View Poll Results: Which secondary villain is the best?

Voters
1691. You may not vote on this poll
  • Darth Maul

138 8.16%
  • Nute Gunray

121 7.16%
  • Jango Fett

181 10.70%
  • Count Dooku

405 23.95%
  • Grand Moff Tarkin

339 20.05%
  • Boba Fett

212 12.54%
  • Jabba the Hutt

161 9.52%
  • Prince Xizor

7 0.41%
  • Exar Kun

94 5.56%
  • Grand Admiral Thrawn

33 1.95%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Which Secondary Villain is the Best?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    He's easily the most agile Sith warrior we've ever seen and a huge part, in what I feel, is the best choreographed Lightsaber duel in all 5 of the films. He also had a really unique look, which isn't easy in a universe as diverse as the one seen in SW. His double-bladed-lightsaber was a welcome variation on the classic Jedi/Sith weapon of choice and though his run was short he was the high point of TPM, for me at least.
    I agree, and if they decided to just edit the movie down to those scenes with him and Qui-Gon, I wouldn't argue.
    plasticfetish.net

Wow for alot of those who voted For Exar Kun not much has been commented on him.(so far he is 5th place). I voted for him based on because of who he is/was rather than who I might like initially. If you know the EU story of Kun, you would know that Palpy couldn't hold a candle to him. He was an insane, bloodthirsty madman that made the darkside that we know look like a blinding strobelight. He made Palpy look like a sweet little old church lady. If you are really into the Sith and are fascinated about how evil they were in their heyday, you should really try to get ahold of some of the KOTOR graphic novels, comics etc. Here is some info.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Before Vader, before Maul, before Sidious... there was a Dark Lord of the Sith that cast a shadow of terror and destruction across the galaxy. The ancient forces of the Republic and the Jedi banded together to stop the torrent of the dark side, and bring an end to Exar Kun's rule.

He began as a simple student, studying under the revered Jedi Master Vodo-Siosk Baas. Like the dark apprentices that would follow throughout history, a basic impatience undermined all of Kun's training. His pride did not have the boundaries that his instruction did. Eager to ascend beyond his Jedi abilities, Kun abandoned his master and journeyed to the strife-torn world of Onderon. There, he encountered the spirit of Freedon Nadd, an ancient Sith who gave him further instruction.

Through Nadd's disembodied commands, Kun voyaged to the Sith mausoleum world of Korriban. There, ancient Sith spirits tried Kun's resolve. His body was crushed in a cave-in of tons of rocks, and Kun could not call upon the Force to help himself. Yet, the dark side offered what the Force couldn't. By giving into his fear and rage, Kun was able to heal himself and clear the obstacles. He emerged from the caverns transformed, fueled by the dark side of the Force.

Following examples of ancient Sith Lords that preceded him, Kun came to the long forgotten Sith temples of Yavin 4. In Sith tradition, he took on an apprentice, the fallen Jedi Ulic Qel-Droma, and the two unleashed a scourge that would forever scar a galaxy. In the ages before Darth Bane's restrictions, Kun and Qel-Droma were able to recruit more Jedi into their ranks. Many young Jedi turned against their masters and slew them. Kun himself extinguished the life of Master Baas Baas in the halls of Coruscant's Senate chambers. It was a dark time indeed.

Kun was fixated in unleashing pure, unbridled power through ancient Sith means. He practiced Sith magic and alchemy, crafting horrific creatures on the moon of Yavin 4. He brandished a Sith lightsaber with twin blades that increased the potent weapon's lethality. His followers triggered ancient technologies that detonated the stars of the Cron Cluster, wiping out entire worlds and searing the surface of Ossus.

Finally, a joint Republic and Jedi taskforce came to Yavin 4 to capture Exar Kun. He knew he could not survive the attack, so he summoned his dark side energies and trapped his consciousness into the temples his Massassi warriors had built for him. For four millennia, Kun's disembodied spirit slumbered. The presence of a dozen Force-sensitives stirred his consciousness. It was now several years after the Battle of Endor, and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker had begun training Jedi at an academy on Yavin 4. Exar Kun's spirit sought to corrupt Skywalker's students and bring about a dark side reign again. He controlled Luke's most powerful student, Kyp Durron, but in the end, Luke's students united and were able to finally dispel Kun's spirit.

It's fitting that a villain such as Exar Kun, who spans millennia of the Star Wars timeline, also spans several media of licensed products. In 1994, he was first introduced as a shadowy spirit lurking in the temples of Luke's new training grounds, as explained in Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy. This introduction provided a few background details up for Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith, an epic comic series by Anderson and Tom Veitch set in the ancient times of the Sith and Jedi. By the end of the follow-up comic series, The Great Sith War, Kun was imprisoned in the Massassi temples, ready to live again in the novel series set thousands of years later. It should also be noted that Kun was the first to weild a double-bladed lightsaber, beating Darth Maul to the punch by several years.
    Last edited by scruffziller; 08-04-2004 at 09:27 AM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Cool post Scruff! Someone finally stepped up and explained that vote. Strangely though, Kun has only gotten 1 vote since yesterday, while Nute Gunray has received 33. I guess the fandom ebbs and flows around here about which villain is greatest.

By the way, how wild is it that Dooku is currently the leading villain followed by Tarkin? Remember when Hasbro was telling us that old men weren't popular villains?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I voted Dooku. He has a sort of class you don't see among villains, and is an intriguing character. I hope we learn more about him before he inevitably dies in ROTS so Anakin can become Sidious' 3rd (???) apprentice. He seems to have quite a bit of potential.

Tarkin would be a pretty close second after Dooku for me, I think. His only motivation is political power, through any means necessary, and he's willing to step on anyone in his quest for it. Jabba's the underworld counterpart to Tarkin, slimy where Tarkin is polished.

Thrawn is awesome, but less a villain than an honorable guy on the opposing army.

Jango Fett, since we know more about him, is more interesting than Boba, who, like Maul, is less a character than a licensing gimmick. Like Dooku (but to a lesser extent, it seems), his motivations are complex. Boba just wants cash, and Maul just wants revenge.

Nute Gunray is a spineless jellyfish, more a pawn than a villain in his own right. I expect Palpatine and/or Anakin to extract some pretty nasty revenge on him in ROTS. He's one that you love to hate and watch to see how low he'll sink next.

Xizor is completely without any redeeming qualities to me. He is ridiculously one-dimensional and was poorly characterized in SOTE. I cheered when he and Dash Rendar died within a few paragraphs of one another. They both sucked.

Exar Kun is, well, he's okay, but to be honest I've never had a tremendous amount of interest in the "ancient history" of the galaxy. The only story I can recall enjoying that took place prior to TPM would be "Rebellion," which leads directly into TPM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Cool post Scruff! Someone finally stepped up and explained that vote. Strangely though, Kun has only gotten 1 vote since yesterday, while Nute Gunray has received 33. I guess the fandom ebbs and flows around here about which villain is greatest.

By the way, how wild is it that Dooku is currently the leading villain followed by Tarkin? Remember when Hasbro was telling us that old men weren't popular villains?
    Thanx JT.

It is too bad that alot of SW fans don't get into EU. It may be percieved as being one dimensional because it doesn't have the luxury of being realized through film. But if folks would step back and see all the story material that is out there that tells the tale of this universe and how it ended up at "the movies," they would be suprised at what they will find.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I agree with Hellboy. I voted for Darth Maul. He is the coolest in battle IMO. Tarkin and Dooku are close for 2nd place but Maul is just a bad ***.

B.
    TDV
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Jango Fett, since we know more about him, is more interesting than Boba, who, like Maul, is less a character than a licensing gimmick. Like Dooku (but to a lesser extent, it seems), his motivations are complex. Boba just wants cash, and Maul just wants revenge.
    EC? You suprise me!! As a veteran around here you should well know that Boba Fett was just a really cool mysterious character way before he ever became a "licensing gimmick" as you put it. I know he was offered as special offer figure you could send in for before the release of "Empire", but alot of the bounty hunters were offered as promotion figures including IG-88 and Bossk that I'm positive of!

I remember somewhere back in my college days('90-'95) was the first time that I started to get a sense of what a huge cult following Fett actually had! This also had to be about the same time Lucas & Co got the same type of sense, 'because when they restarted selling liscencees to fund the special edition releases in '97, Fett did become a huge focus of products and figures!

These people voting for Dooku, I just don't get. I mean really, he's a boring character, a pawn of Palpatine, and if people are voting on that you like what Christopher Lee has done on other films also, just makes no sense in terms of this poll!

Also, someone said something about Boba Fett's voice being changed(and I'm assuming theres a ton of other changes) in the new OT dvd release? If thats true, I swear to god I will disband my Star Wars fandom forever and never buy another single product from any of Lucas or his lisencees again! To adjust the OT(esp after the special editions) so dramatically is the biggest betrayal not only to his fan base but to his art as well!
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"What happens in Indy STAYS in Indy!".[/FONT]
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"The only thing you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you".[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada
    It was for these reasons that I chose Tarkin also. Vader actually answered to him in ANH (or at least seemed to).
    I think that's why I voted for Tarkin. He seemed like the #2 man under the Emperor and Vader didn't seem to have all that much power in my eyes.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Xir
    Also, someone said something about Boba Fett's voice being changed(and I'm assuming theres a ton of other changes) in the new OT dvd release? If thats true, I swear to god I will disband my Star Wars fandom forever and never buy another single product from any of Lucas or his lisencees again! To adjust the OT(esp after the special editions) so dramatically is the biggest betrayal not only to his fan base but to his art as well!
    That is the very reason I went and bought the OT on DVD in its original form. I could not stand all these changes being done to it.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

My vote was for Jabba. He's the total package: repulsive, calculating, vengeful (to a fault) and most importantly - hilarious. One of my prequel highlights is STILL Jabba flicking that little chick off the railing during the podrace out of boredom, utterly priceless. Tarkin was colder and Maul kicked way more *** but I loves me Jabba.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008