Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoda's health

Yoda's health

This weekend I was watching ROTJ to kill some time, and something struck me as strange.

In Ep. I and II Yoda is full of life, kicking butt and leading troopers into battle and going up to the front line to save the jedi. And all this while papa skywalker is in a pre-teen to late teen. And we don't yet know how much butt kicking he does in Ep III...

Then in ROTJ, and if we use Del-Ray's time line of events we have 24 years between Ep II and ROTJ. What the crap happened to Yoda's health?

He's 800 or was it 900 years old, living on Degobah absorbing all the life around him in the force and then, WHAM-O the little guy up and dies. It doesn't seem like a gradual decline, more like a sharp drop off.

Life can end unexpectedly, but for a long lived species, he should have slowed way down and been super decrepid in Ep II. To decline that fast in 24 years sort of boggles the mind for all the years he lived.

So, any ideas on what did the poor little bugger in? Was he a smoker, heavy drinker...

Re: Yoda's health

It does not take a person for the heath to deteriorate fast I know by experience, my grandma has alzimer's (sp) and in the last year she went from a a very strong lady to a shell of her self. so i know that it does not take that long for a person to go from completely strong and healthy to a fragile old being

I think it's actually supposed to be 26.5 years between Ep 2 and 6, but close enough.

The picture his frog-on-hotplate routine in Ep 2 is shown to have taken a lot of extra Force concentration, and he's tapped by the end of the battle. When he leads the clones into battle, it's all strategy, he just stands and gives orders, it's not as taxing. Sadly, Ep 2 also suggests that something (possibly Sidious) is lessening the Jedi ability to tap into the Force, I think this is an awful plot-point, but this thinning of the pool may be what eventually causes Yoda's turn for the worse.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

To dovetail on JT's point, I always thought it was Yoda's strain on tapping into the Force. Here's my idea: Dagobah is "hidden," right? Well, I figured that Yoda used the life on the planet (maybe even chose a biologically rich world to make it easier) to cloak its existence. Once Vader, and therefore the Emperor, knew someone (not the dead Kenobi) trained "the son of Skywalker," they tried to feel through the Force where a Jedi Master might be. Yoda then would have to use more of the Force to keep Dagobah hidden, therefore draining his own lifeforce. Notice when Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing in ESB, how tired he seems. Using the Force for physical actions, might just take too much out of you. Easy, eh?

Or, for a less serious theory, he ate some bad swamp sushi.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 08-07-2004 at 10:17 AM.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I think he was very deteriorated 'cause Dagobah is full of swamps and just imagine 25 years of eating just a limited amount of food, it can makes you very weak, he also was alone and never saw somebody until he met Luke, and loneliness makes you sad and a sad person is not so healthy, he also might feel sad because he saw many jedis die.
    [SIGNATURE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    To dovetail on JT's point, I always thought it was Yoda's strain on tapping into the Force. Here's my idea: Dagobah is "hidden," right? Well, I figured that Yoda used the life on the planet (maybe even chose a biologically rich world to make it easier) to cloak its existence. Once Vader, and therefore the Emperor, knew someone (not the dead Kenobi) trained "the son of Skywalker," they tried to feel through the Force where a Jedi Master might be. Yoda then would have to use more of the Force to keep Dagobah hidden, therefore draining his own lifeforce. Notice when Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing in ESB, how tired he seems. Using the Force for physical actions, might just take too much out of you. Easy, eh?

Or, for a less serious theory, he ate some bad swamp sushi.
    Yoda kept himself hidden on Dagobah because of the darkside energy coming from the cave(which is actually a crashed ship of an ancient dark bothan Jedi)that Luke went into. Because he was strong in the lightside and the cave/ship was strong with the darkside they would cancel each other out, camaflouging their existence. Maybe it was the darkside energy wearing him down? But I just buy the going from lively to nothing quick theory.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

This is another thing that I've found confusing. From the trilogy it seems that old men jedi are hampered by their physical state. Yoda says the force is only an ally, so when old age catches up to them, they just don't move the same as they once could: old man obi-wan vs old vader, older vader vs jedi luke. Even in TPM we see qui-gon not nearly as agile as young obi-wan.

Then we learn, that vader actually was only 40 in the trilogy, not an older man. Then AOTC comes out and we see one of the most impressive duels between an 85 year old human and an 875 year old yoda. Something isn't right there. Those 25 years that passed were only 2.5 years in yoda years, so it really shouldn't have affected him that much. But, the swamp probably wasn't the healthiest environment for someone pushing 90. An explanation would be nice, though, after seeing yoda in action in AOTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    I don't think Dagobah is "hidden", when Luke informs R2 that they're going to the Dagobah system, he says it like they're going to New Jersey rather than the Bermuda Triangle. I suspect you're right about Yoda hiding on the planet using all the life there to cloak his existence there, but not that the planet itself is hidden.

That's an interesting theory about the Sith searching the galaxy for Yoda and this requires his full powers to stave off which leads to draining him to near-death. I've not heard it before, it seems to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Katarn
    I think he was very deteriorated 'cause Dagobah is full of swamps and just imagine 25 years of eating just a limited amount of food, it can makes you very weak
    I think Yoda had no problem finding food on Dagobah, he even made a big kettle of chow for Luke and he to share, and was generally quite spry in ESB. Also, on the loneliness/sadness issue, I would think a trained Jedi mind would be able to keep that at bey, especially considering how long Yoda's race tends to live for.

Scruff, I'm afraid that whole dark cave thing is too EU for me.

Turambar, you make a good case, but I don't think any specific age makes a man, especially one in tune with the Force, that much less of an athelete until his body completely deteriorates. Obi-Wan in ANH whipped out his lightsaber with vim and vigor in the cantina, and moved with stealth and purpose aboard the Death Star. As for Vader, I think we're now supposed to assume his mechanical body has slowed him or something, but ESB definitely contradicts this and some of his fighting in ROTJ suggests otherwise as well (even after Luke cut his shoulder in ESB). I'm not saying you're wrong in your theory, but after living in a swamp for 25 years in a swamp, why would 6 more months be that much more detrimental?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Very good ideas and theories.

Well its more EU than anything, but look how many times Luke, Mara, the Jacen and Jaina went into the Jedi trances on long journeys and to heal up.
    With Dagobah nothing but a major source of "force" life why couldn't Yoda tap into that to pass time and go into a sort of hibernation?

Or would there be a theory that the weird midicolorians?(sp) age and after so long the little things in your blood die out or age with you? But then that really wouldn't work with the emperor or obi-wan since they were old and still on top of their game. Or is there something about the force we don't know about yet?

Yoda lived on (what is presumably) a foreign planet for 20+ years without any sort of medical attention (or possibly limited supplies). I always assumed he just got sick from a disease that originated on Dagobah and either died from it or just never recovered and his health deteriorated.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!