View Poll Results: Should Hasbro continue to include pack-in figures with vehicles?

Voters
414. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I don't want pack-in figures

67 16.18%
  • Sometimes, but less of 'em

49 11.84%
  • Yes, I like these pack-in figures

298 71.98%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Should Hasbro continue to include pack-in figures with vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by dindae
    I doubt however that the TIE dropped $10 just because it is without figure. I'm sure half of that is due to the fact that the mold has already been paid for from the previous release so on the books it is cheaper for Hasbro.
    I'm sure that aside from mold cost factors, the real reason the TIE Fighter dropped $10 in price was that it wasn't a KB exclusive.

That store has the screwiest pricing system I've ever seen. New toys are about $2-3 more expensive than, say TRU, but they don't sell because everyone buys them where they are cheaper. Then, four months later, once everyone has them, KB knocks the price down by 50%. No wonder their stores are closing left and right.

If the TIE Fighter had been an exclusive at TRU, or Target, with the pilot, it would have sold for $20-$25.

Same thing with Diamond exclusives. They are not distributing to competitive retailers, they are distributing to small, independant specialty stores like comic book stores, record stores, and places like Entertainment Earth, which all normally have to charge more because they can't order in tremendous bulk which they distribute to their hundreds of chain stores.

The pack-in figures have no bearing on the final price, it's all about whether they are exclusive or not.

Red Leader's X-Wing was $40 because TRU had to pay all of the costs. Target had to do the same for the Skiff, which is why it cost $30. The reason the OTC ships are so cheap is a combination of old reused molds, and the fact that these ships will be available in a number of outlets, so that the already low manufacturing costs are more widely distributed.

And personally, if the only way RA-7 would be made available to us is as a pack-in with the sandcrawler, I'd rather take him as a pack-in, than not at all.

B'Omarr Monkey that is just more justification to me that the pack in being left out is not the reason the TIE dropped $10.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

I think they should as long as they don't price gouge the price. We all know a vehicle like a TIE Fighter should be $20 with or without a figure (Genosian Fighter had one, Jedi Starfighters didn't (yes they released one with Obi piolet and it bombed)). If they make it an "exclusive" and charge $30 it is not going to sell. I take the risk of not getting them and wait for them to go on sale or clearance. Got 2 TIEs with pilot for $15 each when they were on sale at KB. I don't set my heart on anything and shop the sales and clearance. I find it is 50/50 on the risk. I get a lot of my stuff marked down or on clearance. Too much stuff to name and everyone knows what was and wasn't available on clearance that was an exclusive.

Not to get off the topic but a good example was last Friday in a Traget and picked up General Reiken for $4.99. Good deal considering it was $9.99. Was in another Target that night and they had it for $2.48. Went out to the car returned the one I bought 2 hours earlier and got it for $2.48. My point is I never would have paid $10 for a character that had no impact in the story. $2.50? Why not?

My bigger concern is where I store all this stuff. I keep telling my girl there is only one more movie and some day I'm going to come home and find all of the boxes floating in the wetlands behind the house............

I'm pretty surprised by the responses so far, when I look at what collectors said about most of the pack-ins, it seems like everybody generally dislikes the bad figures and wishes they could get their hands on more copies of the good ones. The Red Leader X-wing is a joke, that figure is total crap. The OTC Vader's TIE could have had lots of different Vaders with cloth capes but went with the weak one from the Gunner's Station set (bendable knees in a vehicle that has a flat seat - brilliant). The B-wing came with a stupid repaint of a lame Ten Numb figure instead of a cool B-wing pilot. And every TIE comes with the same decade-old TIE pilot with the loose head and pointlessly-modified knees (again, flat seats in all these things). As much as I like droids, with most I would much rather be able to buy multiples at $5 than just 1 in a more expensive set. Vehicles used to sell the figures in the SW and GI Joe lines, now Hasbro acts like it's the other way around and generally the figures are inferior to carded versions - granted, Hasbro makes a quick buck by throwing in the cheap figure, but the long-term purchases of the carded figures are lessened.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I wish the voting options would have included an option that said something like, I want the figures thrown in, but use better sculpts. Or something like that. I sure don't need anymore rebel pilots that don't have removeable helmets. Has anyone noticed that the original picture for the Target cups showed Luke with a removeable helmet, how hard would it have been to do that with the finished product?!

The reason I didn't add that option is because I wanted to present voting options that were realistic to the way Hasbro does these things. It's unrealistic to put that option in, and it'd be the option almost EVERYBODY would vote for, so that would taint the results of the poll.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

225 votes for "yes I like em" but mostly posts seem to say otherwise.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'm in agreement that many of the pack-ins have been substandard for whatever reason (I too would have preferred a different B-Wing Pilot, and was disappointed that we got a rereleased one) but not all of them. I mentioned the Target A-Wing before; Paploo was nice, even though the vehicles were rereleases; Dack could have been better, but wasn't bad; the Geonosian pilot was a nice figure; Bespin guard from the carbon Freezing Chamber was nice; most of the beast sets had decent figures, etc.

Granted, there were also a bunch that could have been better. I'd still rather get a pack-in than nothing.

I'm also wondering how much of Hasbro's calculation takes into consideration us collectors vs kids playing with these, when including pack-ins. I doubt most kids ever see the exclusives like the skiff, or sandcrawler. Was Dack made without a removable helmet figuring that most collectors weren't going to take it out of the box anyway? I'm sure teh TIE Fighter pilots were picked because they already had that mold (The Saga version is too recent a mold), so why make new sculpts, especially if they are going to sit inside the ships, out of sight anyway.

As many of you know by now, I am an opener. I generally display (or did before I had preschoolers) my figures apart from their vehicles except for the speeder bike, and tauntaun type pairings. Before pack-ins, i went out and bought extra figures for the ships. I bought a second Boba Fett to put inside the Slave I, I bought X-Wing Lukes to put in my X-Wing and Snowspeeder, I bought a second Dash Rendar to put inside teh Outrider, even though it barely has a cockpit.

In a case like Red Leader, I'm torn, do I display him with my standing figures, or keep him in the ship? If he were carded, I could just buy a second one, but at the same time, the way carded characters are really hit or miss in terms of availability, I'm glad he comes with the vehicle.

Isn't clearance great, Waboritas? I've had my eye on the deluxe sets for a while, too, and this past Saturday, my Target had them marked down to $2.48. Picked up extras of the Kamino confrontation (now can do a nice landing pad diorama) and an extra Jabba.

Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey
    In a case like Red Leader, I'm torn, do I display him with my standing figures, or keep him in the ship? If he were carded, I could just buy a second one, but at the same time, the way carded characters are really hit or miss in terms of availability, I'm glad he comes with the vehicle.
    I really don't think he is worth displaying outside the ship.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22