Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ALIENS small scale "army men" figures and playset!

At Comic-Con in San Diego, I spotted something new and really cool over at the Palisades booth. They're putting out, along with "Tree House Kids," a line of very small (2" to 4") plastic army men type Aliens figures. There will be soldiers (9 that I can see) and Aliens (I think around 4) as well as a two story plastic and cardboard playset. They're super basic and have little to no articulation, but they looked like a lot of fun.

Palisades was selling 4 different boxed sets with two figures (a human and an alien) for $5. I picked up one set, and there's pics below...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aliens01.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	8738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aliens02.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	8739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aliens03.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	8740  
    plasticfetish.net

Re: ALIENS small scale "army men" figures and playset!

Very cool. A great way for a lot of toy to movie tie-ins to go. Especially when you have a young padawan that likes to play all the movies. A cheaper yet somewhat realistic toy would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, it is a cool idea. Mostly it's just nice to have something unique and I'm a sucker for Alien toys anyway.

As far as them being "kids" toys goes... I asked the question, "Do you think that toys from the movie Aliens are really kid appropriate?" It's funny, because I always thought that the Kenner Aliens toys were ridiculous (but great) because none of these movies are at all appropriate for little kids. The Palisades guy laughed (I'm glad, because I was half kidding) and said -- sure, kids always like to have toy soldiers and aliens that can battle. On the one hand, I think he's right, but on the other, I'm not sure just how they're gonna really sell these to the kids if they can't tie it into a movie that they're familiar with.

I suppose they'll probably aim for that 25+ year old kid market, if they're smart.
    plasticfetish.net

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    The Palisades guy laughed (I'm glad, because I was half kidding) and said -- sure, kids always like to have toy soldiers and aliens that can battle.
    Because, as we all know, it's perfectly fine to indoctrinate our children in the fine arts of battle yet the minute anything remotely sexual is hinted at, call the Religious Right!

I've always been amazed at what some people put on their Christmas Trees too, so I guess there aren't any true boundries anymore anyway.

Bring 'em on! I've got cash. Titillate me!

We've actually had a thread about this playset & minifigs for months in the Micro Machines section, back when it was only coming out in the UK. Personally, I think it looks cool but far too late.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah? How long ago did they announce it and who's putting it out in the UK?

I'm not sure about it being too late -- well, maybe 18 years too late. McFarlane has their Alien thing going, and I'm sure with Alien vs. Predator coming out that Palisades is trying to get in on the action just a little.

You know, the first thing that I thought, was that they seemed a lot like Japanese candy toys.
    plasticfetish.net

Gashapon? They seem a little simple for that I think. You should see some of the Trek, Aliens & SW gashapon they've been showing off in the Micro Machines section, super-amazing paint jobs and sculpts, way above anything we have here. Of course, in Japan, the machines they come out of charge like $5 each for 'em, crazy Japanese collectors.

I finally found that thread, wasn't exactly what I thought though, but it is a mention of this set from 3 months ago: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=323170
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Kids and army men work with any theme. The little plastic dudes still have a lot of appeal. So to introduce an alien and a cool looking soldier should work even without the movie.

At our house there isa bucket with civil war, cowboys and indians, knights and dragons, green army, brown army, zoo, farm and police plastic guys. Aliens would be a welcome introduction.

I think they would have worked better back when the movies were big, even if they are not marketed for kids. With all the other toy and collectable options out there, it's a little much for cast plastick figure IMO. it's still cool that Aliens can pull that kind of product, and after Alien Vs. Preadator, maybe we'll see even a larger push for more Alien stuff.

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Gashapon? They seem a little simple for that I think. You should see some of the Trek, Aliens & SW gashapon they've been showing off in the Micro Machines section, super-amazing paint jobs and sculpts, way above anything we have here. Of course, in Japan, the machines they come out of charge like $5 each for 'em, crazy Japanese collectors.
    Oh yeah! We have one of those Enterprise D toys -- worst thing about buying them is that the boxes don't tell you which ship's inside. They're really nice though. (I could tell you where to find them at retail in the LA area if you want to know.) Wish I could have found those Alien toys... never saw them at all.

As far as detail goes... yeah, most gashapon, especially lately are more detailed. Though, the alien figure kind of reminded me of a few other alien/monster gashapon that I've got (see pics below.)

Quote Originally Posted by aceguide
    The little plastic dudes still have a lot of appeal. So to introduce an alien and a cool looking soldier should work even without the movie.
    This is true. They're the perfect "backyard" toy really.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baltan.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	8786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meltdown_g.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	8787  
    plasticfetish.net