View Poll Results: Have you thought about getting bootleg OT DVDs?

Voters
394. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I am only going to buy the LFL-approved DVDs

133 33.76%
  • No, I won't get the OT on DVD, official or bootleg

5 1.27%
  • Perhaps I've toyed with the idea, but likely no bootlegs for me

29 7.36%
  • I've thought about it, but haven't made up my mind yet

28 7.11%
  • I'm seriously considering a bootleg as well as the official DVDs

146 37.06%
  • I'm seriously considering a bootleg INSTEAD OF the official DVDs

53 13.45%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Have you thought about getting bootleg OT DVDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightfall
    George Lucas does NOT have the right to alter his films whenever his "vision" changes
    Hate to say it but- They are HIS films..
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

I voted for "I'm seriously considering a bootleg as well as the official DVDs" and I am not really totally sure if I'll be getting the official DVD release at all. It seems like I really underestimated how many fans already own bootlegs though, but I'm not regretting leaving that option out of this poll because it sends a more specific message.

Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey
    It's sad that Lucas won't recognize our desire to have the films available in their original versions (or even their SE versions), if nothing more than just for the historic significance of being able to watch this groundbreaking trilogy the way it was first seem almost three decades ago.

Doesn't Lucas support film preservation, or is he one of those people that was all for colorizing black and white movies?
    Your first quoted paragraph is so true, and infuriating when you read his comments about Columbia TriStar offering a colorized option their recent 3 Stooges DVDs which ties into the second paragraph: http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30502
    Apparently, it's quite alright for him to go back and tear his old films apart adding whatever junk he deems fit, but for anybody else to offer a change it's blasphemy to him - what a hypocrite he is!

Quote Originally Posted by tk006ecg
    If Lucas' buddy Spielberg can do the fans right with the re release of ET in both the original theatrical release and the extended newer version then why must George alienate his diehard fans that have almost religiously followed Star Wars since the 70's? Star Wars is like a part of our culture and has become such a presence in our lives that it goes way beyond any one man even if he is the creative force behind it. Get over yourself George and let us have that unfinished OT work that so dearly reminds us of our childhoods and what we once loved about your movies growing up. Will the Star Wars I grew up on forever remain trapped on an inferior format without the great extras offered to the select few who are lucky enough to own the Laser Disc versions?

You're darn right I'll support a bootlegger if George is going to deny me! Sure I'll buy the modern version but I don't promise not to get sick to my stomach when I watch Anakin's spirit replaced with a young Hayden Christianson!
    Absolutely! Spielberg understood that the audience that supported his film 20 years ago and helped make it such a phenomenon would want that original version no matter what changes were offered, the film was a part of history as it was originally released and he respected that. Meanwhile, Lucas continues to deny us the real Original Trilogy and wants to rewrite history to suit his modern vision.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    "Perhaps I've toyed with the idea, but likely no bootlegs for me."

I'll buy the new DVD set, but I'm also more than likely to end up making my own DVDs from laserdisc at some point.
    If you plan on making your own boots from the LD set, you would fit under the "I'm seriously considering a bootleg as well as the official DVDs" option, I worded it and the opening post to not say "buying", whether you make your own or get them free from a friend or trade an action figure for 'em, you're considering a set of boots, right?

Quote Originally Posted by scruff
    How weird it is that the "are seriously considering/own them already and own GLs DVDs" and will only own GLs DVDs are almost split down the middle.

So this is why we can't get GL to release all versions of the movie. Half of the fans are standing with him on his descision.
    I also find it really weird how split it was, I didn't know what to expect really though. You make a good point in that 2nd quoted paragraph which I hadn't really thought of. I guess I'm a sucker in that I have given serious thought to getting boots, but I plan on getting the official DVDs as well because I want the image quality.

I also have the SE on DVD bootlegged from the Chinese Laserdisks. They are somehwat difficult to watch since the english and chinese subtitles are above and below the picture. So they are an eye distraction.
    A friend of mine loaned those to me, they're REALLY bad! The image quality is fairly poor (don't dare zoom in on anything ) and those subtitles are just annoying as heck - I certainly wouldn't pay anything for this set of boots.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    Ya see, I am not buying the official DVD versions, because they are not they official movie. To hell with all these changes. Its not like adding color to a B&W film, it changed the movie completely from what it once was. Removing characters, adding scenes, George cant see it now, but I am giving him the finger.
    That's why I added the "INSTEAD OF" option, I figured there would be a few folks like yourself on this one. I definitely understand your line of thinking, though I am too much of a chump to not buy the official DVDs myself.

It seems like there's a lot of passion on this issue, I can definitely understand that, I feel it myself. I wish I could go with the Definitive Collection LDs, but it's an expensive route and I don't like flipping discs and I fear laser rot. I do want the data on those discs, but not in the LD format. I have not actually seen a full transfer of the LDs to DVD though, the closest versions I've seen are missing half the extras.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks

Your first quoted paragraph is so true, and infuriating when you read his comments about Columbia TriStar offering a colorized option their recent 3 Stooges DVDs . . .

Apparently, it's quite alright for him to go back and tear his old films apart adding whatever junk he deems fit, but for anybody else to offer a change it's blasphemy to him - what a hypocrite he is!
    Yeah, this really ticked me off. It's a frigging joke that he can say this with a straight face when Columbia is AT LEAST STILL OFFERING THE UNTOUCHED BLACK & WHITES. Talk about NOT practicing what you preach.

It's embarrassing. Just flat out embarrassing.

Lucas has seriously self destructed. Star Wars it NOT what it once was. The Prequels have made him an absolute joke in the minds of critics and fans alike.

The new scripts suck. The characters are bland, the performances blander.
    Even the design department has gotten lazy! Look! Let's take a stormtrooper and cross it with Boba to make a clone! Ugh, it's all so shoddy.

The effects HAVE taken over, and you know what? They're really NOT that great. I'd take Greedo in a rubber mask over a CG Jabba any day. CG doesn't look nearly as great as it's creators think it does.

The emperor has no clothes. And I'm tired of watching Lucas stand around with his (Censored by MARK2D2) in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by mark2d2
    The effects HAVE taken over, and you know what? They're really NOT that great. I'd take Greedo in a rubber mask over a CG Jabba any day. CG doesn't look nearly as great as it's creators think it does.
    I totally agree with this. The space battle in Return of the Jedi looks a trillion times better than anything you could ever do with CG. No matter how hard they try you can always tell when something is CG and you just can't get the amount of detail into CG that a model make can get in. I'll take rubber masks and models any day.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I wish I could go with the Definitive Collection LDs, but it's an expensive route and I don't like flipping discs and I fear laser rot. I do want the data on those discs, but not in the LD format.
    Well they do make players that flip the sides of the discs for you but the material is spread out over 3 discs per movie so you would have to change those. As far as laser rot goes I have over 200 laserdiscs and have never experienced it. Granted I've always made sure to store all of my discs upright in a cool dry place but if you can find a set in great condition you shouldn't have a problem keeping them rot free based on my experience.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

I'm not giving George Lucas a penny on DVD product until he reverses his decision on not making the original versions available (even if that day never comes). I will check out whatever original-version transfers to DVD I can find, as well as download and burn the new SE DVDs for free (just to spite Lucas). I grew up worshiping the man in the late 1970s and 1980s, but George Lucas has done a lot in recent years to really spoil the goodwill that fans have towards him.
    What am I, a Moisture Farmer, an Angry Loner or a Sith Apprentice - I can't keep up!

That's why I added the "INSTEAD OF" option, I figured there would be a few folks like yourself on this one. I definitely understand your line of thinking, though I am too much of a chump to not buy the official DVDs myself.
    And I thank you for that.

It seems like there's a lot of passion on this issue, I can definitely understand that, I feel it myself. I wish I could go with the Definitive Collection LDs, but it's an expensive route and I don't like flipping discs and I fear laser rot. I do want the data on those discs, but not in the LD format. I have not actually seen a full transfer of the LDs to DVD though, the closest versions I've seen are missing half the extras.
    I dont really care for the extras. My main goal was to get the movies and thats what I did. I barely watch the extras anyway. I can not stand commentary mode becuase it subtracts from the movie. If I wanted to see that, I would watch MST3K, gat least thats funny. But I just wanted the movies in there "ORIGINAL FORM" and I got that.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'm not crazy about commentaries either, KidHuman. I can think of only one movie I listened to the commentary and it was A Christmas Story.

I'll probably listen to the trilogy commentaries at least once just for the heck of it.

I haven't followed everything here, but there was no option for if we have a copy of the original versions, which I do have. The quality isn't bad, but not great. I wanted to get them for if and when my VHS copies go bad.

And yes, I'll be buying the official versions in a month.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Quote Originally Posted by mastermatt24
    Hate to say it but- They are HIS films..
    I'd start into the "he may have made the films but they don't belong to only him, they belong just as much to the fans who embraced the films and put him in the position he's in today" speech, but that's getting off-topic, and besides, there's a great episode of "South Park" that explains it rather nicely--check it out sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by mark2d2
    Lucas has seriously self destructed. Star Wars it NOT what it once was. The Prequels have made him an absolute joke in the minds of critics and fans alike.

The new scripts suck. The characters are bland, the performances blander.
    Even the design department has gotten lazy! Look! Let's take a stormtrooper and cross it with Boba to make a clone! Ugh, it's all so shoddy.

Well said.
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=red][I]Knightfall: Star Wars Stockboy Supreme[/I][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#0000ff][URL="http://www.xanga.com/red_megaranger"][/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]