Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Sideshow toys and star wars

Quote Originally Posted by dindae
    After seeing pictures of the Jack Sparrow 18" figure they did for Pirates I can only see this as a good thing. I don't collect 12" mainly because of the crappy scuplting. I don't see how with as many new tools for scuplting and as many good scuplters they can't get a good sculpt for a 12" head. They only seem marginally better than the basic line.
    NECA is the company that is doing the 18" Captain Jack Sparrow figure, not Sideshow. And just remember folks, these are going to be 18" figures with leather, fabric, metal costumes. Which means around $250+ each. Which is why it would have been nice to hear NECA having grabbed this. They wouldn't have leather, fabric, or metal clothes.....but they'd be only around $40.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
    NECA is the company that is doing the 18" Captain Jack Sparrow figure, not Sideshow.
    Whoops. Oh well anything will be better Hasbro. Although at $250 I would rather have a scale millenium falcon for my 3 3/4.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    why dosen't lucasfilm say to hasbro, you go make children's toys.....we're letting sideshow make the stuff that would appeal to adults, like a detailed 12 inch line. it wouldn't hurt hasbro's sales to kids/parents in wal-mart, as they've probably never heard of sideshow, and at $45 a figure, it would only appeal to adult collectors, who mostly aren't buying the current 12 inch line anyway.
    The main reason I don't buy many 12" figures is not due to quality issues, but primarily due to cost. I don't like paying $20 per figure as it is. I sure would not pay twice that amount, which is in the range Sideshow charges for it's figures. Plus Sideshow has gotten into the bad habit of offering two different versions of their popular figures; one is usually an "exclusive accessory" edition. Same damn doll, but the exclusive version comes with some new accessory the regular version doesn't have.

I'm excited about the Star Wars Statues Sideshow has on tap. An 18" statue or two would look awesome in my collection.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Honestly, I can't imagine why LucasLicensing doesn't crack down on the Hasbro 12" line, it's disgraceful. My fear is they think it's acceptable, or they're just too lazy to care about it. I think Code 3 got their sub-license because someone at Lucas liked the Code 3 items and had LucasLicensing force Hasbro to agree to a sub-license... too bad there's nobody there who feels that way about Sideshow.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai
    The main reason I don't buy many 12" figures is not due to quality issues, but primarily due to cost. I don't like paying $20 per figure as it is. I sure would not pay twice that amount, which is in the range Sideshow charges for it's figures. Plus Sideshow has gotten into the bad habit of offering two different versions of their popular figures; one is usually an "exclusive accessory" edition. Same damn doll, but the exclusive version comes with some new accessory the regular version doesn't have.
    i have no problem at all with the sideshow exclusive figures...as i pass on them all. i could care less about some useless-meaningless accessory. but i'd happily pay $45 for a sideshow 12 inch star wars figure.

hasbro is really screwing up here. i've said it before(well actually typed it) and i'll say it again. hasbro should put their 12 inch figures on blister packs, and sell them for $10-12 each like they do with their GI Joe line. they could better cater to kids and adult collectors who don't want to pay $30 for a $10 figure in a $20 box!

then let sideshow make the adult high-end line. limit their sales to speciality shops and their on-line branches. hasbro's sales wouldn't be affected one bit, and they could maybe even hit sideshow up for a 10% portion of sales in the star wars line.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Honestly, I can't imagine why LucasLicensing doesn't crack down on the Hasbro 12" line, it's disgraceful. My fear is they think it's acceptable, or they're just too lazy to care about it. I think Code 3 got their sub-license because someone at Lucas liked the Code 3 items and had LucasLicensing force Hasbro to agree to a sub-license... too bad there's nobody there who feels that way about Sideshow.
    it's gotta be that both hasbro and lucasfilm think of these only as children's toys, not actual collectibles. the problem is if they do see it this way, they should be selling them for about $10 each.

I could see $15, $10 for carded Joes is an unlicensed toy, licensing costs jack up prices, but no more than $15, especially at the quality lately. I'm still shocked that anybody at Hasbro could think the new OTC 12" Stormtrooper's headsculpt doesn't look like pizza dough pulled down over the guy's head, and how nobody at LucasLicensing said anything about it. Looks like Mush-Mouth from Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids went and joined the Empire (ok, it's really the Donald hat, but the reference doesn't work that way ).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, pictures of Luke and Han are up now. They're really nice, but not $300 nice. The Hasbro 12" line may have some problems, but I don't really think it's all that bad. There is just as many hits as there is misses in the line, and I think Hasbro does an acceptable job all around. Not perfect, but not terrible.

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...y.php?cat=1856
    http://www.action-figure.com/modules...icle&sid=12317

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Talking Re: Sideshow toys and star wars

$300 is a little much for those. They do look great -no complaints except for the price. $200 or so would be a little more acceptable.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett