Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ...but you DO have the large DV TIE without the battle damage right? I seem to remember your saying you had all the numbered vehicles, so you have to have the large DV TIE.

I've not seen any difference in either the TIE fighter or Snowspeeder in the first and second Death Star AF set and the Ice Planet Hoth AF sets. You're in luck .....just packaging differences.

The scans you have sent me, not including the ones you posted today are:

boxed A-Wing Solid Side panel
    boxed Rancor (Luke no bone)
    boxed Interceptors
    boxed Japanese Sandcrawler
    boxed Japanese Snowpeeder
    boxed Japanese X-wing

...no B-wing scan that I can remember I'd love a scan whenever you get the chance...no hurry:happy:
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [FONT=tahoma]I'm a SW Fan, Honk if you R2![/FONT]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [FONT=fixedsys]GREAT TRADERS! [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma]Baal
    good shot jansen
    JediTricks
    shinakuma43
    SWAFMAN
    Thrawn
    vulcantouch-legendary bounty hunter!
    [/FONT]

R2 Up to her neck in sand on the beaches of Hawaii

Oh! ....and the Battlepack picture
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [FONT=tahoma]Baal
    good shot jansen
    JediTricks
    shinakuma43
    SWAFMAN
    Thrawn
    [/FONT]

Red face man o' man o'

variations flowed like milk and honey back in the good ol' daze of the buzz a varient collectors dream world it wuz!

i don't recall, did anyone pose the quextion to jkf back in the days when we had his ear, about all these varients which run rampant through the action fleet line?

does anyone remember if a reason was ever given? particularly with regards to the battle packs. was that strictly a cost savings measure, or was built-in collectability being provided fer those lucky enough to snag initial releases of the line?

questions questions questions

np: taboo! - "it's natural" wigstock soundtrack, from what has become the most Valuable Tape in my collection of late
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

R2: I do have the large DV TIE numbered & boxed, boxed, and loose. The only DV TIE variation I need is the smaller version without battle damage paint loose. Hmm, if it is out there in a box with a Gold Logo I'd need that too.

Thanks for the info on the Silver Logo playsets. I am in luck, rather than having to get them loose and boxed I just need them boxed.

Ok, I'll try to get the B-Wing pic for you soon. I also have a Virago in Japanese packaging now too so I'll take a pic of that as well. I also got a set of Micro Machines from a guy in Japan a couple months ago. I saw, I think, a set of 8 of them on ebay a long time ago that went for 65.00. I now know there are 12 in the set and I got all 12 for more than double the 65.00, but I just had to have them. In case i don't get a chance to take a pic soon each set has one vehicle and one figure and the cards are smaller than the US single carded MMs.

If anyone has, or knows were I can get, any other Japanese packaged Action Fleet items other than the Rogue 2, Virago, Sandcrawler, or Jek's X-Wing please let me know. I'd settle for knowing which ones were released. I do know the Rancor was released. It was the first one I ever saw in Japanese packaging but someone decided to go all the way up to 102.50 for it about a year ago on ebay. That was just too much for me though.

Later,
    S43

R2: I just took a quick loo at your site, mainly the EP1 MMs section. I had no idea the Gungans and Battle droids were also available on the first edition cards, I guess I need them now. Well, I noticed you didn't have an image of set XIII, so here you go:

Episode 1 MM set XIII

Later,
    S43

Thanks again!!

S43...wow, it must be Christmas around here. I've been getting all these scans Thanks!! I've added XIII to my webpage.

GSJ, as far as the Battlepacks go, I just remember reading that they were omitting that last figure purely as a cost cutting measure. I don't think most people were buying these packs for collectibility. I think with the AF Vader TIE, the change in size was just like the POTF2 lightsaber change...the proportion just wasn't right. Adding the battle damage MIGHT have been something to induce peolpe to buy another vehicle JT will be a lot more knowledgeable in this matter I'm sure!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [FONT=tahoma]Baal
    good shot jansen
    JediTricks
    shinakuma43
    SWAFMAN
    Thrawn
    [/FONT]

Galoob costcutting? No way, they'd never do anything like that. That's what I figure everything was too. The removal of the logo coloring from the stands, the side panels no longer being cut out and windowed, the battle packs going to flat cards from 12-18 (which are IMO better than the first design). Episode 1 MMs then went even further, they started coming with only one figure and the boxes were just a rectangle which I'm sure is cheaper to produce than the classic AF boxes.

My guess about the Battle Damaged paint though is that they got the idea after doing the first 2 playsets. The BD DV TIE and BD Snowspeeder would have to be the first 2 vehicles made with the BD paint effects. They probably used them from then on all the AFs they did, including adding them to the ones which already existed.

Later,
    S43

All youy say is very true, except that by the time the episode 1 vehicles came on Galoob was no longer there. It was Hasbro cutting the costs.

Robert, IIRC, Galoob designed all the Ep 1 MM and AF stuff, even the packaging, before they were bought by Hasbro. They even dropped the AF figure pack-in count to 1 before Hasbro's mean ol' slashers came in.

Still, Galoob wouldn't have overproduced Ep 1 wave 1 so badly and wouldn't have killed the line after only a few waves just because of wave 1's poor sales either.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I never knew that.

But I think you are not correct on the designing (don't flame me just yet, just a few observations coming up and I would like to find out exactly what happened). If galoob already did the designing for all ep1 stuff then it stands to reason they wouldn't have printed "collect all 4" on the back of the first wave of Action Fleet vehicles, but would have gone for "collect all 16" right of the bat.
    Plus, I know I saw stuff, like the Death Star, the Alpha podracer and the star destroyer in pre production fase long after Hasbro took over, and they never came to full production as far as I know. This would strongly suggest that there was still designing done under Hasbro supervision. I especially doubt that the reintroduction of new classic Star Wars toys was something that was thought up before Hasbro took over Galoob.

Of course, this all in no means takes away from your remark that Galoob cut the costs and not Hasbro.

What would be interesting to know is what exactly happened to Galoob when Hasbro took over. Did they continue as a department of Hasbro working from the old Galoob site, did they get transfered to Hasbro's, or what.