The only complaint I have about the first part of the movie was that it goes a bit to fast. They made trip, "as far as they got anyway" seem like it didn't take very long and it feels likes it's jumping a bit. This also causes you to wonder why the fellowship begins to care so much for each other.

I only jumped one time during the movie and that was when Bilbo saw the ring again around Frodosí neck and asks to see it. When Frodo started closing his shirt again so he couldnít see it, Bilbo makes a little jump at him and you see him transform a little into kind of what Gollum looks like.

In the battle were Boromir is killed, he takes three HUGE arrows to the chest from the leader orc/goblin thingy. The leaders about to shoot another one into his face but Aragorn stops him and they get into a big fight were Aragorn cuts the leaders arm off....at least I think he did, and then stabs him in the chest and cut his head off. The coolest part of this scene was that when the leader new that he had been defeated, "When he got stabbed in the chest" He grabbed Aragorn and pulled him forward so his whole sword went through him and growled at him.

The movie ends with Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn letting Frodo and Sam go and setting off to save Pippin and Marry.

I am soooooo glad that I only have to wait a year for the next one.

Did any of you get popcorn and pop at the midnight show? They wouldn't open the stands for us!

Anyway, back on subject. Go see this movie. I don't care if you have to walk, crawl, bike, skydive, forgo the popcorn and pop, whatever. JUST DO IT.

Score: a very well deserved 10

You guys are torturing me! I don't get to see it until Saturday. Aaarrrggghhhh!
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com

Word's cannot describe how I was feeling after seeing this film. I saw it at the first showing in my town at noon today and I have been walking around since the credits rolled at around 3:30 in a sort of shock. Never have I seen anything so close to perfection on screen.

There were many changes in the film from the book, some trivial others major. However everything seemed to fit within the context of the movie. Most of what was altered involved the necessary streamlining of the story in order to fit in the 3 hour running time. As Sir Ian McKellan said, "The book is the book, this is the movie."

As amazing as the movie was, it is not for everybody. Peter Jackson manages to avoid falling into the "thrill-a-minute roller coaster ride" trap that so many modern films succumb to. Those expecting just such an affair should watch another film. FOTR has a story to tell and characters to develop and it takes it's time doing it. The effort pays off at the end of the film and you find yourself caring for these characters and ready to plunk down another $4 (one of the advantages of being in a small town) to see the next installment right away.

I've fallen in love with movies because they have entertained me, touched my heart or moved me in some other intangible way. Rare is it to encounter a film that does all of this at once, as FOTR does.

Well, well,

Here we are after awaiting this for so long. I do say bravo Peter, bravo. I as Biggin' mentioned noticed many many changes such as the drast changing of the end, but never the less the best movie in A long time. And in Dec. of next year you bet your sweet a** i'll be there again. I grew up with this told to me for bedtime stories and found it alittle hard to swallow at times such as the absence of the Gaffer and the fact that Sam is not at the mirror with Frodo this makes me think that the whole last chapter of Return of the King will not be on film. I could go on about the things that are missing forever and lose total sight of the fact that this is one of the best movies ever, but still this story is told best in it's true form and lives on A much richer life in my mind. Well in the end all have to say is did any of you have the AOTC trailer attached to the movie? I did, dare I say Mr. Lucas you have A tuff act to follow, but i'm sure you will be up for the challange! Won't you...
    "One day I will become the most powerful Jedi (Sith) ever." Anakin Skywalker, Epi.II

Yoda is forever my hero now...

I guess I'm lucky then. When I went into the theater, I wasn't expecting to see the book, I was going to see a movie. And that put me into the right mind set. I knew about the majority of the changes, but none of them bothered me for the most part.

I think a lot of Tolkien-ites had a problem with this film because they were to critical comparing the film to the book, instead of watching the film as a film. Whereas those who saw the movie who have only read the books a few times or never read them at all absolutely loved the film.

We didn't get an AOTC trailer, but we did get a trailer for Austin Poweres: Goldmember that was quite funny.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

I fully understand that changes have to be made to when adapting a novel to the screen. The differences I saw that some think would break the film didn't bother me in the least. After seeing the incredible job he did on the film I trust Peter Jackson's judgement as a director. He doesn't yet have the "ego vs. good sense" conflict that seems to have struck George Lucas after so much success.

In fact throughout the film I marvelled at just how faithful to the book Peter Jackson remained.

That's not really a fair comparison. There is no book for Lucas to be "faithful" to, save the one in his skull which no one but he has read.

I started rereading FOTR a few weeks ago and am and was in the middle of it when I saw the movie Tuesday night. So I recognised every little thing that was different from the book. Dialogue spoken by a different character, or coming at a different time in the film, but it all worked. When Frodo says "I don't think we shall ever see them again." at the close of the film and Samwise (Good ol' faithful Sam!) says "We may yet. We may." I had this huge lump in my throat at the vast epic that had been thrown down before me. I couldn't wait to see the next six hours of film, knowing all that they go through. Sure, it's not the book, but it IS an epic in its own right. And every little thing that remains faithful to the book, just reminds you of everything left unsaid in the movie. So even though we don't see Tom Bombadil, or Farmer Maggot (unless that was him getting mowed down by the ringwraith) we can close our eyes and see that scene on the cutting room floor because the part that was left in the film is so rich and faithful to the source material. There is plenty time to nitpick about the minor details (362 days!) but this will go down as the best film of 2001 for me.

True, comparing the unwritten Star Wars to the nearly set in stone LOTR is somewhat unfair. However, I'm getting a little tired of GL patting himself on the back for his "innovative" ways of dealing with problems (replacing Wookies with Ewoks, making Battle Droids even more bumbling than OT Stormtroopers, etc.).

A friend of mine from work said that he wished Tim Burton would have been asked to direct LOTR. Hah!! After the hack-job he did on Planet of the Apes I don't think he should be asked to direct anything ever again.

I think it is fair to the completed and now seen FOTR movie, to, let's say TPM. With FOTR, PJ had a source material to work from, GL had the OT to work from. People compared FOTR movie to the book, whereas with TPM, it was compared to the OT.

I know it isn't fair to compare a movie to a book, and then a movie to a movie, but that tends to be how its been regarded.

Plus, I don't think AOTC will hold a candle to Fellowship. I remember the general buzz when TPM came out, and everyone saying how they can't wait to see it and how it'll be good, and then most fans saying how they didn't like the movie at all. AOTC might be good, then again it might not be.

And Yes, Tim Burton should not be allowed to direct anymore. I was never a big fan of him in the first place, but POTA wasn't very good at all.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Check this out:

http://us.imdb.com/top_250_films

FOTR has rocketed to the number one spot in IMDB's top 250 movies of all time. I assume this is just internet users voting; but I believe it is a testament on just how well Peter Jackson has spoken to the fans with his version of the story. It beat out films like The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption and **ahem** Star Wars.