Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can Tycho get me something from Comic Con?

In the past, I've barely traded with anyone outside of my group I shop with in San Diego and we got all we need.

Recently, I've done a few trades, albeit to also get things I needed, with some of you on the boards here.

Predictably, and also not without considering I was a staff member here at SSG for 8 years, I've gotten a small but good amount of private messages asking me to get things for people at Comic Con.

I haven't ruled out doing it just yet, (but as you can tell by my "overwhelmed post) I'm looking for an excuse to lean that way.

I've come up with a solution. This thread...

First, understand what I want and have to get out of Comic Con:

-time to hang out with SirSteve and get deep scoop on everything Star Wars, especially comics and books because I'm back on temporary reporter duty. Steve and I have done this as a team since 1999 and I've been working on this site since 1996. So far be for me to make keeping tradition difficult.
    So I need to talk with representatives from Dark Horse, DK, Scholastic, Del Rey, Wizards of the Coast, etc. all one-on-one.

-time to hang out with my friends. I'm going there to enjoy myself and have friends and some of you guys from the boards that I'll be meeting for the very first time. Let's get bites to eat, sit down and chat a while, etc. San Diego's a fun place. I like to leave CC and go for a walk and a drink sometimes when I can. Standing in lines is not why I go to these things.

- Panel discussions. I live for these (well, while I'm at a con). I buy almost everything retail, so I spend the least amount of time in a dealers' room of probably ANYBODY on these boards. It's all overwhelming piles of junk in my opinion. I just try to see some new product that hasn't been released yet, but I'd never buy - way too overpriced. If there's an Eopie for $15 though, I'll snag it - though they'll all be $65 so why bother trying? Well panel discussions are what we're talking about and how I get a lot of the scoop and QandA stuff to report as news from Dark Horse etc. (Steve handles Hasbro and toy makers (Code3, Applause, Lego, Attikus, Kobyakootchi, Playskool, Master Replicas, Rubies, Gentle Giant, etc.) but heck if I'm going to miss it to stand in line for some collectible (especially if I've never seen or been into MOTU, KillBill, GI Joe, LOTR, DC SuperHeroes, and some of the other stuff people are asking me to find.) What do I have to talk about with anyone in those lines? I don't e-Bay So I won't miss my panel discussions.

That being said:

Wed. Sneak Preview Nite: I'll go to meet up with Steve and some friends, Check out Hasbro's presentation, and that's almost all we ever get around to since it's a short visit (they give you 2 hours tops maybe). It's rare that exclusives come out on Preview night because it's not "comic con" yet.

Thurs. Except at 7pm when the dealers' room is closed, I may not go at all. I have a business to run and things to do, and there's no panels I think I want to attend. Then again, going in the evening might be cool because I'll have time to wander around without hurrying.

Friday - SW day - panel discussions all day long. I'm lucky to get an hour-2 hour window in which I can relax and eat my lunch. In fact, lunch time is usually what I look forward to the most on that schedule! Sheeesh! Later in the day there might be time to look for things, but...

Saturday - 12-2pm -SW on TV, EPisode 3 sneak preview scenes, Clone Wars Season 3, SW on DVD preview of the OT and what's new. I will not miss this!

before I'll be saving seats, after I'll leave with friends to discuss what we saw and EAT! My girlfriend will be with me and not want to be bored waiting in line. It's her first Comic Con and she's only going because I'm all excited about it. I'd rather she meet my friends, some of you from online, etc. and not watch me shop for things I don't even collect. She thinks I have enough toys I bet. She's too nice to say it though.

Sunday - I may not go at all. There's no panel discussions, Steve usually leaves early to head home, but there is good bargain hunting. Still there's nothing other than $15 Eopies that I'd be interested in. Maybe a couple extra E2 Kid-Fett's which anyone would sell me for $2 each on the first day probably. So traffic, $$ for parking, $$ for food, versus a chance to do my laundry? Hmmmm.

Look. If you want me to get you something from comic con - you have my reasons for saying "no" above.

If the list is small (from everyone) I'll let you know if I'll even consider it.

Likely I'm looking for an excuse to not do it.

List away and if too many people are posting things, you'll be able to see why I must say "forget it." - probably with no appologies.

Somebody that wants to supply you (if you want it that bad) will provide it on e-Bay and be compensated for their time they invested. I hate that scenerio, but then I'm not a completist and don't worry about silver figures and that sort of thing.

Well, let's see how bad this can get...

Re: Can Tycho get me something from Comic Con?

Hee hee, Tycho's been a staff member of SSG longer than SirSteve himself. (Site's only existed in any form for 7 years )

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but this year I don't see anything I really MUST have.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hey Tycho if you get a chance can you get me the free stufff (as much or as little as possible). If you can't that's okay. I hope that is not a big demand. Thanks a lot. And, may you find an army of mousdroids at the convention to sniff.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

Tycho - At Wizard World Philly there was a vendor that had European versions of some E1 toys: Ammo Wagon w/ Falumpaset is the only one that comes to mind, but he had a few that were VHTF. Almost forgot to say they were $10!

Hopefully you'll find it there too.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

The only thing I want fron Tycho is the low down on the new goodies. Can ya handle that Tycho?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Hee hee, Tycho's been a staff member of SSG longer than SirSteve himself. (Site's only existed in any form for 7 years )

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but this year I don't see anything I really MUST have.
    What I remember is my first book review was Young Jedi Knights "Return to Ord Mandtell" with Han Solo on the cover, because it came out at the same time Steve was debuting the first images of 1997 wave 3, ROTJ, which included the Han Endor figure. I remember it was sort of a "Han Solo thing" going when I came on board.

The figures came out in '97, but Steve had pics of them around Thanksgiving of 1996.

Now, 2004-1996 equals 8.

Steve debuted the site (I think, when I discovered it) in 1995 or early '96 because he started with the pics of the first 9 POTF2s and then got pics of the SOTE and early ROTJ figures and ANH "Mos Eisley Wave" when I first discovered the site.

I'm pretty sure Steve was around more than a year before I was.

But my memory is going in my old age. JediTricks would have been around about as long as I have if I recall. - Maybe 1 year less. Not sure now that I think about it. I think Thrawn was involved with the site before JT, but he came around sometime shortly after I was here.

Most of us diehards were around though.

Would you ask if there will be any fiction giving background to the relationship between Obi and Dexter Jetster? Or just Dexter by himself.

Dexter, worst acting in the movie(worse then Portman)! How in the world, or the galaxy, did he know it was a Kamino Saberrr Darrt?
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Well I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to spend time picking up a bunch of exclusives you're not interested in and standing in never ending lines. Priority one should be to have fun.

I wish I could offer you those Eopie's you've been trying to hunt down for so long but the best I could do would be to offer you most, if not all, of the Tanus Spijek's and J'Quille's you were looking for a while back. If you haven't already found those I would be happy to trade you multiples of both for a Kill Bill QT figure and/or a Silver Sandtrooper.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now dont take this the wrong way but I think youve been holding out on us.

Joker: I dont keep count. Im going to kill everyone in this room.

I already got him his whipids and eloms.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I already got him his whipids and eloms.
    D'OH!!

Well I am glad you got your figures Tycho but darn you KH.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now dont take this the wrong way but I think youve been holding out on us.

Joker: I dont keep count. Im going to kill everyone in this room.