Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's up with Vader's TIE box???

I spotted Vader's TIE for the first time yesterday, and gave it a quick inspection. First impresison was that the box is way bigger than the original, that's just a waste of shelfspace. But then I looked down through the top of the big window and noticed there's a HUGE amount of empty space on either side of the main tray, it's just cardboard and the baggie holding the OTC catalog and the 2 missiles for the vehicle. Why design the cinematic tray this way and then waste at least 30% more space on nothingness? It looks sloppy and seems VERY unnecessary (and I don't buy the reasoning that it's for the Vader figure on the left side, that could have been in front of the ship just as easily). This is definitely one of the strangest boxes I've seen in the modern line.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: What's up with Vader's TIE box???

I agree, the box is a little big. I think they did it for artistic purposes, as well as practical purposes. They wanted the window to give a clear view of the entire ship, but they had to have enough cardboard around the window to keep the box somewhat stable, so it wouldn't damage too easily. I could be wrong, it's just a guess.
    May the force be with you.

I haven't seen it yet. Is there any difference between this version and the POTF2 version?

Slightly darker color and it has a few minor paint details added to the top hatch. No big.
    May the force be with you.

Just a waste of shelfspace?

They flew right off the shelves in Burbank. I don't think Hasbro will have a problem with selling these items. It looks really nice to me. With the over size box, you can see the sides of the wings which is nice touch. Way to go Hasbro!
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I SAW IT TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME TOO.... but it was good looking at least but i still past on it. is the darth vader new in any way??? if not what vader is in this box.
    thanks
    later

I haven't seen it yet, but I think it's either the Vader from the Complete Galaxy dome or the Gunner Station TIE Fighter, but those might be the same anyway. It's the only Vader with articulated knees, but still, they should have at least changed the horrible head sculpt and maybe the torso/arms.
    [font=Lucida Sans Unicode]Seriously, it's me, Mr. JabbaJohnL.[/font]

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]I switched e-mail addresses, messed up during switching them, and I can't use that name anymore![/font]

The larger box is probably a marketing trick to fool consumers into thinking they're getting a better value for the price. LEGO does this too; some sets released in the last few years are packed in oversized boxes that are too roomy for the number of pieces inside.

Hey, did anyone notice the Falcon shooting at Vader's tie in the cinematics around the ship?
    Collect 2 Collect (if you see someone damaging stuff kick them in the shorts!)
    Great Traders Slicker,KIDD,Rebo's_Guitarist,TURBOWARS,OC47150,
    bobafrett,Jay86,Lman316 & Dark Marble!

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
    I think they did it for artistic purposes, as well as practical purposes. They wanted the window to give a clear view of the entire ship, but they had to have enough cardboard around the window to keep the box somewhat stable, so it wouldn't damage too easily.
    Why not just do side windows instead? Or at least fit the tray to match the interior of the box? Seems weird to me, like they weren't originally going for that size and changed their minds after the trays were already produced. And the wider the window, the more prone it is to damage.

VDC, I didn't notice the Falcon in there, good eyes! I found it hard to notice much of anything on these OTC trays for the vehicles though, they don't work for me as well as the POTJ and Saga trays.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.