Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Machines are taking over....Wal-Mart style

They have installed self-check outs at Wal-Mart and understand that other store chains have done the same. Is this really anything to worry about in consideration of jobs?
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Re: The Machines are taking over....Wal-Mart style

Yes, if you are a cashier. The stores that use self-checkout lanes do have an employee posted at them, I'm supposing to make sure people are actually checking out all of their purchases, as well as to help with any problems. Of course, they only need one employee to watch four or more self check-out lanes vs the four that would have been manning them.

Aside from the lost jobs issue, I don't use those lanes for two other reasons. I find them generally slower, and because if I'm doing the work that should be don by a store employee, then I feel I should be getting some sort of compensation for it. I don't see any point in paying a store for the "privilege" of scanning and bagging my own groceries. Next they'll want us to come in and unload merchandise from the trucks.

Well, i am now a Wal-Mart employee, cashier and i can say that these "self checkout" things are pretty nifty. As for being worried about my job, not a chance in hell. Those things are great, but they have drawbacks. First off, they can't take checks, Food stamps or WIC orders. Secondly, many customers don't really know how to read and can't operate the things to save their lives. I had all 4 of mine being used the other night and i was running from register to register overriding things because people would put their stuff in the bag and then take them out. The thing works as you scan the item and the thing you place it on is a scale. Folks have the tendency to scan things too quickly and when the machine takes .5 seconds, they immediately take the thing out, which makes the machine wonder, "Where in the hell did it go?" and then i come along and fix it.

they're fun things to operate, from the supervisor standpoint, but they'll never take the place of real cashiers.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Well I for one love these new machines. The days of being stuck in line behind coupon lady or the person who hasn't moved into the 21st century and still writes checks instead of using a debit card are over for me. I doubt we'll ever see these fully replace the checker though, some people will always prefer dealing with a person over trying to figure out how a machine works.

Guyute- So you're a Wal-Mart employee now huh? Did you give up the Pepsi gig or is this just a second job and do you have to take part in those loud humiliating morning huddles?
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

They're a PIA because people don't read the directions and they have no patience. Even my dumbas dad was able to screw it up. He scans something that is WAY to big for the small plastic bag, sets it on the scale, then decides to pick the thing up and try to get it in the bag. I just wanted to throttle him!

You explain to the customer that there is a scale there. They still put their purse on it, they still pick their items up too early, the kids are still playing on it, they can't figure out where to put / pick up the cash / change, .... etc.

I like using them at the supermarket if I only have a couple items and there's no line. But they took away most or all of the express lanes.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    Guyute- So you're a Wal-Mart employee now huh? Did you give up the Pepsi gig or is this just a second job and do you have to take part in those loud humiliating morning huddles?
    Yeah, i gave up the Pepsi gig. When i got back from school, they were being kinda non chalant with me. It was either, "to stay in the south region, join the union, get paid a buck and half less, pay union dues, an initiation fee and get no more than 30 hours" or "don't join the union and stay at your pay rate and we can send you anywhere within 100 miles and you won't get over 30 hours" whereas the next guy told me i'd be getting 40 hours a week, which was false because i've seen 4-5 new guys stocking Pepsi since i've been home. I was tired of driving 45 min to a section of stores and only getting 1/2 the gas mileage. With gas prices being ludicrous, i didn't care for it. A supercenter just opened about 2 min from my house. I got more than usual with my experience, but it still less, but i'm getting right around 40 hours a week and i don't have to drive all over Gods creation, so i'm making more.

No, i have yet to do the wal-mart cheer or go to one of the morning meetings. I'm usually up at the registers and can't make it.
    yeah, i'm really upset about that.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I started a thread about these at Kmart over 2 years ago (see link below), and since then the stores have taken them out. I think these aren't going to work, I haven't used the ones at WM at all even though the lines are ALWAYS longer. These are pretty gross to me, dehumanizing.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=2176
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If they're empty, I'll usually use one. I like 'em, plus I'd rather deal with a machine than the insanely rude (and beastly) cashiers we tend to have in my area.
    Morons are the only ones that can't use them. It's simple - follow the directions.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I'll use them if there isn't a long line. I've seen them in Fred Meyers and Home Depot. They are faster if people know how to use them. Many people don't so they go to a cashier which takes longer. Fine by me as I get tired of waiting for people to write checks.

My biggest complaint is stores don't make it obvious where the line is for these as they sit in groups of four. There should be one line for the four and as one opens up, the next person in line goes. Some guy tried to cut in front of me at Home Depot the other day so I "corrected his behavior." It didn't make it any easier that Home Depot had 5 gallon barrels of paint stacked around the self check out area so the line could only be 3 people deep.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey
    Next they'll want us to come in and unload merchandise from the trucks.
    Heh heh, LANDO IN MY PANTS here on the forums wouldn't have any problem with that.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!