Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm tired of trailers using deleted footage (Anchorman)

I saw Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and I liked it. I love Will Ferrell and some of the other goons in the film so there were several funny parts even though the movie was uneven on the whole and very weak at times.

Nevertheless, there were 3 moments from the trailer which I IMMEDIATELY recognized as absent from the film:

1) Ron screaming "LET'S MAKE A BABY" while wrestling with Christina Applegate
    2) Ron asking Chris Parnell how things are going at the pool party, Parnell telling Ron he'll never see his kids again, and Ron replying "FANTASTIC"
    3) Oops, I'm blanking right now and can't think of it but I remember there was a third one last night.

Anyway, WHY do the studios do this ? Anchorman has plenty of deadwood in it, so why cut some of the stuff which was funny enough for the trailer but *not* funny enough for the movie ?

This is not the first time I've noticed this in the movie business.

Re: I'm tired of trailers using deleted footage (Anchorman)

It's fairly common, actually. You see it in a lot of movie trailers, just because the trailers are usually cut from the raw footage. Instead of waiting for the final cut of the film, the trailers are usually assembled well before the final editing for the movie. Which is why you often get temp music and deleted footage in them. Hell, even Star Wars has a case of this, in the second ESB trailer. You see C-3PO rip the warning sign off the door to the captured Wampas in the Hoth Base. Leading to the scene where the Snowtroopers are torn to shreds by said Wampas.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Of course it's common, that's why I'm tired of it.

The 3-P0 thing, that one I understand - it has to do with plotlines and such but come on - ANCHORMAN ? It's a freaking comedy and trust me, it would have been better served by not cutting some funny parts while leaving lame parts.

I agree, it can be very annoying, but the original cut of Anchorman was like 3 hours, I think.
    The good news is that it's going to make one heck of a DVD (hopefully)!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

That's funny, Caesar, I've got a whole 'nother perspective on this....

First, I DO REALLY hate badly cut together bits that in trailers where what sounds like 5 different lines of dialogue, all with different inflections and tones, get chopped together to make a wholly unrealsitic (and usually "grabbing") piece of new, fake dialogue, for some reason this just makes me cringe....

IMO films should make trailers more like a mini-movie with footage shot specifically for the trailer.... unfortunately, I think the only film I recall this happening for was (hang on) SPY HARD, the trailer and ads for that POS were the only thing worth recalling (okay, and the Mr.T bit, he sure hates flying )

I always thought that showing any of the "plot points" was a bad idea, since I can usually put an entire film together from about 30 seconds of choice bits, thus making me not want to ever see said film.....

Would that be better or worse???

I'm just curious, it seems like a pretty cool idea to me
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Personally, I don't find most of what passes as a "comedy film" genuinely funny these days. The humour is aimed at 12-year olds who shouldn't be in the R-rated films to begin with. It's just sad.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I don't care for most of Will Ferrell's comedy, and Anchorman is no exception, but I can't stop telling folks about how weird I think it is that they're going to take the scenes cut from the first 3 hour cut of the film and put them on the DVD as a second movie, "Wake Up Ron Burgandy". That's pretty wild.

Anyway, I don't normally mind deleted footage in trailers unless it's something of substance. What I really can't stand is when a major sci-fi or action picture's first trailer comes out and, since the sound fx and score aren't completed (or possibly even started), the studio simply recycles sounds and music cues from other sources. Hell, in the Star Trek 2 through 6 trailers, they recycled not only sounds but entire SHOTS from previous Trek films! And how many times do we have to hear the march from Aliens or Star Trek 2 in a friggin' trailer? They're great cues, but they're not in this film!!!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

mabs, I also hate the way they cut up dialogue and fashion it into a new piece.

Oh, and I remembered the 3rd deleted scene that I forgot yesterday - poolside, Ron cracks a girl on the arse and says "Love that fanny ! "

Hey Ceaser, good news for you. It seems all that deleted footage will actually be used to make a Second Anchorman movie. Which will be released as a bonus with the SE DVD of Anchorman. Here's the scoop, from The Digital Bits.
    We've got some interesting news today on upcoming DVDs thanks to Video Store magazine. The latest issue is reporting that DreamWorks' Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy may arrive on DVD (later this year or early next) in two versions. Director Adam McKay believes there will be a single-disc movie only release, followed by a 2-disc special edition. Reportedly, the original cut of the film was over 4 hours long, so McKay is using the extra footage to make an entire second film, set to be called Wake Up, Ron Burgundy, that will clock in at an hour and forty minutes. Look for that to be included on the more elaborate edition.
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

My parents saw it and said it was funny. My dad said that the part in all the commercials where he says, "Hi-o!" and then smacks his face on the opening filing cabinet wasn't in there either. Which is weird, since that is in every commercial I've seen for it.

Another example of using deleted footage for trailers/commercials is AOTC. In the "Forbidden Love" trailer (I think), there is a shot of Padmé in the outfit she was in at her parents' house, which obviously wasn't in the film. I think they make the trailers before they know for sure what is cut out, so occasionally there must be some deleted stuff.