View Poll Results: Have you thought about getting bootleg OT DVDs?

Voters
394. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I am only going to buy the LFL-approved DVDs

133 33.76%
  • No, I won't get the OT on DVD, official or bootleg

5 1.27%
  • Perhaps I've toyed with the idea, but likely no bootlegs for me

29 7.36%
  • I've thought about it, but haven't made up my mind yet

28 7.11%
  • I'm seriously considering a bootleg as well as the official DVDs

146 37.06%
  • I'm seriously considering a bootleg INSTEAD OF the official DVDs

53 13.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Have you thought about getting bootleg OT DVDs?

With the recent news of the upcoming Original Trilogy DVD set having even more changes beyond the Special Editions, as well as Lucas saying that we won't be seeing another release of the classic pre-SE versions, many fans have been discussing - pro and con - the possibility of buying or making their own bootleg OT DVDs. There are currently several different OT bootlegs on the market, ranging in quality - from above-VHS decent even with a few extras to fuzzy and having permanent red Chinese subtitles - and sources - from the Definitive Collection laserdiscs to Asian VCDs to poor transfers from the THX videotapes - these bootlegs generally receive mixed reviews, but it hasn't stopped purists from pining away for classic, pre-'97 versions of the film on the DVD format.

So the question is, have you actually thought about getting OT bootleg DVDs, and if so, what was the result?

(If you already own a copy of the bootlegs, please vote for the "I'm seriously considering..." option that best suits your opinion.)

Re: Have you thought about getting bootleg OT DVDs?

i've had the SE as bootlegs for quite a long time. the quality is slightly better than the vhs version of it. if i could locate a decent quality bootleg of the not-so-special editions i'd get it as well. but i'll also pick up the official release in the boxset.

JT, I couldn't vote since I already OWN the bootlegs. If you put that as an option, please tally my vote for it.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    JT, I couldn't vote since I already OWN the bootlegs. If you put that as an option, please tally my vote for it.
    KH, if you already own them, just vote for either of the "I'm seriously considering..." options, since the last time you thought about it, you DID seriously think about getting them -- and then acted on it. I'll amend the opening post to mention that.

I didn't put up an option for already owning the boots though because of the pesky legal issues surrounding them.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Understood. My vote is counted.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Understood. My vote is counted.
    yeah, and uh, tally my vote in the same category as KH's as we both fit into that category of already owning the OT, not SE mind you (and dont' even start Binks) on DVD.

I will buy the newer ones though as i'm semi-looking forward to them.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I did buy Episode I and OT Special Edition bootleg DVDs in early 2001. They are widescreen and pretty good quality; I think they were copied from the SE laserdiscs released in Asia. The bad thing is the Chinese subtitles overlay the English subtitles during alien dialogue. I bought them since I never got the SE versions when they were releasesd on VHS.

With the changes that I hear being made to the OT on the upcoming DVDs, I may just spring for a new Laserdisc player instead and be content watching my Definitive Collection laserdisc box set.

The only reason I'm buying the official ones is for the packaging and bonus features (also for some changes like the new ANH Jabba). But I am going to get the laserdisc transfers of the original-original trilogy, and possibly the SE ones, too. I would rather have the original classics than the crapped-on ultra deluxe fancy-shmancy versions.
    "Chad Vader to aisle 5 for vomit cleanup. Chad to aisle 5 for vomit cleanup."

Buy the laser discs you cheap [edited by jedi master sal] implied explicative removed [end edit]
    Last edited by jedi master sal; 08-10-2004 at 08:49 AM.

I voted for "I'm seriously considering a bootleg as well as the official DVDs" and I am not really totally sure if I'll be getting the official DVD release at all. It seems like I really underestimated how many fans already own bootlegs though, but I'm not regretting leaving that option out of this poll because it sends a more specific message.

Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey
    It's sad that Lucas won't recognize our desire to have the films available in their original versions (or even their SE versions), if nothing more than just for the historic significance of being able to watch this groundbreaking trilogy the way it was first seem almost three decades ago.

Doesn't Lucas support film preservation, or is he one of those people that was all for colorizing black and white movies?
    Your first quoted paragraph is so true, and infuriating when you read his comments about Columbia TriStar offering a colorized option their recent 3 Stooges DVDs which ties into the second paragraph: http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30502
    Apparently, it's quite alright for him to go back and tear his old films apart adding whatever junk he deems fit, but for anybody else to offer a change it's blasphemy to him - what a hypocrite he is!

Quote Originally Posted by tk006ecg
    If Lucas' buddy Spielberg can do the fans right with the re release of ET in both the original theatrical release and the extended newer version then why must George alienate his diehard fans that have almost religiously followed Star Wars since the 70's? Star Wars is like a part of our culture and has become such a presence in our lives that it goes way beyond any one man even if he is the creative force behind it. Get over yourself George and let us have that unfinished OT work that so dearly reminds us of our childhoods and what we once loved about your movies growing up. Will the Star Wars I grew up on forever remain trapped on an inferior format without the great extras offered to the select few who are lucky enough to own the Laser Disc versions?

You're darn right I'll support a bootlegger if George is going to deny me! Sure I'll buy the modern version but I don't promise not to get sick to my stomach when I watch Anakin's spirit replaced with a young Hayden Christianson!
    Absolutely! Spielberg understood that the audience that supported his film 20 years ago and helped make it such a phenomenon would want that original version no matter what changes were offered, the film was a part of history as it was originally released and he respected that. Meanwhile, Lucas continues to deny us the real Original Trilogy and wants to rewrite history to suit his modern vision.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    "Perhaps I've toyed with the idea, but likely no bootlegs for me."

I'll buy the new DVD set, but I'm also more than likely to end up making my own DVDs from laserdisc at some point.
    If you plan on making your own boots from the LD set, you would fit under the "I'm seriously considering a bootleg as well as the official DVDs" option, I worded it and the opening post to not say "buying", whether you make your own or get them free from a friend or trade an action figure for 'em, you're considering a set of boots, right?

Quote Originally Posted by scruff
    How weird it is that the "are seriously considering/own them already and own GLs DVDs" and will only own GLs DVDs are almost split down the middle.

So this is why we can't get GL to release all versions of the movie. Half of the fans are standing with him on his descision.
    I also find it really weird how split it was, I didn't know what to expect really though. You make a good point in that 2nd quoted paragraph which I hadn't really thought of. I guess I'm a sucker in that I have given serious thought to getting boots, but I plan on getting the official DVDs as well because I want the image quality.

I also have the SE on DVD bootlegged from the Chinese Laserdisks. They are somehwat difficult to watch since the english and chinese subtitles are above and below the picture. So they are an eye distraction.
    A friend of mine loaned those to me, they're REALLY bad! The image quality is fairly poor (don't dare zoom in on anything ) and those subtitles are just annoying as heck - I certainly wouldn't pay anything for this set of boots.

Ya see, I am not buying the official DVD versions, because they are not they official movie. To hell with all these changes. Its not like adding color to a B&W film, it changed the movie completely from what it once was. Removing characters, adding scenes, George cant see it now, but I am giving him the finger.
    That's why I added the "INSTEAD OF" option, I figured there would be a few folks like yourself on this one. I definitely understand your line of thinking, though I am too much of a chump to not buy the official DVDs myself.

It seems like there's a lot of passion on this issue, I can definitely understand that, I feel it myself. I wish I could go with the Definitive Collection LDs, but it's an expensive route and I don't like flipping discs and I fear laser rot. I do want the data on those discs, but not in the LD format. I have not actually seen a full transfer of the LDs to DVD though, the closest versions I've seen are missing half the extras.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.