Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Re: That Jeopardy Guy, Ken Jennings (merged)

Man, I know I read somewhere that he has to pay up more than one million to the government. I think JT is right with what he said.

Then he has that whole tithe business he said he would pay, too.

Even after these subtractions, it's still more money than any of us made this year...or for many years.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Congratulations to Ken for one heckuva ride that started almost six months ago.

Yes, you could see Ken's undoing in missing two Daily Doubles, which are his normal chances to put the game away. Also, if Ken had one achilles heel catergory, it was in sports knowledge, and he missed several opportunities to take thousands of dollars there.

Still he was an awesome, incredibly resourceful and knowledgeable player who was quick on the draw as well. He was also polite and dignified, and never let his dominace go to his head (although his signature did get more glitzy toward the end). I saw him on Letterman the night of his dethronement, and he was ever the consumate individual.

Just wonder if any previous contestant would have bested Ken's mark hadn't they retired after 5 days, the rule up until two seasons ago.

A quick sidenote, H & R Block has promised to prepare Ken's tax returns for free, for the rest of his life. He will also reportedly do a commercial which states something along the line of "even one of the smartest men in the world, needs help when doing his taxes."
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Jeopardy is cashing in on the craze that Ken Jennings created by having a Super Tournament of Champions, to air sometime during February or March. The tournament will last a couple of months, and former 5 time champions who never had a chance to see how far they could go, will be invited back to square off versus each other. Two winners will face Ken in the finals. The winner will get two million dollars and a title that looks very impressive on a resume.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Thats only because he ran an entire season and basiclly was the only champion on there. They dont have enough people for their normal torny. GOtta give Ken his due though.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Sounds like a good time, but a couple of months?!? Seems too long. I tell you what though, I'd rather see this than the kiddie tournament and even the college tournament, I always tune out for those 2.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I watch the kids one but I think that the questions are way to easy- even for kids. As for the college- I dont like this one..
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

That blind guy would've mopped the floor with Ken.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I guess if you consider all the 5 day champs they've had over the years, I think they said they were looking to get like 150 of them which is a long arse tournament.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Wow, I didn't realize there were that many. I hope they are coming back for guaranteed pay no matter what.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I am pleasantly pleased with the tournament thus far, although I am anxious for the finals to begin. The questions are only a little bit more difficult than a normal show from what I can gather. Some have been absurdly easy (like most of today's).

There have been a few contestants that will give Ken a run for his money provided that they get to face him. One of the few that stand out (and I don't remember names) was a lady who won a college tournament a few years ago, she was on the show early in the week and kicked but.

It was also surprising to see Eddie Timanus, the blind sportswriter for USA Today, in 3rd place going into Final Jeopardy on yesterday's show. He did recover enough for a strong second, but won't be going on to face Ken.