Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sideshow toys and star wars

apparently news is just breaking that sideshow collectibles has some sort of star wars license. sideshow is best known for making super high quality 12" figures, but also makes 1/4th scale figures, busts and statues, along with some props and lifesize busts.

i'm guessing sideshow will be making 1/4th scale(18" figures), as i just can't see hasbro letting them in on the 12 inch line, and gentle giant and master replicas are in the bust/statue and prop business.

sideshow's 18 inch figures cost about $200 each and are really nice, have some cloth clothing, but aren't very articulated. they're like big statues, with a few moveable joints.

......so would anyone pay $200 for a super-detailed 21" darth vader?

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/movies/sw_sdcc_hi.mov

here is a link to sideshow's 1/4th scale hellboy:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/c...ures&item=7104
    Last edited by derek; 07-03-2004 at 11:40 PM.

Re: Sideshow toys and star wars

According to AFT, they're going to be doing 1/4th scale statues in Star Wars.

AFT Sideshow Star Wars Statues News

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Whew, I'm glad it's the 1/4 scale statues; I don't collect them. I was getting nervous when I heard reports of them getting the license thinking they would be doing 12" figures.

I could just see them doing two versions of each figure they produce: "Jedi Luke - regular 12" figure has gloved hand. Sideshow Online Exclusive Jedi Luke has bare hands." Bah!

Actually I wish and hope that one day the do the 12 inch line. It would be much better than what Hasbro has done.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Check the homepage for the official announcement.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Quote Originally Posted by SirSteve
    Check the homepage for the official announcement.
    bummer............no 12 inch figures.

i'm officially boycotting all hasbro products untill they let sideshow in on the 12 inch line. hasbro needs to make toys for kids and let the pros handle the adult collectibles.

if JAAKS and sideshow can share the 12 inch line for van helsing, so can hasbro.

I don't think Jakks Pacific had a choice in the 12" sharing, I think it was Universal who foisted it upon them.

As for Hasbro, I'd love to see them share the license, or sub-license it the way they did with Code 3 (though I hear that was foisted upon them by Lucas... foist foist foist!!!), but it seems like they won't. Dunno why, they've clearly driven the line into the ground and I think even they know it (or why else would they release only 3 figs in the 12" line this year?) but they just don't want to let go of the POSSIBILITY that they COULD use it down the road... which I think reeks.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

After seeing pictures of the Jack Sparrow 18" figure they did for Pirates I can only see this as a good thing. I don't collect 12" mainly because of the crappy scuplting. I don't see how with as many new tools for scuplting and as many good scuplters they can't get a good sculpt for a 12" head. They only seem marginally better than the basic line.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I don't think Jakks Pacific had a choice in the 12" sharing, I think it was Universal who foisted it upon them.

As for Hasbro, I'd love to see them share the license, or sub-license it the way they did with Code 3 (though I hear that was foisted upon them by Lucas... foist foist foist!!!), but it seems like they won't. Dunno why, they've clearly driven the line into the ground and I think even they know it (or why else would they release only 3 figs in the 12" line this year?) but they just don't want to let go of the POSSIBILITY that they COULD use it down the road... which I think reeks.
    i post occasionally over at the sideshow forum, and some of the sculptors and sideshow employees post there as well. they were recently talking about licensee holders having final approval of the products, and how the licensee wants the best possible toy made, etc... i just don't know how lucasfilm lets hasbro continue to produce the crap that is it's 12 inch line.

why dosen't lucasfilm say to hasbro, you go make children's toys.....we're letting sideshow make the stuff that would appeal to adults, like a detailed 12 inch line. it wouldn't hurt hasbro's sales to kids/parents in wal-mart, as they've probably never heard of sideshow, and at $45 a figure, it would only appeal to adult collectors, who mostly aren't buying the current 12 inch line anyway.