Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bargain rather than fight. He's no Jedi. Really?

Bib Fortuna says, "Bargain rather than fight, he's no Jedi."

But the very first sequence in The Phantom Menace shows just that...two Jedi sent to negotiate politically. So where did Bib get this notion that Jedi don't bargain and only are around to fight? And why didn't anyone call him on it?

Re: Bargain rather than fight. He's no Jedi. Really?

Huh, I didn't realize that's what Bib was saying, it's not in the script, it says the line is huttesse (which is what I thought it was). The Jedi in TPM were not acting of their own accord, but on behalf and request of Chancellor Valorum, so I don't think that changes anything. Also, Bib is hardly a historian, so he may be under the incorrect assumption that the Jedi don't bargain (perhaps a rumor started by the Jedi to make their coming to the bargaining table seem that much more noble).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I guess if you are a trouble maker your only contact with law enforcement is brutal, not a peaceful negotiator type. Just like some intercity gang members aren't too aware of police charity, Jabba and crew aren't frequented by a Jedi without his sabre drawn.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

All too easy.
    Hating aurra sing since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Huh, I didn't realize that's what Bib was saying, it's not in the script, it says the line is huttesse (which is what I thought it was). The Jedi in TPM were not acting of their own accord, but on behalf and request of Chancellor Valorum, so I don't think that changes anything. Also, Bib is hardly a historian, so he may be under the incorrect assumption that the Jedi don't bargain (perhaps a rumor started by the Jedi to make their coming to the bargaining table seem that much more noble).
    Don't you get subtitles?

Anyhow, these answers are essentially rationalizations. Guesses if you will. But what we do see for certain are two Jedi going to negotiate (bargain) and several films later, one of the characters suggesting that such a thing is out of the ordinary for Jedi.

I never saw a subtitle for that line either.

To me it sounds like "Master blah blah blah blah blah, E no Jedi."

I always thought Bib was just mocking Luke for his claim and telling Jabba that he is of no threat.

Then when Luke gets tossed to the Rancor, Jabba says "He be Jedi he be Jedi" in a mocking way.

IF that is what Bib actually said, and I'm not saying it is, then I think Exhaust Port has the most plausible explanation.

Maybe it's a rationalization or maybe it's just not a big deal.

Hmm, odd thing. I just went back to check the subtitles and the translation isn't there. Weird. I know I've seen it before though. Or maybe I was just transposing the Lucas approved novelization dialogue into my memory:

Return of the Jedi Novelization, page 13

Bib spoke in Huttese. "Bargain rather than fight? He is no Jedi."
    The Huttese Bib actually speaks in the film sound pretty much like a pig latin version of that dialogue as he says something to the effect of: Bargain blah blah blah fight, blah blah is no Jedi.

In any case, that definitely is what he is saying, so Huttese and subtitles aside, this film tells us that Jedi don't negotiate while TPM tells us that they do.

What do you make of "No Jabba, no bodda"?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    What do you make of "No Jabba, no bodda"?
    Gee, I wonder.

But the novelization goes like this:

"Nee Jabba no badda. Me chaade su goodie." He held out his hand toward Artoo.

Which could easily be translated as "I'm not supposed to bother Jabba. Give me the gift."

Clearly, Bib was making a play to get the gift and pocket it for himself, but the droids refused to play that game.