While browsing through my XM stations while stuck on the 405 this evening, I got to thinking about those pivotal songs that really define the decades.

So the challenge is to come up with one, and only one, song which best represents each decade, from the '30s through today.

As I made my own choices, I realized the difficulty as so many great tunes are left off the list. But only one is allowed. Now these aren't necessarily my favorite songs ever or from that period. They just seem to best represent those eras in terms of sound and mood. Pretend like you're building a time capsule or sending an interstellar satellite out with the "stuff" that best represents what we have accomplished.

List your own!

1930s: This Land is Your Land, Woody Guthrie (really 1940, but it has more to do with the '30s I think as well as having that sound of the time.)

1940s: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy from Company B, The Andrews Sisters

1950s: Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley and the Comets

1960s: For What It's Worth, Buffalo Springfield

1970s: Stayin' Alive, The Bee Gees

1980s: Thriller, Michael Jackson

1990s: picking from the 1990s was tough...seemed to be a dry time for good music...but at the risk of attracting tomatoes from the peanut gallery, I'm going to put down Livin' La Vida Loca as being the best song to represent the general feel of music from the '90s.

2000s: Lose Yourself, Eminem