Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

August 2004: Monthly DVD Round-up!!

This month is pretty light for me (which is pretty good since I still have stuff on my list from ages ago that I haven't bought) but here's what I'm getting.

8/10

Children of the Damned/Village of the Damned
    Freaks

8/17

After Hours

8/24

Shaolin Soccer
    The Munsters - season one (Maybe for nostalgia more than quality)

8/31

Videodrome (uncut)

Re: August 2004: Monthly DVD Round-up!!

9th August
    Gothika

16th August
    Kill Bill: Volume 2

23rd August
    Bad Girls - Series 5
    Scooby Doo 2 - Monsters Unleashed

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

August 10th:
    -Kill Bill: Volume 2
    -The Lost Boys - 2 Disc SE

August 17th:
    -Goodfellas - 2 Disc SE
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Thak goodness that there is very little I want in August after a big July and the September monster looming.
    The only thing I know I want for sure is "The Best of Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog"
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Does anyone know when, if, there is going to be a Kill Bill deluxe set, as had been previously discussed in these DVD threads? I put off buying volume 1, for the 2 movie set, and am doing the same with vol. 2, though if there's no other versions on the horizon, I'll have to break down and get them.

August 31st

Invader ZIM (Volume 2) - Progressive Stupidity
    "I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me"-Area man

Well after an empty June and July (I am holding off on Hellboy until the 3-disc), there are a couple of DVD's this month.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 (August 10th)
    Disney’s Three Musketeers (August 17th)
    Passion of the Christ (August 31st)
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I broke down and Bought HELLBOY for $15. The extras are all really good, except there are only 3 deleted scenes, because the 3-disc set has 15 minutes of footage reincorporated into the movie. That is the essential difference. The 2-disc set is the theatrical cut, the 3-disc set has the director's extended cut, though it sounds more like delToro created that more for the fans and that he prefers the theatrical cut. The 3-dic set also comes with a Hellboy bust. If you buy the 2-disc set there's a $5 rebate towards the 3-disc set.

I actually came on not to talk about Hellboy, but to amend my list. August is not so light for me after all.

There's nothing I enjoy more than sitting back witha big bowl of popcorn and a crappy old horror movie and on August 24 Best Buy will have a slew of crappy horror movie double features courtesy of MGM.I will undoubtedly buy quite a few of them (I think they're all $10 as well).

Count Yorga/The Return of Count Yorga
    Theatre of Blood/Madhouse
    The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant/The Thing With Two Heads
    Attack of the Puppet People/The Village of Giants
    House of Usher/The Pit and the Pendulum
    The Monster that Challenged the World/It! The Terror From Beyond Space
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes/Dr. Phibes Rises Again
    The Land That Time Forgot/The People That Time Forgot

Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey
    Does anyone know when, if, there is going to be a Kill Bill deluxe set, as had been previously discussed in these DVD threads? I put off buying volume 1, for the 2 movie set, and am doing the same with vol. 2, though if there's no other versions on the horizon, I'll have to break down and get them.
    Unfortunately there is no word on anything yet B'Omarr. I think I remember Tarantino saying he wanted to give the complete film a limited theatrical re-release before bringing it to DVD though. If thats the case you might want to bite the bullet and buy the singles now, it could be a very long wait.

One movie I am adding to my list this month is the Predator 2-disc SE. At first I was going to pass on this but the extras sound pretty cool and apparently a ticket valid for 1 free admission to AVP is included so I think I'll get it.

Speaking of free movie tickets I'm really liking this new trend of packing them into DVD's. On more than one occasion I've been on the fence about upgrading or buying a DVD and these free tickets have justified a purchase in my eyes. If the ticket is for a movie I was planning on seeing anyway I usually end up getting these DVD's for about $11. I'm glad that collecting movies has become more mainstream and affordable because I vividly remember the days of paying an average of $40 for a movie on laserdisc.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”