Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry VOTC, HOF, WTF!...Enough with the abbreviations!

Call me old fashioned in my thirties, but please everybody, enough with the abbreviations. Just what the hell does HOF in front of an action figure mean? What about VOTC? Seriously, if you miss a few posts or are just new to the hobby there is almost no way to figure out what people are talking about half the time.

It's bad enough that we have a "Saga" line, a "Clone Wars" line, and the new "Original Trilogy Collection" line. It'd be nice to see a normal everyday Star Wars line and call it a day. But please try to not confuse the collecting experience by dropping in your own secret decoder ring terminology. Thanks!

Re: VOTC, HOF, WTF!...Enough with the abbreviations!

HOF = "Hall of Fame"
    VOTC = "Vintage: Original Trilogy Collection"
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Stilla - I'm an old codger of 32 myself, but even I can tell it's the bees knees to be hip with the lingo, Daddy-O.

Typing "ORIGINAL TRILOGY COLLECTION" and "ORIGINAL TRILOGY COLLECTION - VINTAGE PACKAGING" 1000 times a week requires way to much manual dexterity for these old crippled-up hands. That's it for me today, I'm off to take my shark cartelage .
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Exactly JJ.I much rather type OTC, VOTC, OT, PT,HTF, HOF, MOC, MIB, and so on than the entire words over and over again.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I don't think that was his point. I think he was saying can't come up with a line and just call it Star Wars. Enough with the code names.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

I agree. It'd be pointless to type that out a billion times, to the abbreviations are really necessary. I mean, c'mon Stilla, gotta get with the times daddio!! Maybe you are just getting too old. Next thing you know, you'll be waving a broom at kids yelling, "get off my lawn!" and telling them to "turn down their loud music." Get with the program, Gramps!!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by plo koon 200
    I don't think that was his point. I think he was saying can't come up with a line and just call it Star Wars. Enough with the code names.

Yeah, kinda that. I mean, it makes perfect sense for the Animated series figures to be a different "line" with different packaging. But seriously, for everything else, it's pointless. I mean, really, what was the real difference between Saga and Clone Wars? Or between Power of the Force and Saga? Nothing...nothing at all. They're all just figures in little bubbles on cardbacks. The size didn't change and the basic look didn't change. The only pertinent information a collector needs to have is when and where a "wave" will be released and what is in it. When this whole thing started up again in the 90s, my collection lived and died by the wave listings that SSG and other sites compiled. I knew essentially what was coming out when and where to get it. I could have cared less about the "line" it was from or whatever. Who cares? Once the figures come off the cards, they all look the same anyway. But now, it's less about the "waves" and all about the "lines." I think Hasbro is trying to confuse us out of the business. And now, with SSG discontinuing the standard Collector's Database (at least for the time being), I thank goodness for the KEBco One of Every Figure Club. Without a checklist to follow from here or elsewhere, I'd be sure to miss out on upcoming releases. Collecting shouldn't be this much work...

The whole point is so they can go to the retail buyers and say "Hey we go a new line of Star Wars with new spiffy packaging". Remember how Wal-Mart said no more Deluxe figures then Hasbro said look we have a new line called Ultra. I still can't believe Wal-Mart fell for it. The packaging change also helps people non collectors realize "Hey there is something new out".
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

Watch out for Old Man Stilla!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartnr
    Watch out for Old Man Stilla!
    Get off my lawn!