Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mini Atari/Sega Game Consoles

While shopping at Target yesterday, I checked out all their goodies in their remodeled toy department. As I was looking for Star Wars figures, I came across something I've seen many times before. An Atari Joystick, complete with a mini game console that features 10 classic Atari games like Pitfall, Defender, and even arcade style games like Pole Position and Galaga. It runs on 4 AA batteries and plugs in the television rather conviently. They are pretty cheap, under $20. I've seen them at Toys 'R Us and other places but never thought to buy it, just because I only would like one or two of the games.

In the same endcap, there was something I didn't see before, a mini Sega Genesis console complete with 6 games. It was $29.99 and featured the same components as the Atari system above. The games caught my eye, especially Golden Axe, (one of my two fav classic arcade games) Sonic the Hedgehog, and Altered Beast. The other three were Kid Chameleon, Dr. Robotix Mean Bean Machine (a Tetris like game) and Flicker.

So I bought it, and I am hooked. I had a Sega Genesis, but never Golden Axe nor Sonic. The only thing I wish was included were instructions for the game (especially Kid Chameleon), but after tinkering around for a bit, you could figure out most of it.

I've seen Playstation and PS2 both feature compilation discs of classic games, but this system is a bit more unique. They also had some other classic system, that I never recognized (Toshi?) that featured games that looked rather familiar. Radica, is the company name that makes these nifty little devices. Anyone else have one of these systems or have any comments about them?
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Re: Mini Atari/Sega Game Consoles

I've seen them I think that they are great for a little bit of entertainment,and they are not too expensive, I only hope that they don't start releasing waves and waves of different games 'cause thats annoying.
    [SIGNATURE]

That is awesome! I was just thinking that I'd like to NES games in the controller/mini system style, even if it were only 2 or 3 games in it. But the Genesis was more powerful than the NES and this one has 6 games. That is pretty cool.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Haven't seen the Sega one yet, but I still have my first-edition Genesis from the day it came out (I got it for good grades). It CAME with Altered Beast, which was a great game but at the time got stale so fast because it was pretty much the ONLY game.

They're doing a Star Wars version of that Atari controller with the old SW games on it, should be out this fall.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I too still have my Sega Genesis plus adapter so I can still play my Sega Master games. I be looking for these Sega game mini-console though.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I found out the name of the one console that I thought was called Toshi, was actually Tachi. I was mistaken, it was sold in a seperate console, that Tachi was a different game system, when it really wasn't. I believe the company manufactures Atari Classics like Defender. It comes in an orange box and retails at $24.99.

BTW, they also have a Sponge Bob Joystick with a few Sponge Bob games and if you look carefully, you'll find them on sale, either at Wally-Marts or the Ms. Pac-Man one is one sale at Target.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

They have 2 Sponge Bob ones now, one of SB and the other of the Krusty Krab I believe, and a host of other licenses in the same vein. Remember when the Atari 2600 was out and they had all these generic games with movie & TV licenses as the theme? How did we get back to those days?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Do the controllers on these things have a plug for an AC Adapter?

I think they pug into the red, yellow and white AV jacks on newer tvs.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    I think they pug into the red, yellow and white AV jacks on newer tvs.
    Yeah, I know they have the AV jacks but I was talking about the power source. They run on batteries, but can you just hook an AC adapter to them and plug them into a wall socket? Seems like the batteries would run down quickly if you play for a long time.