Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

OTC Millennium Falcon

You want... you've got it!

Okay... I am really happy (for the most part) with this piece. Hasbro really pulled out the stops in retooling this mould to make it something special. The ship itself is based on the same cast as the vintage and POTF2 model. There are no real surprises there. The paint application isn't as dramatic as the prototype photos would lead you to believe. The top of the cockpit is not a dark grey in comparison to the off white of the rest of the vehicle. The paint looks pretty much as it should, so I just wanted to get that cleared up first since so many people had concerns over it.

There are about 3000 stickers that need to be applied to the hull and the interior. I don't think that any of them are necessarily ones that weren't around the times before. They may just have a little extra detailing.

I never got the POTF2 one so maybe these are just rehashed features. I don't know. Someone will have to tell me.

There are four digitally sampled sounds that are wired into four buttons in one of the side panels. The first features engine start-up noise and then a "white noise" flight sound. The engine lights kick on when the "white noise" sounds.The second actives a pulse cannon sound and the pulse cannon lights towards the front of the craft. The third is a thruster/hyperdrive sound which goes into the "white noise". I'll talk about this a little more in a second. The final sound is the "whine" that you hear as the Falcon is shown coming in before landing (think Yavin IV and Cloud City). Most of the sounds activate the forward floodlights, which are a VERY bright whitish-purple.

The engines are amazing. Where there used to be a recess where the stickers went is now a clear "corrugated" looking piece of plastic. It is surrounded by a grey light compartment that blend in nicely with the rest of the design. The engines feature two colours of lights. The main one is a vivid blue and the second, which is triggered with the thruster/hyperdrive sound, is white. Once the thrusters have stopped the white light shuts off and leaves the blue. Both are on during the thruster fire. It is just unreal.

There is now a missile where the front cargo dock is located. The missile isn't anything special. It's about three inches long and clear red plastic. The firing mechanism is located on the middle strip of plastic above it (between the cockpit and the radar dish). It triggers a proton torpedo sound when it fires the projectile. It still makes the noise even when there is nothing in the launch tube.

I cannot recall the colour of plastic used for the landing struts, quad cannon chair or the dejarik table on the POTF2 release. They were all dark blue on the vintage model. They are a brown colour here. The plastic seems a bit more fragile than the more pliable plastic used in the vintage so there are no cut out areas between the landing struts. They are now solid pieces of plastic.

The landing struts are still the same light grey they have always been. No change there.

Okay... here's where the big disappointment lies. It's that pesky cockpit. The cockpit no longer flips open to the side as it once did. It now raises like the canopy of the X-Wing. While that isn't terrible... it doesn't really lock in place. The canopy is made of a clear plastic and painted off-white to match the rest of the ship. The control panel (also dark brown like the other accessories) is now inserted into the canopy, which allows for better access to the cockpit.

UNFORTUNATELY the cockpit area is now like a scooped out toboggan. This causes the figures to move around in there quite a bit. They move around quite a bit unless they are Han and Chewie, both of whom need to be crammed into the cockpit, barely fitting and mostly unable to close the canopy. I used "flight to Alderaan" Han and "Bespin escape" Chewie. This is SO not good. I think Hasbro did the best they could with what the original mould would allow but it still isn't going to accomodate your figures. Well, not these two at any rate.

The packaging is the black starfield, double bar, Star Wars logo packaging that calls to mind the vintage line. The front panel shows a mock-up of the toy being chased by two TIEs in front of the Death Star. The TIEs and Death Star are movie shots. The top panel shows the toy "entering hyperspace". The bottom panel shows the toy leaving Cloud City (another movie still). The side panels show the toy with two Star Destroyers, a Super Star Destroyer and hoth in the background. There is an energy beam coming from Hoth... the ion cannon? The back of the box has a movie still of the ROTJ Death Star battle as wqell as several views of the toy and a selection of other toys that will be available from the line.

Overall the toy isn't bad. I will have to try another Han/Chewie combo to see if the cockpit is just crap or not. The rest of the toy is pretty stellar, though. I'd give it a solid B.

The packaging is sharp. I'd give that an A.
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 07-03-2004 at 12:49 AM.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Re: OTC Millennium Falcon

Nice thorough review, JEDIpartnr. Too bad about the cockpit since they apparently went to a bunch of trouble trying to make it work. I wonder if this will end up being the last version of the MF we see from the original mold.

Overall, it sounds great though. I plan on picking one of these up, and maybe one for my kids, though I'll have to see how hard it is to manage that cockpit. There's nothing worse than a 4 and 5 year old getting frustrated over trying to work a toy.

Right on! Great review JEDIpartnr. I'm really looking forward to this now.
    Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey
    and maybe one for my kids,
    For sure I was gonna get one for the kid for X-mas, but now I'm pretty sure I'll need two.

Sounds like fun!

Cool review. Sounds like they wasted more effort (read: money) retooling this 27-year-old mold than simply starting fresh. I'm now torn as to whether I'll be buying, the hyperdrive alone sounds really fantastic, and I never bought the POTF2 version. Still, this one is a dog for figures and that's always weighed heavily in my opinion.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah... It's really hard for me to make my plus/minus columns because there are so many pluses on this toy, but the big minus is the cockpit. For what it's worth, "Bespin escape" Leia and "Moisture farmer" Luke both fit in there with some room to spare. I think Chewie is just HUGE now and that particular Han has that oddly bent elbow and that may the problem.

One more thing I forgot to add... the missile isn't recessed into the cargo loader. It sticks out about an inch. It's not terrible, though as it's small or can be removed without any negative effect on the aesthetics of the toy.
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 07-03-2004 at 09:51 AM.

I am wondering if the VOTC Han and Chewie would fit well into this one.

SOunds really great. I am gonna pick one up a few months down the road when I get some extra cash
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Wow those engines sound awesome! I'm drooling.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

The rear end will be the big selling point for me. That's the case in other points in my life.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I was kinda wondering the same thing about the VOTC figures especially since they have more articulation and are not prone to the extreme jutting out of limbs.

I think that Hasblah kinda knew, going into this, that the figures would still have problems in the cockpit because they didn't even bother showing the interior of the cockpit empty much less with two figures in it!

Thanks for the great review, JediPartnr. I may have to pass on this ship, since I got the POTF2 version on clearance a few years back. It sounds like the sound effects are the same as those of the POTF2 Falcon, and while I don't like the cockpit canopy on mine, from your description I think the one on the OTC ship is a step backward from the previous versions.

I will miss those fantastic engine lights, though!