Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green Lantern: Aka The Movie Pitch That Makes Catwoman Sound Brilliant!!!

For the love of god, what is wrong with DC film properties. Other then Batman Begins, has there been one that hasn't been announced that didn't send waves of terror up the spines of DC comics fan. And you guys thought Catwoman was going to be crap, just read what they have planned for Green Lantern. It makes Baby Jesus cry.
    From ScreenRant.com:

Green Lantern... a comedy??

Man oh man oh man... if this isn't the reason for the existence of ScreenRant.com, I don't know what is...

From CBR:

"Not only is the planned "Green Lantern" movie featuring the Kyle Raynor Green Lantern character, but the executive in charge of making the Green Lantern movie wants to make it a comedy. The choice for the ring bearer?"

"Jack Black."

Jack Black? Green Lantern a COMEDY? Now admittedly I don't follow the comic book, but apparently Kyle Raynor is a rather controversial Green Lantern. Why not go with the well-established Hal Gordon or even John Stewart (currently GL on Cartoon Network's very popular Justice League).

Can someone please explain to me why DC seems to be genetically incapable of getting their act together and producing decent superhero movies from their great archive of characters, while Marvel pumps out one killer movie after another?

Oy, it makes my head hurt...
    This word comes from within DC Comics, where some creative minds are feeling frustrated. No sooner do they bring back Hal Jordan than this happens.

It seems that the overseeing Warner Bros. is looking into developing "Green Lantern" as a movie property. The Lantern in question that WB is focusing on is not fan favorite (and currently returning Lantern) Hal Jordan, but the recent headliner Rayner. And not only is the planned "Green Lantern" movie featuring the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern character, but the executive in charge of making the Green Lantern movie wants to make it a comedy. The top choice being thrown around for the ring bearer?

Jack Black.

And naturally, some people at DC may want the comic to resemble the film when it is eventually released...
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 07-13-2004 at 04:24 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Re: Green Lantern: Aka The Movie Pitch That Makes Catwoman Sound Brilliant!!!

Attention, Warner execs:

Kindly remove your heads from your collective posteriors.

This is all.

Thank you.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Hopefully after the inevitable demise of the upcoming Catwoman movie Warner Bros. will realize just how bad of an idea it is to tamper with an established comic book characters success. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Did the collapse of the Batman franchise teach these people nothing?

This actually makes the dropped Flash television series idea sound good by comparison. Whats next Wonder Woman as a musical?
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Honestly, I can't really see where the comedy would come from here. I'm not 100% against making a comedy movie out of an established classic superhero (though Kyle Rayner seems like a poor choice), but it'd have to find something to make fun of beyond "huh huh, he made giant green poo" or "look out Lantern, here comes a banana!!!".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It will be like the Greatest American hero, but instead of a suit he finds a ring. Then, after loosing the instructions, comedy ensues.

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmiller
    It will be like the Greatest American hero, but instead of a suit he finds a ring. Then, after loosing the instructions, comedy ensues.

=MATT=
    Weird, I was just thinking about that show the other day. More than any of the standard hero movies, GAH would be a fantastic vehicle for some budding star...maybe Will Ferrell. Hmm? Gotta go........

OK, I like the Will Ferrel GAH idea, that could actually work. But, as much as I like Jack Black, This GL treatment does suck worse than Catwoman!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacta Beast
    OK, I like the Will Ferrel GAH idea, that could actually work. But, as much as I like Jack Black, This GL treatment does suck worse than Catwoman!!!
    I've already started pitching it.

Okay, after thinking some more, this could actually work, provided the Guardians, the villain, and all other GL's (preferably including Hal and possibly John, but it's also possible that no other Earth GL's need appear) are deadly serious.

Before you all start bashing me, I have two words: Guy Gardner. Who didn't love Guy back in his jerkarse GL days?

Besides, Jack Black is a funny guy.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I have long wanted a very, very serious Green Lantern movie. The beauty of the first Superman movie (the best superhero movie every IMO, though don't get me started on flying around the world to go back in time) and the first Tim Burton Batman movie was how seriously they took themselves. I would also love a serious Flash movie. If they make a Green Lantern comedy, or a Green Lantern movie not about Hal Jordan, I am not interested.

I have always loved the DC heroes, but had virtually no interest in Marvel heroes. I can't explain it.

I have often thought that the Greatest American Hero should be made into a movie. It ranks as one of my favorite TV shows. HOWEVER, the movie should be serious with comedy that stems from the fact that Ralph does not know how to use the suit. I would not want some big yuck, yuck look at my hairy stomach fart joke type to play Ralph (though I love Will Ferrell). I wouldn't want a bunch of gross humor and fart jokes.