Thread: Did Hasbro err?

Did Hasbro err?

Having just made a trip out to a Kmart and a Target for some non-Star Wars toy items, I thought to cruise past the toy aisle. I did find the Leia figure/cup pack from JediDrew so it wasn't all for nothing.

Anyhow, I noticed that there is just a colossal number of OT figures in SAGA packaging that are just hanging around on the pegs. These are, more or less, the same figures that have been hanging there (at the Targets, Wal*Marts and Kmarts that I frequent) since the end of March. Many of these figures are going to start showing up on OTC packaging soon. In order to get the new waves, the stores are going to end up with more of the same old figures but on new packaging. I don't know how much interest in these figures will be generated by the DVD release. I have a feeling that it won't be enough to move the stale SAGA versions of the OTC figures off the pegs fast enough. Then again, will the SAGA figures move at all considering the reissues will feature much more attractive packaging?

Just a thought.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Re: Did Hasbro err?

I think people will be more apt to buy the OTC cards with the DVD, but they have to be displayed near each other. A perosn buying the DVD will not head to the toy aisle think about new packaging if they do not collect.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I think people will be more apt to buy the OTC cards with the DVD, but they have to be displayed near each other. A perosn buying the DVD will not head to the toy aisle think about new packaging if they do not collect.
    You hit it pretty much on the mark there.

If stores that have overstock of SAGA figs are smart, they'll put them closer to where the DVD are. Then again to coincide with the DVD they probably have the new stuff next to the DVD'a. Either way, figures are going to get sold.

Now if they are ignorant and just keep the toys in the toy aisle, you'll probably see the same SAGA and even OTC figs in the aisle until EPIII.

When, once again, stores will get burned for over ordering crap and not clearancing the old stuff.

-Sal
    Move along, move along

I brought up similar concerns in another thread. I can't remember which one specifically to direct you. I thought that not only were the HOF and OTC figures being released back to back, but that there were too many overlaps in the figures being offered. I'm guessing that part of this was that Hasbro didn't know that there was going to be a DVD release until the last minute, and that there never were plans for the OTC line until then. (The Dagobah and Bespin waves would probablyhave been Saga releases). By the time they figured this out it was too late to hold the HOF sets.

My concerns were what the future of the SW line was going to be if the OTC and HOF figures peg warmed instead of being the hit w/newbies that Hasbro's hoping for. Will it kill the line after ROTS, if they don't sell? Or, will Hasbro wake up to the fact that we, the fans, are really the ones buying the line, and not some imagined giant kid base? If the latter happens, does this mean we'll get more of the background characters we want and fewer resculpts of the leads?

Considering that I've only found three of the VOTC figures and not seen a single OTC figure, maybe my concerns are unfounded. But, the other possibility is that I'm not seeing them becasue there are still plenty of Hoth troopers, Jedi padawan 2-packs, and Captain Antilles figures clogging the pegs that no new figures are being put on the shelves.

Yeah... I think the warehouses are still shipping Saga cards at this time. Due to the lack of sales, I would imagine that Target & Wal*Mart central probably have quite a bit of that backstock left. Hasblah is probably hoping that they can get the OTCs into the stores by the end of August. I've noticed a lot of Saga restocking going on as of the last week so I am going to assume that the retail outlets are aware of the push.

Still, it would have been nice if Hasblah would have taken the repacking on OTC cards into consideration before just going forward with it. They could have given us any number of Han Solos or Princess Leias from the OT at that turn. They could have reissued CT Leia and POTJ Bespin Han instead of the same two that we've gotten in the last two years.

Oh, well.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

And the Endor wave would have been sweet just on the OTC cards as new figs for the line.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten